CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

That honestly isn't too awful. Less kids are on spring break than when Cap came out, and it doesn't have the benefit of massive internet excitement/strong fanboy goodwill that Cap had to drive up the rush. It should still play exceedingly well with families and have a super strong Saturday. It's not a world-beater clearly, but we knew it wouldn't be. I still think this number puts it in line for 90 million. 

• Like 9

The midnight number is low but the weekend could be much bigger because of the supposed family interest in this. while this number is interesting I don't really think it gives us a clear view of what it will or won't do.

• Like 14

That honestly isn't too awful. Less kids are on spring break than when Cap came out, and it doesn't have the benefit of massive internet excitement/strong fanboy goodwill that Cap had to drive up the rush. It should still play exceedingly well with families and have a super strong Saturday. It's not a world-beater clearly, but we knew it wouldn't be. I still think this number puts it in line for 90 million. 

THE ACCEPTABLE SPIDER-MAN.

• Like 11

Looks like it's gonna be a boring opening, and probably one of those 'don't really give a shit' runs.

I give a massive shit how this run goes. I still hope it finishes under200. Im still bitter at the last one.
  • Like 4

I'm not surprised by that number. My theater at a 8 PM showing had roughly 35 people in it and that screening holds 325. Had my pick of quality seats 2 minutes before the house lights went down. Glad I stuck with my $85 million prediction. I'm also glad I saw it too. Completely surprised by how good it was. I hope more people feel that way and WOM from the general audience is more positive than the critics. But the truth is this is probably too early a release after the last one. Less than two years doesn't give the public much time to miss Spidey.

Edited by Eastwood47
  • Like 1

Thursday night preview is part of w/e now

Actually...Shawn made Caps midnight number the Thursday thread.

Sony's THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 netted $8.7M in late night/midnight screenings, compared to ASM#1 which scored $7.5M

So basically it did marginally better after accounting for 2yrs of inflation. Not very strong no matter how the Trade's slice it.

I trusted you, Spider-Man and you couldn't even get more than Captain America. CAPTAIN AMERICA! YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I SACRIFICED??

My, bad start to BSG aside, at least it's more than the first one :)

Compared to Captain America 2, that late-night gross is a bit bad. Even if TASM2 rebounds on Friday (which happens often, indicating that late-night grosses can't  be used for consistent predicting), it will be front-loaded throughout the weekend. So we can say almost certainly that it will finish below Captain America 2 for the weekend.

I hate it when they use stuff like spring break too justify why Captain America opened higher at midnight. If people want to see this movie they will run out and see it. 10 years ago Revenge of the Sith did way more at midnight and that had school in play as well. This spring break thing is an excuse it makes no sense

Edited by baumer
  • Like 4

I'm not surprised by that number. My theater at a 8 PM showing had roughly 35 people in it and that screening holds 325. Had my pick of quality seats 2 minutes before the house lights went down.

I attended a 7 pm IMAX showing last night and it was a solid 3/4 full. There was some applause at the end; seemed fairly well-received as I overheard attendees as they filed out.

• Like 1

Deadline

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/amazing-spider-man-2-box-office-open-weekend-8-million-sony/

...an estimated $8.7M to start the weekend off for Sony. The thinking was the gross would be much more than that ($15M for a $92M opening), but it could still pull in a $85M to $86M opening as this movie traditionally plays well across the board demo-wise. 

Edited by a2k

I hate it when they use stuff like spring break too justify why Captain America open at midnight. If people want to see this movie they will run out and see it. 10 years ago Revenge of the Sith did way more at midnight and that had school in play as well. This spring break thing is an excuse it makes no sense

It has no effect on die hard fans, but some statistics are all about the margins. If you have the day off school next day and you're mildly excited enough about the movie, you'll still potentially go see it at midnight. But if you're on the fence about midnights and you have to wake up at 7 the next day, you'll ultimately decide to skip it until Friday. That's the difference. That one million or so worth of people that are on the fence. The margin. 

• Like 5