CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

I will say that you can say what you want about Webb's version but you have to at least admit the origins of all of the enhanced people coming from Oscorp is a hell of a lot better than a random meteor.  ;)

Posted Image

No, I don't think that's better. Neither are good. But the Oscorp shit pisses me off.

• Like 5

I have never read any Spider-Man comics, but I do believe that Spider-Man 2 from 10 years ago is a near perfect movie that balances character study with action, with seamless editing and perfect pacing.  I haven't seen this new Spider-Man movie, but I think judging by the subpar opening weekend numbers that are coming people can sense when you are simply showing up for a paycheck because you are contractually obligated to make more Spider-Man movies vs. being really passionate about the project and making a film that you truly want to make.  Seems like audiences (and critics) sense that this is just a cash cow, and they are reacting accordingly.

• Like 5

Exam season is not an excuse when a previous Spidey movie opened on the same weekend in 2007 to the equivalent of $175m in 2014 dollars. FWIW,  I was a college student at the time and regrettably skipped out on some valuable study time to go see it. Ended up bombing my college final and made a C in the class. Hands down the biggest regret of my college career and at least part of the reason I hate SM3 so much.

Posted Image

• Like 1

No, I don't think that's better. Neither are good. But the Oscorp shit pisses me off.

I don't know why, it's totally reverent to the excellent early run of Ultimate Spider-Man. 

It's an excellent way to shrink their universe and make the villain much less interesting.

Venom may not come from Oscorp. We don't know yet.

Edited by CJohn

It's worse. Because it comes across as underhanded and exhuasts long splotches of frames to communicate the same thing. In both cases, a very simple idea. The difference being, in one instance, Raimi's, you're tearing off a scab. In the other, Webb's, you're picking at it while someone intermittently dumps salt on it.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

Yeah making everything start and end as Oscorp is silly.  It then becomes a matter of why is that place still operating and it should be easy to end it all since everything is right there in one building.

I groaned loudly at the name of the spider. What was is, Arabius Oscorpius?  

Ugh.

• Like 5

It's an excellent way to shrink their universe and make the villain much less interesting.

Exactly, it is the reverse effect of what Sony wants, expand the universe. If everything about Spider-Man is tied to Oscorp in Manhattan, the universe is narrowed down to Parker against that evil corporation and nothing else. That evil corporation where his parents and GF worked, his best friend is the boss heir and directly create all of his foes. Too much forced coincidences and contrivances, It's boring like "What Evil Oscorp has in the bag to end Spiderman today, kids?" cartoon episode.

And TASM2 made clear that Parker is quite invincible no matter what because

MAGIC BLOOD!

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4