CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

* Note: The Amazing Spider-man 2's weekend gross fell $3 million short of Sony's Sunday estimate, which would have put the three day opening at $92.25 million. Though shy of $95 million, it would have still ranked first for a sequel to a reboot. However, Sony revised its grosses from Thursday upward, and that's what pushed the total past $95 million.Thursday went from $8.7 million to $11.85 million. Sony reported that the difference came from unreported showings from the movie's midnight openings on Thursday night, which went from the previously reported $8.7 million at around 400 theaters to $11.85 million at close to 4,300 theaters, as well as late reports from institutional IMAX locations and theaters in Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands (which the studio counts in its domestic numbers), which accounted for $1.1 million of the difference.

Posted Image

:)

Puerto Rico to the rescue!
  • Like 1

TASM2 is only going to get hurt in its third week really.

I agree.  But to be fair, summer always has a massive amount of competition....this one is no different.

• Like 1

* Note: The Amazing Spider-man 2's weekend gross fell $3 million short of Sony's Sunday estimate, which would have put the three day opening at $92.25 million. Though shy of $95 million, it would have still ranked first for a sequel to a reboot. However, Sony revised its grosses from Thursday upward, and that's what pushed the total past $95 million.Thursday went from $8.7 million to $11.85 million. Sony reported that the difference came from unreported showings from the movie's midnight openings on Thursday night, which went from the previously reported $8.7 million at around 400 theaters to $11.85 million at close to 4,300 theaters, as well as late reports from institutional IMAX locations and theaters in Puerto Rico and some Caribbean islands (which the studio counts in its domestic numbers), which accounted for $1.1 million of the difference.

Posted Image

:)

first for a sequel to a reboot, TDK ????

• Like 1

Honestly, a lot of people including myself were sure TASM2 would hit 1 billion WW, it had everything to, the trailers were pretty good, marketing campaign couldn't be more IN YOUR FACE, so that might be also a part of the problem. 

Except the last one had a lot of apathy towards it.  

• Like 2

If it follows average of TA/IM3:

8.7M Previews

26.8M Friday

30.7M Saturday (+14.5%)23.2M Sunday (-24.4%)

89.4M OW

80.7M Fri-Sun

BUT, having 7PM previews would suggest a track that has a larger Saturday increase, so >+30% seems pretty reasonable, which puts it on the expected track for low-mid 90s..  

Edited by Spizzer - Manav

I agree.  But to be fair, summer always has a massive amount of competition....this one is no different.

Actually, this Summer doesn't have much competition if you are not a comedy movie.

Except the last one had a lot of apathy towards it.  

Did it really? Cinemascore doesn't mean much it seems but it had an A-, it was decently to well received, and I'm talking about the GA, not the internet crowd. It being a reboot hurt it, but I'm eternally grateful that Sony did that, because me & a lot of others LOVE Webb, Andy & Emma's take on the material.