lilmac

Saban's Power Rangers | March 24, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 47

7 minutes ago, trifle said:

Power Rangers movies are not expected to be remembered in five years.   If they cater to nostalgia to pay for themselves and if they sell toys, they have done their job.

Seeing the way Saban Brands has marketed Power Rangers since Samurai, you will see that they run on a 2-year cycle now, a regular season and then a "Super" season, and every single season has had "Go Go Power Rangers" used within its theme song.  And yes, nostalgia is a part of the marketing, as Saban keeps marketing some aspect of MMPR over and over again, like a new PS4 game in January.  With the newest seasons like Dino Super Charge and Ninja Steel, previous seasons like Megaforce and Super Megaforce are forgotten about almost as soon as they finish their runs.  So, yes, I will not be surprised if the movie series does close to the same thing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Outrageous! said:

If they're not still watching Emma Watson and Beauty and the Beast that is.  If that movie opens to something like $160 million on March 17, imagine how well BatB will hold on the March 24 weekend.  Power Rangers has long had a problem with both female characters, like Lauren, who was supposed to be a huge highlight as a female Red Samurai Ranger back then, but of course gets passed over for Jayden in the marketing stuff, and PR also has a problem connecting to female audiences, so it is hard for me to see how one movie is going to change everything, following in the shadows of the huge movie opening the week before.

True that BatB is a major obstacle, to put it lightly. But still, if Frozen and Catching Fire could coexist... (and this doesn't have to do anywhere close to CF to be considered a success, though Liz Banks won't hurt provided future marketing builds her up).

Regarding the female characters, I've been seeing an active push recently to highlight Kimberly. She has her own spin-off comic which is apparently incredibly fun in the vein of Supergirl. And a lot of the social media activity for the trailer and posters has been coming from teen girls and young women.  Too early to make a call on how it will land with those demographics, but Lionsgate could do with catering to them a bit more with further marketing. They also need to play up Ludi Lin.

5 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

True that BatB is a major obstacle, to put it lightly. But still, if Frozen and Catching Fire could coexist... (and this doesn't have to do anywhere close to CF to be considered a success, though Liz Banks won't hurt provided future marketing builds her up).

Regarding the female characters, I've been seeing an active push recently to highlight Kimberly. She has her own spin-off comic which is apparently incredibly fun in the vein of Supergirl. And a lot of the social media activity for the trailer and posters has been coming from teen girls and young women.  Too early to make a call on how it will land with those demographics, but Lionsgate could do with catering to them a bit more with further marketing. They also need to play up Ludi Lin.

I was surprised how little Ludi Lin was in the trailer. Same with Becky g since she seems to have a fanbase as a singer. The Trailer seemed to focus mostly on Jason, Kim and Billy. I don't know if that's indicative of screen time in the movie. 

Edited by ban1o

10 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I was surprised how little Ludi Lin was in the trailer. Same with Becky g since she seems to have a fanbase as a singer. The Trailer seemed to focus mostly on Jason, Kim and Billy. I don't know if that's indicative of screen time in the movie. 

I hope it's not. Those two could be big draws OS (in Becky G's case, even domestic). At least the Die Loser! and Rita parts promised some emphasis on Trini.

From wiki:

On May 5, 2010, Saban Capital Group announced that it would start Saban Brands (SB), a successor company to Saban Entertainment dedicated to acquiring entertainment and consumer brands.[2] On May 12, 2010, it was announced that Saban Brands bought back the Power Rangers franchise from Disney for $43 million[18] and would produce a new nineteenth season of Power Rangers that began airing onNickelodeon on February 7, 2011, with the previous 700 episodes being rerun on Nicktoons.[3][19] 

Power Rangers franchise for just  $43 million !!!?? What a steal !!! This film can make 300 mil at least and 500 mil at best. Disney really dropped the ball there. In fact, a cinematic universe is promising. Lionsgate is gonna make big bucks.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

How are you guys making such high predictions for this? It'll do less than FANT4STIC IMO

It will likely open with the same and end a bit above it because WOM won't be toxic. It is almost impossible for it to fall below F4.

6 hours ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

From wiki:

On May 5, 2010, Saban Capital Group announced that it would start Saban Brands (SB), a successor company to Saban Entertainment dedicated to acquiring entertainment and consumer brands.[2] On May 12, 2010, it was announced that Saban Brands bought back the Power Rangers franchise from Disney for $43 million[18] and would produce a new nineteenth season of Power Rangers that began airing onNickelodeon on February 7, 2011, with the previous 700 episodes being rerun on Nicktoons.[3][19] 

Power Rangers franchise for just  $43 million !!!?? What a steal !!! This film can make 300 mil at least and 500 mil at best. Disney really dropped the ball there. In fact, a cinematic universe is promising. Lionsgate is gonna make big bucks.  

That deal led to four years of Jonathan Tzachor produced seasons, with a near direct clone of Shinkenger for Samurai and Super Samurai, and an odd fusion of two sentai seasons for Megaforce and Super Megaforce (Goseiger and Gokaiger).  The low point of that run was the widely panned Super Megaforce finale "Legendary Battle" which many Ranger fans believe led to Tzachor's ouster in Dino Charge for Chip Lynn.

Also, within the Ranger fandom, it is believed Disney wanted an animated series for Power Rangers during the 2000s, but was not able to produce it.  Remember what I said before about Toei having an ownership stake in Power Rangers?  Toei and Bandai in Japan get to decide a lot of the essence of Power Rangers, because they decide what the Super Sentai seasons will be, without input from anyone else, so it's a wild guess what things the companies outside Japan will get.  Haim Saban may have been able to create the original show inexpensively, but it did come at a cost - losing complete creative control over everything.  Notice how even with the different designs here, it still ultimately goes back to that 1992 series Zyuranger, as there is a Black Ranger, Pink Ranger, Blue Ranger, Yellow Ranger, and Red Ranger, and not different or additional colors here.  Disney, via Marvel, has The Avengers now, which they have complete creative control over, so they don't have to listen to anyone, nor share its profits with any other company.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

How are you guys making such high predictions for this? It'll do less than FANT4STIC IMO

it's impossible that it will do less. The trailer has gotten positive reactions. I really can't see it making less than 56.1 domestic......

Edited by ban1o

Power Rangers has 0 brand power, the fact that it's a POWER RANGERS film is more likely to turn people off than the contrary. Plus, focusing on the high school aspect limits its potential greatly.

It will do closer to Dragonball evolution than Fantastic Four if absolutely everything doesn't go in its favor.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ban1o said:

it's impossible that it will do less. The trailer has gotten positive reactions. I really can't see it making less than 56.1 domestic......

Remember that 2015 Fantastic Four was projected to have an opening in the 40 million dollar range, until Josh Trank's comments and the movie reviews itself crushed its opening day.  While a Josh Trank event is unlikely to happen here, if Lionsgate holds off the movie reviews like Fox did for F4, then that could sink the opening weekend numbers from whatever projections are made days in advance.

I have seen at least two posts in the Rangerboard thread speculating about a $100 million plus opening weekend, pages 37 and 52 based solely on the reaction to this trailer alone, and of course, what I don't see mentioned in either one of them is Beauty and the Beast, or even King Arthur, the other movie opening the same day.  It feels like some there believe this movie is opening in a vacuum with no other movies in the theaters the same month.

Edited by Outrageous!

17 hours ago, trifle said:

Power Rangers movies are not expected to be remembered in five years.   If they cater to nostalgia to pay for themselves and if they sell toys, they have done their job.

My statement was actually a tongue-in-cheek way of saying that this will not make nearly as much as the Transformers movies do, but your statement is probably true too.

I just don't see this leading to anything, considering the studio that's behind it.

• Like 1