Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

If they really wanted to dump Million Ways, they could have opened in the spring when there were no comedies in the market.

But, still, putting it between 22JS and their own Neighbors doesn't speak to much confidence either.

It could have done well in March/April. 

• Like 1

If they really wanted to dump Million Ways, they could have opened in the spring when there were no comedies in the market.

But, still, putting it between 22JS and their own Neighbors doesn't speak to much confidence either.

I'm going to assume that movie is currently tracking to do awful? I'm sure the OW will do just fine. The legs of course will be killed, but it may just be enough for the movie to profit.

Neighbors will not gross more then Spidey but it might actually make more in Net Profits if it pulls a "Ted" which is a real possibility at this point.

We all know the difference between gross and net, don't we? Hint: Net profit is the one that matters.

I'm going to assume that movie is currently tracking to do awful? I'm sure the OW will do just fine. The legs of course will be killed, but it may just be enough for the movie to profit.

It is tracking for a 30M OW, but I feel WOM won't be good and it will end with 70M or so.

It is tracking for a 30M OW, but I feel WOM won't be good and it will end with 70M or so.

Any idea how this will do internationally?

Any idea how this will do internationally?

I think it will be big. 200M big. Seth MacFarlane is a huge brand with Family Guy and Ted being very popular. 

• Like 1

I can't wait until A Million Ways opens here. It is going to the biggest comedy of the Summer by far. It only needs to sell half of the tickets of Ted and I think the hype is big enough to guarantee at least 2/3. Yeah, we are a strange place.

Any country that gave birth to my ex-wife is the epitome of strange place.
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

To be honest, I haven't even looked. *shrug*

I mean, up until very recently who thought a $50 million OW was possible?

Not many, that's for sure. Even Universal was low-balling with a mid-to-upper 20s. Personally, I've been in the camp for a breakout for a long time. I kept my final predictions a little conservative, but I definitely felt the potential was there for an opening closer to Ted than Hangover. Either way, I agree with your point: this is a great overall "surprise" story for early summer.

Tracking is largely irrelevant for comedies, is it not? Wasn't Neighbors tracking for $35 million and then $40 million at best?

Pretty much, yep. There are always X factors for movies that go beyond anything tracking can indicate...especially comedies.

• Like 1

Yep, Neighbors was hilarious. Really enjoyed the 'growing up' angle that they took as well.

Also, dat Christian Bale chat with Rogen and Efron. Killed me.

• Like 5

A Million Ways is also from Universal. I have a feeling they are dumping it. The movie only got done as a thank you present for Seth MacFarlane, in order to keep him happy to make Ted 2.

This movie will open to more than $30m and will make more than $100m domestic in my opinion. Judging this from tracking and trailer reception. This is going to surprisingly play a lot older than most people are anticipating which is why I think it will do well. When I saw Chef, the crowd was much older and they went nuts for this. It was pretty surprising and gave me a lot of faith in the film.

I think the combination of Rogen's brand of comedy (especially coming off the well-received This is the End) and the female drawing power that Efron has if you put him in something appealing...together it created a breakout.