Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

Not sure what Deadline is trying to get it with that ludacris comment. Most blockbusters these days would drop 50% in their 2nd week if we did that.

:lol:

• Like 2

Does Sony have anything to do with what deadline said?

Probably not, but that's how it appears....it's just a dumb thing to say.

Why not just say that if you only count the gross from the daytime from last weekend, then ASM will actually be even this weekend.

Of course they do. Why else would they say it?

Now if your question is did Sony tell them to write that then no one knows except Deadline.

But it's only obvious they are trying show everything about TASM in a positive light.

Studios will not be backing off the adjacent weekend for TASM3 now. 

That much is certain. Spidey has lost his luster. 

As I mentioned elsewhere, it will be interesting to see what Sony does if Spiderman truly starts underperforming.   TASM 2 may squeeze out a profit, maybe.  But TASM3??  The issue is that Sony HAS to keep making Spiderman films or the rights prematurely go back to Disney.  Can you imagine the decisions over whether to keep going despite knowing the franchise has lost its luster?  

Any decision to go past TASM3 will be very clearly financially driven

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 4

This is intereting from Deadline.com.  They are talking about Spidey's weekend drop and saying that to determine the drop you have to deduct the Thursday previews? Is that how it's done now? I thought the calculation included the preview number. Interesting.

PREVIPosted ImageOUSLY, THURSDAY, 12:48 PM: It’s just too close to call on who will win the Mother’s Day box office weekend — The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in its sophomore frame or the R-rated frat prank comedy Neighbors starring Seth Rogen and Zac Efron, which is expected to have a stellar performance this weekend as word is that it truly delivers. The question comes down to how significant a drop Spidey will have this weekend. Taking away Thursday’s $8.7M gross and concentrating on the three-day weekend, the number to work with is ASM2‘s $82.9M three-day gross.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/neighbors-amazing-spider-man-2-office-race/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Posted Image

• Like 8

As I mentioned elsewhere, it will be interesting to see what Sony does if Spiderman truly starts underperforming.   TASM 2 may squeeze out a profit, maybe.  But TASM3??  The issue is that Sony HAS to keep making Spiderman films or the rights prematurely go back to Disney.  Can you imagine the decisions over whether to keep going despite knowing the franchise has lost its luster.  

This reboot and the decision to go past TASM3 will be very clearly financially driven

I still think it was too soon to reboot. Hopefully TASM3 will change things.  :rolleyes:

I still think it was too soon to reboot. Hopefully TASM3 will change things.  :rolleyes:

It was too soon but Sony had no choice.  

It's the same reason why Fantastic Four and X-Men were rebooted.  They have to keep making these movies or they lose the IP.  It really sux to see these franchises stretched thin.

Edited by lilmac

It was too soon but Sony had no choice.  

It's the same reason why Fantastic Four and X-Men were rebooted.  They have to keep making these movies or they lose the IP.  It really sux IMO.

Don't get me started on FF.  :lol:

• Like 1

Sony didn't force them to do anything, but I'm sure some flack contacted them and explained their "logic". I mean, who do you think Deadline's (and Nikki's) sources are? They're suits at the various studios.

• Like 8

Captain America 2 fell 51.7% in its second weekend.

That's an incredible hold for a comic book film.

I'm stunned.  

• Like 5

I'm stunned.  

Not as good as TDK's 44% drop.

• Like 3

I'm stunned.  

How much did it fall if you pull a Sony and discount the previews?

Nm, that is with previews ignored :P

Edited by Orestes