Olive

Weekend Numbers (May 9-11) Neighbors 51.1 ASM2 37.2

Universal is having a banner year, and with no potential mega-budget disasters on tap to put a damper on things like last year. The Lone Survivor nationwide expansion, Ride Along, Endless Love actually managed to top $20 million domestically and any money lost there was already recouped, Non-Stop and now Neighbors.

RIPD & 47 RONIN are massive miscalculations but DM2 did close to $1B WW and FF6's numbers are incredible.

But you are right Universal seems to do better with lower budget fares. TED & BRIDESMAIDS are very  lucrative. FF & BOURNE franchises started as humble, low budget action movies. Look at COWBOY vs ALIENS, HULK movies, TF-wannabe BATTLESHIP - they seem unprepared to mount this kind of productions. Like I mentioned before, every studio has a specialty, and Universal seems to be stumbling & groping around in the dark when it comes to 4-quadrant mega-budget productions.

I was just on Fandango, DOFP won't be in IMAX?  :(

Yup, WB have a very favorable tie-up with IMAX. Godzilla will stay for 2 weeks, Malificent gets IMAX for 1 week before Edge of Tomorrow takes IMAX away for 3 weeks till Transformers 4.

Hot dang! That is huge for Neighbors. I thought it was unfunny, but then again, I thought the same about The Hangover, so it's only natural that Neighbors might perform like that movie.  :D

And, really, what else is there left to say about TASM2? Just...ugh.

BTW, I have 2 passes for "A Million Ways to Die in the West" on Tuesday May 13th at 7:00pm at Arclight Hollywood. I can't make it seeing how I will be in NYC on Tuesday so if anyone wants to watch the movie, please PM me and I will send you the passes.

• Like 3

Been really busy lately but I'd just like to drop by real quick and lmao @ TASM2's 34-35m 2nd weekend. 

Looks like Neighbors might be the next Hangover.

But how do they extend this to a franchise? Bring in a sorority as a foil will not be as fun as the frats.

BTW, I have 2 passes for "A Million Ways to Die in the West" on Tuesday May 13th at 7:00pm at Arclight Hollywood. I can't make it seeing how I will be in NYC on Tuesday so if anyone wants to watch the movie, please PM me and I will send you the passes.

2 free passes for MWTDITW

$1000.00 round trip cost from Toronto to LA.

Staying at Tele's house afterwards

Hmmmm.....veeeeeeeery tempting.

• Like 3

I thought the same thing. But that's Deadline though. I think they always have Rio higher on their chart. 

True but in the w/e projections I think BOM and BO both had it under Rio2 again as well. 

Interestingly, BOM even after the numbers has it projected for a $5m w/e - with a weak and uncharacteristic 3.3 multiplier.  At least Deadline has it now at $5.5m  while B.O.'s  is $5.7m

Been really busy lately but I'd just like to drop by real quick and lmao @ TASM2's 34-35m 2nd weekend. 

Looks like Neighbors might be the next Hangover.

I don't think Neighbors will have anywhere near the legs or wom of Hangover. 

• Like 1

2 free passes for MWTDITW

$1000.00 round trip cost from Toronto to LA.

Staying at Tele's house afterwards

Hmmmm.....veeeeeeeery tempting.

Dude, the money is worth it If you'd meet Little Tele.

• Like 4

I don't think Neighbors will have anywhere near the legs or wom of Hangover. 

Not many movies can do that nowadays, anyway. It's a wonder Ted managed to do that. This will have strong legs nonetheless. With Summer barely starting, I'd go as high as 200

But how do they extend this to a franchise? Bring in a sorority as a foil will not be as fun as the frats.

Take the Hangover approach. Remake the same movie. Following the events of the first movie, Rogen and Byrne move to a new country (maybe Australia or the UK) thanks to a new job and they get new Bad Neighbours who this time around are Aussie or British kids. Then in the 3rd movie, Zac Efron returns as the foil.

• Like 1

Take the Hangover approach. Remake the same movie. Following the events of the first movie, Rogen and Byrne move to a new country (maybe Australia or the UK) thanks to a new job and they get new Bad Neighbours who this time around are Aussie or British kids. Then in the 3rd movie, Zac Efron returns as the foil.

Nah, the third movie has a twist of epic proportions where Rogen and Byrne realize that they're actually the bad neighbors.

• Like 1