A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

From most things I've been able to piece together it was the earnings report and everything that was surrounding that which was the proverbial straw which broke the camel's back.

While it's mostly from anonymous sourcing, it does seem to add up.

Chapek wasn't acting like someone about to be fired (i.e. he wasn't acting like there was any sort of informal transition/CEO search already underway).

There were practically no leaks about him being axed/pushed aside.

The Disney board, apparently, moved incredibly quickly.

So I ask you, what changed in the last month or so?  While I suppose it isn't definitive, the earnings report certainly seems like Suspect Number One.

(check my posts from the last few hours for various links on this)

I'd like to think that the board was souring on him overtime (Parks prices, animation moving to Disney+, the Scarlett Johansson debacle, Florida). The disappointing Q4 results were just the final straw. 

• Like 4

Gee, think the stock market is happy with the news???

91.80 +0.35(0.38%)
At close: 4:03PM EST

99.57+7.77 (8.46%)
Pre-market: 6:19AM EST

ETA:::  Up another 50 cents in pre-market trading in the time I took to post this. :lol: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 3

On 10/28/2022 at 6:19 AM, JWR said:

Could be. But only if their financial situation worsens and his business acumen isn't enough to shield him.

On 10/30/2022 at 10:36 AM, JWR said:

It is a weakness, but I'd like to believe that after the Florida bill fiasco, he'll at least try to prevent it from becoming a fatal one.

Well, damn. I guess that weakness proved to be more fatal for Chapek than I thought it would be.

• Like 2

Is this really a shocker? Didn't most people think that Iger retired to dodge pandemic and then would work his way back considering Chapek was obviously the wrong choice from the get go? Like, he was literally only known for being cheap af. 

IMO, this is as "shocking" as Wilde/Styles breakup. Inevitable, not shocking.

• Like 1

Just now, Valonqar said:

Is this really a shocker? Didn't most people think that Iger retired to dodge pandemic and then would work his way back considering Chapek was obviously the wrong choice from the get go? Like, he was literally only known for being cheap af. 

It's shocking in that it happened so abruptly. The board re-upped Chapek's contract back in June and it was assumed that they were gonna stick it out with him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Didn't follow contract stuff so maybe that's why I was like yeah who couldn't see this coming?

I think the board was trying to hold off on announcing this for as long as they could... then the Q4 earnings call gave them enough incentive to push Chapek out.

39 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yeah, I think this was also pre-planned at the timing of the 1st swap.

Let Chapek be the bad guy and put in place all the awful stuff and make all the cuts.

Then, have Iger come back, reversing nothing but not making it worse, so everyone is again happy.

Win/win for Disney - or would have been if Chapek was better in the "bad guy" role - he was terrible...

Edited by TwoMisfits

28 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, I think this was also pre-planned at the timing of the 1st swap.

Let Chapek be the bad guy and put in place all the awful stuff and make all the cuts.

Then, have Iger come back, reversing nothing but not making it worse, so everyone is again happy.

Win/win for Disney - or would have been if Chapek was better in the "bad guy" role - he was terrible...

I know business can be weird sometimes, but do you really believe a CEO would want to self-sabotage his own company and destroy internal relations for two years? And then just come back to the role for vanity's sake? And then make a whole new contract for this supposed fall guy, only to give up on him and pay extra for his removal?

Yeah, this reads more like Billions fanfiction.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Potiki said:

Paraphrased a bit but this is Bob Iger's take on movie going:

"the wound that the movie going business has suffered was hastened by COVID resulted in a permanent scar. So I don't think that movies ever return in terms of movie going to the level they were at pre pandemic, it's competition, it's choice, it's the fact that a lot of what on the platforms is very good and its movie quality television, sometimes it's a movie given series or story every week and I think consumers have learned as they got comfortable with app based television they've learned to find and love shows, it gives them flexibility from a time perspective and it replaces movie going. It doesn't mean movie going goes away, I'm a big believer in movies, I love big movies, I love going to the theatres and watching, the communal experience that won't go away but it doesn't come back to were it was... It's not a dead business... it's smaller.

This is someone who gets it (of course I say that because it’s basically what I have been claiming for a over a year now) 

Streaming is like the rise of cable: it didn’t kill the networks that used to dominate, but the increased number of choices did reduce their market share. And now instead of just say NBC, it’s a family of channels under the same umbrella, and lines are blurred 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Killmonger said:

I know business can be weird sometimes, but do you really believe a CEO would want to self-sabotage his own company and destroy internal relations for two years? And then just come back to the role for vanity's sake? And then make a whole new contract for this supposed fall guy, only to give up on him and pay extra for his removal?

Yeah, this reads more like Billions fanfiction.

They knew with Covid they had to make huge cuts and big price raises.  Iger didn't want those unpopular cuts and price increases ruining his legacy, so he steps aside BUT stays around.

Now, Covid is over (at least as far as business is concerned, even internationally) and it's business as usual everywhere...so he comes back.

I'm sure it was always the contingency if not the firm plan.  No other reason Iger hung around.