A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

On 5/16/2023 at 8:49 PM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This is something Disney+ has done before to series the suits don't have faith in. The second seasons of both Diary of a Future President and Big Shot were both dumped all at once shortly before they got cancelled. So yeah, it looks like all the worrying rumours about Echo indeed are true.

Interesting, but most of the time people who use the term "The Suits" to insult a business's managment are usually pretty clueless as to how a business operates.

if Disney Manakgment does not have faith in something, why should they spend money on something they think is a losing propostion: Of course they  might be wrong. but making these calls is their job.

It's really easy to cheer for the the "Artist" agains the "Suits", reality is alo tmore comples.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Disney strikes back at De Santis:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/other/disney-scraps-plan-for-new-florida-campus-amid-desantis-feud/ar-AA1bn0ta

Iger puts it beautifully: Do you want the taxes and the jobs or not?

De Santis has started a fight he cannot win.

Retards are portraying it as since they have gone broke after going "WOKE", they dont have the money. They will spin this as a win !!!

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Retards are portraying it as since they have gone broke after going "WOKE", they dont have the money. They will spin this as a win !!!

The Alt right  crowd would be funny in their stupidity if they were'nt so dangerous.

On 5/16/2023 at 3:36 PM, Porthos said:

Not repeating the Ms. Marvel/Obi-Wan and She-Hulk/Andor overlaps is probably exactly why they're releasing these shows this way. If my math is right, this would put Loki S2 one or two weeks post Ahsoka, depending on just when Ahsoka launches in August.

That too.

Mind it is a surprise that Echo is all at once.  But if they're trying to avoid Marvel/SW overlap and they want Skeleton Crew to launch in late Dec (in the Boba Fett/Bad Batch slot), then that's one way to do it.

There are also the three Doctor Who specials launching in November which would put them right between the end of Loki's run and Echo's.

Though in fairness, I don't know if they'll be that big a priority for Disney since they were already funded by the BBC before the deal and just acquired by Disney when they got the rights to the followup seasons. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1

All these shows are getting removed next week. I only watched Little Demon…

• The Mysterious Benedict Society [Disney+]
  • Big Shot [Disney+]
  • Turner & Hooch [Disney+]
  • Willow [Disney+]
  • The Making Of Willow [Disney+]
  • Just Beyond [Disney+]
  • The World According To Jeff Goldblum [Disney+]
  • Pistol [Hulu]
  • Dollface [Hulu]
  • The Quest [Hulu]
  • The Hot Zone [Hulu]
  • Y: The Last Man [Hulu]
  • Maggie [Hulu]
  • Little Demon [Hulu]
  • The Premise [Hulu]
  • Love In The Time Of Corona [Hulu]
  • Everything’s Trash [Hulu]
  • Best In Snow [Hulu]
  • Best In Dough [Hulu]
  • The One And Only Ivan [Disney+]
  • Timmy Failure [Disney+]
  • Be Our Chef [Disney+]
  • Magic Camp [Disney+]
  • Howard [Disney+]
  • Earth To Ned [Disney+]
  • Foodtastic [Disney+]
  • Stuntman [Disney+]
  • Disney Fairy Tale Weddings [Disney+]
  • Wolfgang [Disney+]
  • It’s a Dog’s Life With Bill Farmer [Disney

Just now, AJG said:

All Streaming channels occasionally purge programs that are not being watched. Normal procedure.

8 minutes ago, AJG said:

See when people say "Ms Marvel is the least watched Disney+ series" it's not taking into account that the marvel and Star Wars shows are basically the only originals that get real views

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

All Streaming channels occasionally purge programs that are not being watched. Normal procedure.

Yeah. So that’s not what’s going on here.

It’s similar to the groundbreaking(?)HBO purge, but with a lite twist. This is a good chunk of Disney+’s Disney branded originals. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

This is absolutely not normal procedure. WILLOW, for example, was a high-profile show they invested a significant amount of money into, and once streaming, would cost them very little (in part because streaming residuals are pretty shit). 

edit: this was one of the writers on the show. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

This is absolutely not normal procedure. WILLOW, for example, was a high-profile show they invested a significant amount of money into, and once streaming, would cost them very little (in part because streaming residuals are pretty shit). 

edit: this was one of the writers on the show. 

That planet money episode I linked above goes into the details. These are done purely to avoid paying residuals. Disney+ like all large corporations are absolutely evil. They did not blink twice laying off 10s of thousands during pandemic while paying execs millions of dollars in bonus/stock options. The could not even do well for their stockholders(I am one of them) as this scramble to get ahead on streaming has cost them 10's of billions and I am not certain it will get profitable without significant price increases and gutting out more shows like these. Once the audience see the slim pickings the will start subbing out and only try it month or 2 every year to catch their favorite series. Movies you can rent out from your library for free than pay another 10-15$. 

I think economically streaming is a hard challenge. I dont think anyone will win. We will only see collateral damage. 

• Like 4

I keep forgetting that the Willow show was actually a thing that happened. Ditto the also cancelled National Treasure series.

Meanwhile:

...is anyone really surprised this is shutting down 18 months after opening? It was a cool idea on paper, but asking folks that pay that amount of money for a two-night stay where you couldn't see outside the hotel room (or have a pool to go to) was bound to not last very long, especially when so many folks were still financially struggling from the pandemic, unless Disney had intended this to be a resort only for the rich and famous who could afford it (which I doubt they did). Even the most dedicated Star Wars stans seemed to respond to this with "love does have limits."

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That planet money episode I linked above goes into the details. These are done purely to avoid paying residuals. Disney+ like all large corporations are absolutely evil. They did not blink twice laying off 10s of thousands during pandemic while paying execs millions of dollars in bonus/stock options. The could not even do well for their stockholders(I am one of them) as this scramble to get ahead on streaming has cost them 10's of billions and I am not certain it will get profitable without significant price increases and gutting out more shows like these. Once the audience see the slim pickings the will start subbing out and only try it month or 2 every year to catch their favorite series. Movies you can rent out from your library for free than pay another 10-15$. 

I think economically streaming is a hard challenge. I dont think anyone will win. We will only see collateral damage. 

Yes, the classic concept of building a film & TV library is once anything is produced, it costs little to keep but grows your library value overall. And you can use it to either give more options for direct consumer viewing (either through physical media, supporting your own streaming service) or you can licensing it out to others. Both options are a slow, steady revenue stream. This is the equivalent of taking your ball and going home in a snit because you didn’t want to share with the other kids… after selling tickets to the game. 

• Like 3