A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Just now, screambaby said:

Snow white is gonna ruin everything....massive dumpster fire

Man, it really could be. That’s the last movie Disney needs to start next year if we’re still in the middle of this strike mess. That just feels like such an easy target for all the bigot loons to make chaos with. 

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Man, it really could be. That’s the last movie Disney needs to start next year if we’re still in the middle of this strike mess. That just feels like such an easy target for all the bigot loons to make chaos with. 

Disney took away 6 roles from dwarves  I've seen better production values from grade school plays

(always amazes me which of my posts get taken seriously)

The reason people are carping on Iger right now is coz they're unhappy with current/recent Disney product.

The reason people were not carping on Iger back in '18 and '19 was coz they were happy with then current/previous Disney product.

Broadly speaking on both points, naturally.

That was the (I thought obvious) subtext of my post.

Anyway no one, or rather hardly anyone of importance, is gonna care about Snow White this year if people like current Disney output.  By extension if people continue to like the rest of Disney's lineup whatever sour notes that may or may not occur from Snow White whenever it gets released will be mitigated to huge degree.

If Disney starts a winning streak (or if one prefers continues it from GOTG3) then whatever controversies come their way won't have as much impact as they would have if the GA is sour on them/continues to sour on them.

No company nowadays is gonna be all Sunshine and Puppies All the Time With Everyone thanks to all of the current culture war chum being churned out.  But people actually liking most of your output buys a ton of goodwill (and vice versa).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Iger at this point won't be removed  because of the comments given that the board have no one to take over.

Problem though, is Iger's presence preventing someone good enough to take over from emerging? The job of Disney CEO should be something everyone wants, but Iger has a track record of driving anyone who can take over from him out of the company. It becomes hard to be excited about taking over the Disney CEO job when you have to deal with the specter of  Iger looming over you even after he steps down. What's there to stop Iger from taking over again from the next CEO and firing him/her after 10 months?

37 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Problem though, is Iger's presence preventing someone good enough to take over from emerging? The job of Disney CEO should be something everyone wants, but Iger has a track record of driving anyone who can take over from him out of the company. It becomes hard to be excited about taking over the Disney CEO job when you have to deal with the specter of  Iger looming over you even after he steps down. What's there to stop Iger from taking over again from the next CEO and firing him/her after 10 months?

I'll take the bait.

Who, exactly?

(Chapek I remember getting rid of potential usurpers, mind)

Iger is terrible but it's in the typical megacorp CEO way, not really a shock that he doesn't support the strikes. I don't see it as realistic that a more labor friendly person somehow succeeds him at least in this climate. Business wise he has set a more realistic and transparent tone than Chapek has, and has even now admitted his mistakes w streaming. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

The reason people are carping on Iger right now is coz they're unhappy with current/recent Disney product.

The reason people were not carping on Iger back in '18 and '19 was coz they were happy with then current/previous Disney product.

I feel personally I goes deeper than the shows/movies are not as good (which I have liked a bunch of stuff from both eras) I just disagree with the logic of a lot of the business decisions and feel stuff like layoffs were handled in a way that was mean spirited and the recent wording in relation to the writers/actors strike was poor (which was a common Chapek problem) and that has soured me on him a bit, which is a wild thing for me to be saying. 

But yes it is possible some may forgive more easily if they like the shows and movies that Disney is putting out, also I feel most of the general population do still like most of what Disney has been putting out recently and very few could likely name Iger as CEO even though he is one of the most known CEOs globally (he is not at that Steve Jobs level but I don't think any current CEOs are, maybe Musk and Zuckerberg but not for the same reasons as Jobs lol), people on this forum and people that deeply follow media/box office are going to be more knowledgeable and opinionated but I think that is minority of people. 

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I'll take the bait.

Who, exactly?

(Chapek I remember getting rid of potential usurpers, mind)

Not dealt with like how Chapek got rid of Peter Rice but quite a few who got to 2nd/3rd in command left the company due to Iger extending his tenure as CEO the first time. Tom Staggs and Jay Rasulo and the two most prominent that come to mind, also somewhat Kevin Mayer who was passed up due to Chapek being chosen. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Is Iger terrible objectively or because he said actors expectations were unrealstic? Cause just a day before his statement he was hailed a hero here and his contract renewal was celebrated. So what is the truth? 

Might want to check the timestamp on my post when I heard the news about the extension. 😉 

On 7/12/2023 at 5:56 PM, Porthos said:

I'm gonna be even handed here about Iger.

Quite a bit of the current trouble in Disney Land is either inherited from Chapek's decisions or out of his control.

On the other hand, he's overseen some RECENT decisions which I do blame him for and judge him harshly.

For one, and will be the main objection I raise to his tenure here, his overseeing of the recent content purge on D+ is a pretty huge black mark on his resume in my book and one that I have personally noted.  I don't particularly care if it made "business sense" to do it, as lots of questionable/objectionable things can make business sense; that doesn't mean they should be done.

(as always: Just coz something is legal, doesn't mean it should be done)

The axing of Willow after, what four months? Five? Was just downright idiotic and axing of Crater after less than seven weeks (SEVEN! WEEKS!!!) even more so.

Now I'm not gonna throw Iger under the bus over this as I recognize the whole game of "plusses and minuses".  Not so much "take the good with the bad" as "recognize that folks can make good and bad decisions — so praise the good ones and call out the bad".

Now I get the notion of "triage" and "cost control" and all of that other Wall Street Jargon that is used to justify anti-consumer and anti-artist behavior like this and... I. DON'T. CARE.  Dude made bad calls here and I'm not afraid to say it.

Doesn't mean I want him gone (I don't).  Does mean I want him to... not do things like that in the future.

Were some similar thoughts expressed by others in this thread before that interview that caused so much eye rolling/backlash.

(also, SW fans have been griping about some of Iger's... more controversial decisions for a very long time, so it's not like some of this is new)

Edited by Porthos

2 hours ago, Potiki said:

I feel personally I goes deeper than the shows/movies are not as good (which I have liked a bunch of stuff from both eras) I just disagree with the logic of a lot of the business decisions and feel stuff like layoffs were handled in a way that was mean spirited and the recent wording in relation to the writers/actors strike was poor (which was a common Chapek problem) and that has soured me on him a bit, which is a wild thing for me to be saying. 

Even handed as always, Potiki. :)

Late at night for me (don't ask why I'm up - long story), and I largely agree with your points, actually.  All I was really trying to say is if fandom at large is happy with the direction of the things they like, that covers up a lot of sins.

Or at the very least drags more defenders out of the woodwork. :lol:   To-mah-toe/TOE-may-to, really.

I guess I am just cynical enough to think that if online fandom is more or less happy with the direction of things then the CEO gets a bit of a break from some, deserved or not.

ETA:

Re-reading my post that kicked this little side discussion off, I suppose I should have said something like "The main reason people are carping" or "A main reason"

Then again, I also tend to think the phrase 'carping on Iger' by definition excludes thoughtful and balanced critiques such as yours. 😉 ❤️

Edited by Porthos
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Even handed as always, Potiki. :)

Late at night for me (don't ask why I'm up - long story), and I largely agree with your points, actually.  All I was really trying to say is if fandom at large is happy with the direction of the things they like, that covers up a lot of sins.

Or at the very least drags more defenders out of the woodwork. :lol:   To-mah-toe/TOE-may-to, really.

I guess I am just cynical enough to think that if online fandom is more or less happy with the direction of things then the CEO gets a bit of a break from some, deserved or not.

I’d argue that even if Iger is a CEO and therefore an enemy to the working class, and that would be true even if what he said on the MSNBC interview was so much shit that put an spot on his career, he is still not worse than Zaslav. 

At the day the strike begun, Zaslav and the Blumhouse CEO were posing with rifles and calling themselves "soldiers" of Sun Valley. You can’t get less subtle than that.

Also it’s important to note that Zaslav not just sucks epically at his job, but he is paid more than the double of Iger. I mean take a look at this shit:

The top 10 highest-paid Hollywood executives in the last 5 years includes:

1. David Zaslav, Warner Bros. Discovery Inc.: $498,915,318
  2. Ari Emanuel, Endeavor Group Holdings Inc.: $346,935,367
  3. Reed Hastings, Netflix: $209,780,532
  4. Bob Iger, Walt Disney Co.: $195,092,460
  5. Ted Sarandos, Netflix: $192,171,581
  6. Rupert Murdoch, Fox Corp.: $174,929,867
  7. Lachlan Murdoch, Fox Corp.: $171,359,374
  8. Brian Roberts, Comcast Corp.: $170,158,088
  9. Joseph Ianniello, Paramount Global: $152,793,125
  10. Patrick Whitesell, Endeavor Group Holdings Inc.: $143,584,597

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/01/top-hollywood-exec-made-498-million-in-5-years-while-writer-pay-fell.html

Whenever people think that movie stars get too much money, I’d argue that movie stars being at the top of the food chain is part of the game and important to the echo system that keeps Hollywood alive. Now these CEOs? Iger included? They could probably be replaced by actual AI and we would all be better off.

9 hours ago, screambaby said:

Disney took away 6 roles from dwarves  I've seen better production values from grade school plays

they're just photos taken from the set?.

I don't see what strange things do you see. I see just normal costumes... actually they seems also inventive and well esecuted. Like everyone is different but seemd well studied to match with each other too and also to exprime singular personalities.

They are like Peter Pan and Tolkien but also with a modernist  hint. I like them cause i like when i see creativity 

snow-white-1-1.jpg?fit=1164,784&ssl=1

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

they're just photos taken from the set?.

I don't see what strange things do you see. I see just normal costumes... actually they seems also inventive and well esecuted. Like everyone is different but seemd well studied to match with each other too and also to exprime singular personalities.

They are like Peter Pan and Tolkien but also with a modernist  hint. I like them cause i like when i see creativity 

snow-white-1-1.jpg?fit=1164,784&ssl=1

It’s so obvious when people are going out of their way to hate on shit that it is kinda hilarious.

Also, this right here:

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

also the idea of magical creatures (so with magical power they can use it in the story?) seems better than the dwarfs we already saw 1 million times in every version before. Give us something fresh. 

Edited by vale9001

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Yeah…. No.

Like i wrote in the Little Mermaid thread once Disney animated movies are american version of other cultures stories, so all the conversation about how some difference from the animated version doesn't respect the original culture is fun cause the originale already didn't. 

Anyways Imagine being 50 and spending even 1 minute of your time to wrote a tweet about how a fantasy character for a Disney movie should look.

If the change the skin of a character this means the fantasy world has different rules or a different set.. everyone can change the rules like he wants cause It's the whole point of being fantasy 😅

• Haha 1

But you're not remaking the original fairy tale, you're remaking the Disney version that everyone is familiar with. If you're not gonna respect that as a filmmaker then what's the point of doing the damn thing in the first place? 

• Like 1