A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Just hearing about the Daredevil move. Really smart by Disney but I think supports what some of us have felt regarding their decision to cut off/ignore their outsourced TV projects.

So happy to see them re-embrace those and probably (hopefully) give the TV side a bit more autonomy.

32 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I know people think Apple might buy Disney but I think more synergy could be found in Amazon as a purchaser.

Granted I don't WANT this to happen. But Amazon has bought Whole Foods and integrated it into its business. So Disney might be a snap.

I don't think Disney is going to be bought by anyone

Disney is a mess to buy. As a company they really should sell some things off and significantly downsize but I don’t see out an outsider can come in and pay more than Disney would make on those individual sales overall.

to some degree I think their anti M&A strategy is to be a bit of a mess.

I called this 4 years ago. They will bring them together one last time with Secret Wars. No variants, the actual real deal. They are the missing link between what the Infinity Saga actually entails and how Stark is the perfect character to play the role that Reed plays by the end of Jonathan Hickman’s Secret Wars. His sacrifice happened. Same for Natasha’s. But the Infinity Saga has loopholes that goes beyond the multiverse. 

• Knock It Off 1

So lower budgets, recasting Majors if they need to, and visual effects. Pretty much all the things I predicted!

The big takeaway is that last bit.

“Writing the Marvel obituary would be ill-advised,” says Jason Squire, professor emeritus at USC School of Cinematic Arts and host of “The Movie Business Podcast.” “Kevin Feige is the Babe Ruth of movie executives, and Marvel has the most profitable track record in movie history. No question.”

• Like 1

“Marvel is truly fucked with the whole Kang angle,” says one top dealmaker who has seen the final “Loki” episode. “And they haven’t had an opportunity to rewrite until very recently [because of the WGA strike]. But I don’t see a path to how they move forward with him.” 

I have said it before and I'll say it again, they should just let Loki kill off Kang in the TV show and skip the Kang Avengers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I have said it before and I'll say it again, they should just let Loki kill off Kang in the TV show and skip the Kang Avengers.

I really don't see why they can't just recast Kang. We've literally seen that not all the Kangs look like Majors anyways.

8 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Tbh yeah, just do Masters of Evil or something next and start anew from there.

23 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

So lower budgets, recasting Majors if they need to, and visual effects. Pretty much all the things I predicted!

The big takeaway is that last bit.

“Writing the Marvel obituary would be ill-advised,” says Jason Squire, professor emeritus at USC School of Cinematic Arts and host of “The Movie Business Podcast.” “Kevin Feige is the Babe Ruth of movie executives, and Marvel has the most profitable track record in movie history. No question.”

I’m sorry but DiscussingFilm and Variety could do a better job at contextualizing this. Anyone believing Kang would be THE villain in Secret Wars don’t know the source material. I imagine that Majors might end up getting recast as Kang yes, but Doctor Doom would ALWAYS be the Secret Wars villain.

It’s sort of like thinking there would be a remote chance that Thanos wouldn’t be Infinity War’s and Endgame’s villain.

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I'm going to keep pushing this idea until it becomes a reality lol, just have their new villain show up and slaughter the Council of Kangs. This whole problem could be solved in a single post-credits scene. At the end of it, the Kang Dynasty logo pops up, the "Kang" part turns to dust and is replaced by "Doom" or whatever they want to call it.

• Haha 1

Marvel is in shambles right now. That article is pretty scathing of the dysfunction. That Blade script sounds horrendously bad.

The TV series are the crux of the issues. Feige is one man and and its too much content.

Drop them. Get back to basics and just stick with films. 

Also retool stuff like Thunderbolts top to bottom or toss it out. That line up of characters is beyond sad.