A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Elementals' awful opening doesn't fit with that hypothesis. People genuinely liked the film, but they just didn't give it a chance on release. 

It had bad reviews (initially, then they recovered) and the marketing was also bad. But since WOM was good it had a very leggy run.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Torontofan said:

that is why i said it not only has to be a good film but also be appealing. 

inside out 1 was a very popular film so it had brand working for it and buzz around the film is solid so people thought it worth checking out.

You literally said good or appealing.

• Like 2

More Iger should have not told them "move or resign" until he knew for a fact the project would be done.  Now that they have moved he needs to give them the employment by some means in Florida.  

They are not after just a one time payment, but a steady paycheck they were promised.

On 6/17/2024 at 3:48 PM, Bob Train said:

It had bad reviews (initially, then they recovered) and the marketing was also bad. But since WOM was good it had a very leggy run.

Elementals is one of the few films where WOM actually saved it...something often talked about but which seldoms happens.

• Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 2:30 PM, cannastop said:

That doesn't tell us shit we don't already know. Audiences going for IP and shit 

Point is that films that do as well as IO2 are few and far between.

Streaming has had a huge impact on theater attednence. No getting around that fact unless you want to just throw reality out the window.

Even a strong IP is not a guarantee anymore. We have had some films with strong IP;s fail at the box office.

26 minutes ago, John Marston said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/star-wars-older-more-male-170000506.html#:~:text=Between the two franchises%2C Star,demographics of the original trilogy.

Star Wars has older, more male skewing audience. Star Wars will probably go the way of Indiana Jones and Terminator one day 

Absolutely. That Rey movie is DOA too. 

53 minutes ago, John Marston said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/star-wars-older-more-male-170000506.html#:~:text=Between the two franchises%2C Star,demographics of the original trilogy.

Star Wars has older, more male skewing audience. Star Wars will probably go the way of Indiana Jones and Terminator one day 

Using Parrot Analytics’ Audience Solutions

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

But even putting that aside their over/under is 30 years old, it isn't really showing that much difference from TROS domestic audience reports:

source: http://www.boxofficereport.com/theriseofskywalkerreport.html#:~:text=The audience breakdown for Star,of the film's overall audience.

The Mando film should be interesting at that skews younger and more gender neutral both domestic and abroad from some insights I've seen (plus there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to support that)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I think a Mando movie could be a pretty big hit. Grogu is a Mickey Mouse level merch mover.

maybe a few years ago

bit with passage of time and Season 3 getting a mixed reception I’m

thinking 500-600m 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Potiki said:

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

But even putting that aside their over/under is 30 years old, it isn't really showing that much difference from TROS domestic audience reports:

source: http://www.boxofficereport.com/theriseofskywalkerreport.html#:~:text=The audience breakdown for Star,of the film's overall audience.

The Mando film should be interesting at that skews younger and more gender neutral both domestic and abroad from some insights I've seen (plus there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to support that)

People are sleeping a bit on the Mando movie. My three year old calls Yoda and all Yoda merch Grogu. That’s anecdotal too but I definitely buy that it skews younger. 

• Like 1

It should be interesting to see how the tracking goes based on presales. Compared to other franchises it should still be frontloaded but if I has to guess this one will probably skew more families than the previous Star Wars movies. By the way a younger audience should mean more diversity which seems to translate into walk-ups.