A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

24 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

"Less than first season" does not equal "not a hit for the platform". Most seasons drop in ratings year after year.

Yeah true. Quite rare for a show to do a GOT and increase year after year.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 6:44 PM, Eric Wick said:

Not really. Capitalism is designed to fuck over the working man. And the studio heads are more than happy to kill the people who make their hit movies because then they get even more money faster. This is the norm sadly

Well, the average guy has not fared too well in Socilist countries, either....

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I'd say declining viewership is significant if this is your flagship series 

But again, this happens to basically every show. This is not out of the ordinary. It's a buzzy headline but the truth is a show that premiered in 2019 having shrunk a bit four years later is completely normal. It does not mean the show is not doing well. Every platforms flagship show will decline when it's been shy of half a decade since the premiere.

Edited by SpiderByte

2 hours ago, froztking said:

having diversity wasn't the issue but diversity just for the sake of diversity created the issue ! u can clearly see the quality difference between loki, wandavision and ms marvel, she hulk ! 

Which one of those was Woke and which wasn't

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

But again, this happens to basically every show. This is not out of the ordinary. It's a buzzy headline but the truth is a show that premiered in 2019 having shrunk a bit four years later is completely normal. It does not mean the show is not doing well. Every platforms flagship show will decline when it's been shy of half a decade since the premiere.

again it wouldn’t be a big deal at all if they had other shows to take its place but they really don’t.

41 minutes ago, John Marston said:

again it wouldn’t be a big deal at all if they had other shows to take its place but they really don’t.

They have literally two other star wars shows coming out this year.

I genuinely don't know what you want, this is how television works. People don't go into box office threads going "what, in the fourth weekend it didn't go up? What a failure"

Edited by SpiderByte

4 hours ago, John Marston said:

For god's sake. Parrot Analytics strike again.

It is 2023. We have a shockingly well detailed Streaming Tracking section right here on these forums. I feel like we shouldn't have to break down why "Demand Expressions" from Parrot Analytics is close to being absolute nonsense. They effectively treat Google searches and Facebook likes as if they equal viewership.

Edit: a damn near full page of discussion based on Parrot "Analytics"... it boggles the mind.

Until Nielsen drops their info, when it comes to ACTUAL numbers for this show THIS is all we have

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

It's a significant drop. Can anyone look at data to see if it's normal?
I don't have season dates coded on my nielsen set (Love to know a source to connect it if anyone has it) so I went to see if I could dig up some ESG comps. A number didn't show drops. 

Handmaid's tale (Hulu's flagship) was growing through season 4
https://entertainmentstrategyguy.com/2021/08/13/the-handmaids-tale-is-a-hulu-sized-plus-loki-rocks-black-widow-drops-and-action-flops/

– Meanwhile, Netflix had a big opening weekend—as expected—from Cobra Kai’s fifth season. This former YouTube Red Original has done very well in the past for Netflix. Season three peaked at 43.4 million hours and season four peaked at 40.4 million hours. My guess is that season five, after debuting to 29.0 million hours, will get to about that range as well next week.

You declined for Netflix
https://entertainmentstrategyguy.com/2023/03/10/plum-researchs-showlabs-joins-the-streaming-ratings-report-plus-the-battle-of-the-valentines-day-romcoms/
re: Parrot, This is what weekly numbers say on their website at start of Mando's season

ZE9WGLw7S5SefWfOZG7m

Does that make conceptual sense as a ranking? I'll let it speak for itself. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

24 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

re: Parrot, This is what weekly numbers say on their website at start of Mando's season

ZE9WGLw7S5SefWfOZG7m

Does that make conceptual sense as a ranking? I'll let it speak for itself. 

Parrot Analytics and their "research" will try and tell you that CW's The Flash and Attack on Titan were both more "IN DEMAND" than You Part 2, and The Last of Us...

How are they getting away with this still?

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Parrot Analytics and their "research" will try and tell you that CW's The Flash and Attack on Titan were both more "IN DEMAND" than You Part 2, and The Last of Us...

How are they getting away with this still?

Some decently credible people are vouching for it and there's presumably a conceptually valid critique they'll launch in interviews how "hours viewed" doesn't map neatly onto streamer internal valuations which skew more akin to a demand rating but, yeah, what are we supposed to do with these numbers?

Attack on Titan is at least in a weird enough niche that I can imagine a classification system might struggle with if they're baselined to something like genre average but the Flash is "just" a long running CW show. That's a pretty normal type of show with plenty of comps.

https://tv.parrotanalytics.com/US/attack-on-titan-jin-ji-noju-ren-mbs

attack on titan is classified as "Japanese animation" does that matter(a/k/a is it some sort of genre+ metric)? That's the only thing I can see making this remotely plausible, it's probably a big fish in a tiny pool and looks a lot worse one more level abstracted in grouping

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

"While the cause of Alonso’s termination is unclear, the sources said, the decision was made by a consortium including Disney Entertainment Co-Chairman Alan Bergman, to whom all of Marvel Studios reports. Alonso’s longtime boss and Marvel chief creative officer Kevin Feige was not involved in the process, another person familiar with the exit added. Feige, who felt mired in an impossible situation, ultimately did not intervene. Alonso was blindsided, another insider added."

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/victoria-alonso-marvel-exit-kevin-feige-1235561995/

Saw some speculation that she went on her own will but looks like she got the sack as most presumed

Edited by thajdikt

One thing that bothers me about the Alonso situation is that she's getting the full blame for all the VFX issues. I know she was overlooking that department but acting like there isn't a whole system in that studio (and the industry really) causing that mistreatment of artists. I heard from VFX artists years ago that Feige has his own BS that caused headaches for them, and if you go on the subreddit you'll see some similar talk about that. I know Alonso is said to be awful and that's something I've heard too, but throwing her under the bus to make it seem like "everything is chill now guys" is irritating.

At the same time, using three actors on MCU movies to defend Alonso is...quite something (I think I can guess who at least one of those actors is too lol). 

36 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

"While the cause of Alonso’s termination is unclear, the sources said, the decision was made by a consortium including Disney Entertainment Co-Chairman Alan Bergman, to whom all of Marvel Studios reports. Alonso’s longtime boss and Marvel chief creative officer Kevin Feige was not involved in the process, another person familiar with the exit added. Feige, who felt mired in an impossible situation, ultimately did not intervene. Alonso was blindsided, another insider added."

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/victoria-alonso-marvel-exit-kevin-feige-1235561995/

Saw some speculation that she went on her own will but looks like she got the sack as most presumed

It always lookd better if you resign then actually be fired. That is why so few people are actually fired in a hig hup position, they are always given the chance to resign.

I have a sneaky felling that Feige might have passed this mess on to Bergman and company. washing his hands of the reponsilbity, knowng full well what would happen.

Edited by dudalb