A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

I am very hopeful their Animation arms will far better as Iger prided himself in building them into titans. Longer windows and better marketing campaigns seem very likely for Elemental and Wish where even if they underperform it sets up the old precedent again and retrains their audience.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, YM! said:

I am very hopeful their Animation arms will far better as Iger prided himself in building them into titans. Longer windows and better marketing campaigns seem very likely for Elemental and Wish where even if they underperform it sets up the old precedent again and retrains their audience.

Having more committed marketing campaigns alone will help raise more awareness. 

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

They knew with Covid they had to make huge cuts and big price raises.  Iger didn't want those unpopular cuts and price increases ruining his legacy, so he steps aside BUT stays around.

Now, Covid is over (at least as far as business is concerned, even internationally) and it's business as usual everywhere...so he comes back.

But Chapek became CEO in February 2020 and though COVID existed then, most people didn’t know about it or if they did, how big it’d get. And the decision to hire Chapek had been in place for weeks before that I’m sure. I don’t think Iger, Chapek or the Disney board could see onto the future and imagine the pandemic or the shutdowns and the havoc they would cause for movies, businesses, etc.

Iger’s legacy is Disney so it makes sense he would watch closely after leaving it on a high point. He probably had no plans to return until the downward spiral continued. Could it be possible Iger planned to return at some point? Sure. But I don’t think they planned this around COVID. 

• Like 9

The Board of Directors saw those Q4 earnings, realized that things under Chapek weren't going to get any better, and didn't want another "dark age" like during the later Eisner years.  And having Iger (who was well regarded) come back cushions the blow of having to fire their new CEO two years into the job.

Edited by JWR
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Final? Says who?

Tony Gilroy, and he should know, seeing how he is the showrunner.

Gilroy and Dieog Luna both felt that the originally planned 5 seasons was too long and that they couldn't do it, so instead of five seasons with each covering a year up to Rogue One, season two will now have four three-episodes arcs each covering a year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think Bob Chapek was fired for three reasons.

1. Politics. To me he should have been fired when he was silent with the "Don't Say Gay" bill stuff happened in Florida. If he would have said something other companies would have backed out. Him being silent said it all and then all the employees walking out or staging protest was just a bad look. Especially for a company that champions minorities especially the LGBT community standing up for them was a no brainer and Chapek failed completely.  

2. Parks. While the parks revenue was at an all time high cause the prices were so ridiculous. However his ideas were killing the park and guest reviews were awful. Genie + and park reservations literally ruined the park experience. Blackout dates covering the entire months of November, December, and Summer upset locals across the entire state of Florida and California, and the parks cleanliness took a massive hit over the past years. Also I think Disney is absolutely terrified of Universal's Epic Universe which is coming next year and they haven't done anything to combat that parks arrival. 

3. Press, media, and view of the company. It's clear as day that the quality days at Disney were dying. Their recent animated movies were flops for the most part accept maybe Encanto. Strange World unfortunately looks like it'll be DOA and I'm sure they'll place the blame on the LGBT character because that's all the dumbass boomers and Fox News know how to blame. In actuality the script looks weak and it just doesn't look like a film made by Walt Disney Studios.  Marvel Phase Four has been underwhelming to say the least, especially at the box office which shouldn't happen post Endgame. Star Wars is shockingly the most successful amongst fans and critics and that's cause they returned to what works and while Kenobi was met with some controversy aka people being racist overall the Star Wars brand has been rising up. Which is a tough ask after the dumpster fire that was the sequel trilogy. The disrespect Chapek gave to all the special effects artists and animation artists was also ridiculous.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

Also I think Disney is absolutely terrified of Universal's Epic Universe which is coming next year and they haven't done anything to combat that parks arrival. 

Epic Universe got delayed to 2025, FYI, but yes, they are lacking any real response to what's essentially the biggest competitive threat Walt Disney World's ever faced (EU turns Universal Orlando from a weekend destination to something that can take up an entire Florida trip like WDW). Iger should look towards doing something about that sooner rather than later.

Edited by cookie

2 hours ago, Cap said:

Says LucasFilm... As Of This Moment.

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

Tony Gilroy, and he should know, seeing how he is the showrunner.

Gilroy and Dieog Luna both felt that the originally planned 5 seasons was too long and that they couldn't do it, so instead of five seasons with each covering a year up to Rogue One, season two will now have four three-episodes arcs each covering a year.

Yep. Six Two seasons and a movie is all we're getting.

• Thanks 1