A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The thing is that the smaller remakes didn't do great box office wise like Pete's Dragon and Christopher Robin so it makes sense to have the titles that realistically aren't going to be blockbusters to Disney+

but Pete's Dragon was based on not famous fim and Winnie-the-Pooh hasn't done super great in cinema in ages.

1 minute ago, InVy said:

but Pete's Dragon was based on not famous fim and Winnie-the-Pooh hasn't done super great in cinema in ages.

With Peter and Wendy, the track record for Pan and the 2003 Peter Pan is probably the reason why it was going to Disney+

There does seem to be a bit of an anti streaming and anti Disney vibe, are we suggesting Disney+ shouldn't have original content at all?

18 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

With Peter and Wendy, the track record for Pan and the 2003 Peter Pan is probably the reason why it was going to Disney+

There does seem to be a bit of an anti streaming and anti Disney vibe, are we suggesting Disney+ shouldn't have original content at all?

but Lilo & Stitch are still popular & nobody apart from Disney can make a film based on them. Ask Lucasfilm to make Stitch from the same magic they made Grogu & send it to cinemas. Just strange decisions all around. And tv series are better for streaming than original films. Films should go to theatres first and then they will appear on the service and some of then will become Moana and will be streamed to death. And Disney still makes small films that appear on the service.

Edited by InVy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

The economics of streaming exclusive content never made much sense in the first place....... for most studios you are pissing away money by not releasing your big budget films in theatres. Netflix can get away with it because they are the King and have the subscriber base to waste money, other streamers are not in the same position. It is kind of hard to make a case that Peter Pan and Wendy will drive enough Disney+ sign ups and retention to justify the sizeable amount of money it cost to produce it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

The thing is that the smaller remakes didn't do great box office wise like Pete's Dragon and Christopher Robin so it makes sense to have the titles that realistically aren't going to be blockbusters to Disney+

I'd argue it makes sense to just give them smaller budgets and still release them.  Make the decision that X is always released and Y is never released.

High school musical remake movies - D+.

Live action classic Disney animated - theatrical.

TV show extended movies (like a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse reunion movie) - D+.

Pixar animation - theatrical.

Don't blur the lines - just adjust the budgets.  It would be a much bigger success if the company did that, b/c for now, Disney live action classic Disney animated lovers will already be appeased by a new classic 4 weeks before Little Mermaid.  And as we see in theaters, a big hit can swamp follow ons (and previous films), and by definition, a "Free" classic to over 100M of their DOM fans (and probably ticket buyers) probably scratches that itch for awhile, or long enough for the next one to just hit D+ later...

5 hours ago, InVy said:

but Lilo & Stitch are still popular & nobody apart from Disney can make a film based on them. Ask Lucasfilm to make Stitch from the same magic they made Grogu & send it to cinemas. Just strange decisions all around.

Lilo and Stich is the wild one. They're still pumping out new Stitch Content. He's popular over seas. They're putting out a new book series for kids for him.

Why isn't this in theaters? This has NEVER been an unpopular property for them? Stitch hasn't waned in 20 years. 

I'm baffled by Disney here.

Edited by RandomCat
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Lilo and Stich is the wild one. They're still pumping out new Stitch Content. He's popular over seas. They're putting out a new book series for kids for him.

Why isn't this in theaters? This has NEVER been an unpopular property for them? Stitch hasn't waned in 20 years. 

I'm baffled by Disney here.

One sure thing of this is that The AristoCats remake is going to Disney Plus too since it would be too wilde for them putting it above Lilo & Stitch and after Hercules (or maybe The Hunchback but there haven't been any news for it) they'll start sending only the remakes of the 2010s era + Tiana to theaters unless Moana flops or dissapoints (although even there Frozen should happen at some point). The other scenario if they don't want to push all this movies too soon...start using the Pixar movies. I mean Finding Nemo shouldn't be that different from The Lion King to remake and The Incredibles is a superheroes movie...only issue are Toy Story which is still making movies and Cars, even Monsters Inc could be done same way they're doing Jumba, Pleakey and Stitch now.

• Knock It Off 1

50 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I'd rather see a live action Toy Story.

The problem to me is how make the toys show emotions, I think they did a good job making Winnie Pooh not scary but Buzz is plastic so...idk. I think that's one of the problems with the Pixar live-actions if it ever happens: Their most popular franchise just wouldn't work same with Inside Out, Soul and now Elemental. But as I said, I can imagine Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc and others like Ratatouille, Wall-e, Up and Brave with a realistic look and except for maybe Monsters Inc (need to see how they made the aliens in L&S) I don't think it would be hard to sell to the GA.

Edited by Mickiland16

tbh- I would expect something closer to 'remastered' video games. 

Where they update the graphics to a 2020s standard and keep the soundtrack, maybe add in some new lines or something by using AI to de-age the cast's voices.  

idk, I don't want this to happen, but it feels extremely plausible. 

They should do Treasure Planet, Atlantis, and Hunchback, three movies that could definitely benefit from a newer take (especially the first two). Jungle Book style.

Instead they learned all the wrong lessons from Lion King.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

They should do Treasure Planet, Atlantis, and Hunchback, three movies that could definitely benefit from a newer take (especially the first two). Jungle Book style.

and black cauldron movie series ! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Treasure planet and Atlantis literally flopped at the time. They would just flop again. Disney's trying to tap into nostalgia, not make some cinematic masterpiece with the remakes.