A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Just checked out some of the more recent streaming Nielsen ratings and it's very clear the Disney+ Hulu integration is very successful. Hulu shows now dominate substantially several of the listings, whereas previously Disney only really had movies consistently placing high. No wonder they're pushing ESPN to there too 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Just checked out some of the more recent streaming Nielsen ratings and it's very clear the Disney+ Hulu integration is very successful. Hulu shows now dominate substantially several of the listings, whereas previously Disney only really had movies consistently placing high. No wonder they're pushing ESPN to there too 

FWIW, a lot of this is due to a pre-streaming contract expiring and being replaced not real changes to viewership. It's just going to be impossible to tell what changed for such "acquired chart" shows as a result.

https://entertainment.substack.com/p/peter-griffin-battles-road-house#§television-a-nielsen-data-shift-in-the-acquired-charts

Due to business agreements which preceded the rankings, coupled with the associated technical aspects of measurement, a subset of programs have been previously unavailable for external reporting. The SCR product enhancement has addressed these areas, significantly increasing the breadth of programs reported. All affected programs fall into the acquired category, having been primarily available on Hulu and/or Peacock after airing on a given linear network….prior to this enhancement, only a very small percentage of programs would have achieved Top 10 status

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I dunno, Bobs Burgers was not in the top 10 overall before and Disney owns it outright.

Part of the problem was they weren't measuring things correctly.  Another part was not having contractual permission to publish data:

My understanding is that Nielsen had technical difficulties distinguishing between streaming and linear runs of these shows that rerun constantly, and Nielsen has finally fixed the issue (with the studio’s help). On top of that, as their quote hints at, the studios didn’t agree to public disclosure for these shows, thus Nielsen couldn’t report on some of these shows. I’m glad that situation has changed!

Like Luminate’s new data, it will take a few weeks to understand the trends from this change. But here are my quick thoughts on the acquired charts from the last two weeks:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Part of the problem was they weren't measuring things correctly.  Another part was not having contractual permission to publish data:

The Bobs Burgers movie might be a good illustration of how that could have mattered. On July 11th, 2022 the Bobs Burgers movie first charted with 431M hours while the lowest acquired show, Supernatural had 373M. The next week it was at 183M with Heartland at 371M. 

There's a little messiness because of the FOX distribution deal with HBO Max (so it was airing on Hulu(?) and Max at the time but I really do think these gaps are small enough that you'd have plausibly have expected Bobs Burgers to chart on the overall chart due to increased interest from the moderately successful movie. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

STREAMER SHARE TIME!!! 

Do not be shocked when we soon hear about Tubi out-streaming all of the non-big-3 streamers. It’s getting huge.

EDIT: I just noticed Peacock is outstreaming MAX….

image_523826.png?resize=910,511

Here’s April 2023

Nielsen_the_gauge_APR_2023_2_Infographic

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

On 5/14/2024 at 11:16 AM, AJG said:

STREAMER SHARE TIME!!! 

Do not be shocked when we soon hear about Tubi out-streaming all of the non-big-3 streamers. It’s getting huge.

EDIT: I just noticed Peacock is outstreaming MAX….

image_523826.png?resize=910,511

Here’s April 2023

Nielsen_the_gauge_APR_2023_2_Infographic

So much for the idea that streaming i just a fad that will go away.

More an more of the cable channels will begin to stream .

I think the coming of streaming was inevitable. what made it grow was the coming of cheap home Wi FI,. And I repeat this would have happened even if Covid had never happened, it just would have taken longer. COvid just speeded up the process. which is why those waiting for movie box office to go back to the way it was before Covid are just fooling themsleves.

Disney CEO Bob Iger gave a mea culpa for big losses incurred while launching streaming platforms like Disney+ during an investor conference appearance on Wednesday.

“As we got into the streaming business in a very, very aggressive way, we tried to tell too many stories. Basically we invested too much, way ahead of possible returns. It’s what led to streaming ending up as a $4 billion loss,” Iger told the MoffettNathanson Media, Internet & Communications Conference during a session that was webcast.

The result of spending more on content than could be turned to profit “resulted in volume and not quality, which turned out to be a mistake,” Iger added. The Disney boss conceded volume was required to win the streaming wars against rivals like Netflix and Prime Video.

But he added: “There’s a very fine line that you can cross and get in trouble if your volume ends up diluting management’s attention to what is being made is right. And that’s what happened to us. So I have pulled that back,” Iger told the conference.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-bob-iger-streaming-1235899938/

Told (too many) stories before they were ready to be told and on a too-aggressive schedule?

Gosh, where have I heard that mea culpa before?

(reminder: SW fans are rightly infamous for holding on to petty grudges and complaints for literally decades 😇)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-bob-iger-streaming-1235899938/

Told (too many) stories before they were ready to be told and on a too-aggressive schedule?

Gosh, where have I heard that mea culpa before?

(reminder: SW fans are rightly infamous for holding on to petty grudges and complaints for literally decades 😇)

I think the overagressiv e and pushing stuff out the window before it had a really script polish applies to the MCU shoes as well as the SE shows. and no doubt he simply grouped the Marvel shows too close together.  Peole just got burned out on not going from one MCU show to another with only a couple of weeks break. I note they hav e been spaced much farther apart recently.

Nielsen also released the figures for overall cross platform TV viewing for each mega-corporation for April 

Screenshot-2024-05-18-at-20.37.361-2048x

Remember - Disney also includes ESPN. But still….

• Like 1

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/john-musker-disney-animation-needs-a-course-correction-241223.html

The main thing I get out of this is that Katzenberg left a note saying Little Mermaid should be like Die Hard. Otherwise just the same old same old "storytelling before messaging" stuff. I know Musker says that there was "only one" Katzenberg in the 90s but that doesn't seem to be true once he left. I don't know what the "15 directors" he refers to are WDAS' braintrust or something else 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

I know Musker says that there was "only one" Katzenberg in the 90s but that doesn't seem to be true once he left. I don't know what the "15 directors" he refers to are WDAS' braintrust or something else 

I think he is saying there were benefits to Katzenberg's regime.

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commentary/john-musker-disney-animation-needs-a-course-correction-241223.html

The main thing I get out of this is that Katzenberg left a note saying Little Mermaid should be like Die Hard. Otherwise just the same old same old "storytelling before messaging" stuff. I know Musker says that there was "only one" Katzenberg in the 90s but that doesn't seem to be true once he left. I don't know what the "15 directors" he refers to are WDAS' braintrust or something else 

It's so strange to wish for the Katzenberg days, because DreamWorks Animation's output with him in charge was very hit or miss. 

• Like 1

In terms of the internal processes, Musker can only speak to the Katzenberg and the Lasseter eras. He's been gone six years so he can only really comment on the Lee era from the outside. He may not have loved it, but I think few would argue with the quality of films coming out under Lasseter. In particular, he's commenting on Moana and it seems safe to say that Disney has no regrets about how that one turned out. 

7 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

It's so strange to wish for the Katzenberg days, because DreamWorks Animation's output with him in charge was very hit or miss. 

Musker is reminiscing about the good old days.  He and Katz had many problems, but he is nostalgic.