A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

One last thing.

The scary/unsettling/irritating thing isn't that Peltz felt comfortable enough saying inanely bigoted stuff like he did.

The scary/unsettling/irritating thing is... enough major shareholders are/were willing to overlook such things and back him anyway.

In the end, I have no idea how much it actually cost him.  Maybe he was "always" going to lose.  But the fact that the CalPERSs  of the world still said "Wellll, Iger doesn't have a succession plan in place so let's shake things up/bring in new views!" isn't exactly great news, either.

Or rather, no matter how lopsided it eventually is, it shouldn't have been that close.  

The saying "birds of a feather flock together" certainly carries some weight.

But just remember that as much of a right they may have to say such idiocy, we have just as much of one to laugh at them for it. Nelson Peltz should probably consider himself lucky that he's not famous enough to be spoofed on SNL (and deliver a thin-skinned response to the parody, as those who fall on the conservative side tend to do when made fun of on that show).

• Like 1

My guess is even with the votes secure they're still going to want to lay the sugar on shareholders. Based on previous years, we'll probably get some park news (probably a date for Bob Igers final victory over Song of the South, the new Tiana ride), some exclusive footage of Deadpool 3 and or Planet of the Apes, talking up recent Disney+ successes with Taylor Swift and the Hulu integration, the Oscars. Even if theyve won the vote they still want shareholders to come out feeling good (especially since a lot of the shareholders probably may not know Disneys already won it).

Edited by SpiderByte

This is the best outcome. And I think Disney needed this. I think they need this pressure to get their shit together and the future looming threat will always have Disney on their edge to perform and pick the right CEO.

Disney needs to go back to making great content and I think this contentious fight was important to force it and keep it for next long years. Here's hoping for a good 2024 for Disney in theaters because theaters would appreciate it very much.

• Like 1

They'll definitely be talking up recent successes, but I'm not expecting much in the way of major consumer interest news dumps. They more or less already did that with the Feb meeting, and they have cinemacon coming up next week to show stuff off.

I want to know how close the splits were because the way the news media was acting like this vote was life or death was some of the most irritating nonsense of the last month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJG said:

I want to know how close the splits were because the way the news media was acting like this vote was life or death was some of the most irritating nonsense of the last month.

I figured I only heard about it because I was in tune with movie news. I think that it was overblown in many ways: The chance of Peltz getting on the board and the impact of Peltz should he get on the board.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I also don't think he was intending to force out Iger, it was mainly his political rhetoric that everyone jumped on

Peltz literally said he wasn't trying to do that. But some people think if Peltz got on the board, Iger would leave earlier.

Shareholder meeting in t-2 hours. Keep in mind voters are allowed to change their vote during the meeting, I believe, so while unlikely to switch up so quickly don't expect an official victory lap during the actual call. Another reason I think they'll lay the butter on extra sweet this time, just in case.

Edited by SpiderByte

33 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I also don't think he was intending to force out Iger, it was mainly his political rhetoric that everyone jumped on

I don't think they could have forced Iger out (at least not directly), but Perlmutter bitter over his minimization and then firing at Marvel, and Rasulo still smarting over getting passed over for the top job, definitely formed their little sad boys club with Peltz to settle old scores and be a pain in Iger's side. Iger losing the confidence of shareholders would have definitely been a dint on his legacy and his power as CEO. He would have had to make nice and work with Peltz in order to make his continued role as CEO tenable. 

13 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

He wouldn't have forced iger out but he'd have been a huge pain in the ass, plus with Marvel specifically he'd likely be strongly influenced by Perlmutter.

Right. We don't need that with the Age of X dawning on the MCU. The mutants already suffered enough with Murdoch-owned Fox for two decades.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I figured I only heard about it because I was in tune with movie news. I think that it was overblown in many ways: The chance of Peltz getting on the board and the impact of Peltz should he get on the board.

Someone I know who doesn't follow anything related to this stuff talked to me about the barrage of ads they were getting about it. 

I thought it was overblown until I started seeing these torrents of ads. That was a costly signal people felt the chance was real enough to trigger more than just media chatter.

impact of Peltz should he get on the board.

Yeah, it's been frustrating to figure out what people actually think the real impact of the victory would have been instead of fandom/culture war rah-rah-ing about it (while crucially not being interested in a deep dive on the subject).

What a waste of time. Everyone should be embarrassed. I saw articles from legit sources that read as if Disney would cease to exist in a week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

banging-head-ouch.gif

To know it wasn't even close makes it worse. I feel like how non-Succession fans felt after being barraged by forced discussion of a show they've never heard of.

50 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

As I said earlier this week, i would have been shocked had Peltz won. Perlmutter is another piece of trash as well. 

That said Disney has issues and they better identify a long term successor soon. 

The 2 key ones are Iger's succesor and getting the ball rolling on a new park at WDW.