A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

If TR goes bonkers on the plus which I suspect it will, Lightyear will also go to the plus. They got a few weeks to make a decision it seems. We should hear soon with CinemaCon around the corner.

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I think those two aren't in the fiscal year. Disney's fiscal years end in August or September (I know it's weird)

But he also mentioned Avatar 2 in December (Or is that fiscal year different under 20th Century).

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

If TR goes bonkers on the plus which I suspect it will, Lightyear will also go to the plus. They got a few weeks to make a decision it seems.

Sonic 2's opening is clearly going to be what influences their decision (since it'll be the first major family film since December).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sonic 2's opening is clearly going to be what influences their decision (since it'll be the first major family film since December).

They could also wait towards Cinemacon but I think Turning Red’s numbers will be the biggest determinative as Sing 2 doing well didn’t save TR.

Just now, YourMother said:

They could also wait towards Cinemacon but I think Turning Red’s numbers will be the biggest determinative as Sing 2 doing well didn’t save TR.

Turning Red moving was clearly a business decision due to the rise of Omicron fears at the time along with little in the way of new content for D+ that would be ready by March. Being an original title at a time when only IP has been thriving did it (and Luca, for that matter) no favors in staying theatrical either. If Sonic 2 is big in a few weeks then they're not gonna have much of an excuse, especially when D+ won't be starving for new content by the time summer gets here.

• Like 2

Better late than never. Putting some money up, signing a human rights bill and having a meeting are all great but should have gotten ahead of things. 

edit: this is in regards to the LGBT rights issues in Florida. 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Turning Red moving was clearly a business decision due to the rise of Omicron fears at the time along with little in the way of new content for D+ that would be ready by March. Being an original title at a time when only IP has been thriving did it (and Luca, for that matter) no favors in staying theatrical either. If Sonic 2 is big in a few weeks then they're not gonna have much of an excuse, especially when D+ won't be starving for new content by the time summer gets here.

I mean, why do they have in the summer besides Kenobi?

Edited by YourMother

17 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Better late than never. Putting some money up, signing a human rights bill and having a meeting are all great but should have gotten ahead of things. 

More context:

I could snark about "damage control", but instead I'll note that: Pressure Works.

(not always, but often enough)

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Still not great lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

More context:

I could snark about "damage control", but instead I'll note that: Pressure Works.

(not always, but often enough)

He will meet with DeSantis, and Governor Death will still sign the bill.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/disney-pixar-same-sex-affection-censorship-dont-say-gay-bill-1235200582/

Disney Censors Same-Sex Affection in Pixar Films, According to Letter From Employees

In a statement attributed to “the LGBTQIA+ employees of Pixar, and their allies” obtained by Variety, employees of the animation studio allege that Disney corporate executives have demanded cuts from “nearly every moment of overtly gay affection… regardless of when there is protest from both the creative teams and executive leadership at Pixar.”

The stunning claim is part of a wider reaction to the company-wide memo sent to Disney employees by CEO Bob Chapek on Monday regarding its response to the recently passed legislation in Florida known as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill. In the memo, Chapek states that the “biggest impact” the company can make “in creating a more inclusive world is through the inspiring content we produce.”

According to the Pixar letter, that claim is at odds with employees’ experience of trying to create content with same-sex affection approved by Disney executives.

“We at Pixar have personally witnessed beautiful stories, full of diverse characters, come back from Disney corporate reviews shaved down to crumbs of what they once were,” the letter states. “Even if creating LGBTQIA+ content was the answer to fixing the discriminatory legislation in the world, we are being barred from creating it.”