A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

24 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The thing is he is going to do something that will make him too  toxic. Question is when.

Maybe not even "too toxic", just need something that breaks through and gets the dominoes falling.  

I'll admit upfront I don't know what that is or what level of "bad" it needs to be.  What I do know is that as of right now, Chapek not only isn't winning many friends, but alienating the exact sort of people who he could fall back on when his situation inevitably gets dicey.

Still, extremely unfortunately IMO, I think he's safe as long as shareholders/the investor class is happy with Disney Plus's situation.   That is where Chapek is pushing most of his chips and as long as Disney Plus is strong, he'll probably be fine. Just not hearing much in the grapevine to tell me differently.  Though if anyone has heard differently, that'd please me to no end.

But if anything causes Plus to go wobbly, even if only in perception, or I suppose if Marvel starts underperforming at the box office... Then I think Chapek is in a world of hurt.

Aside from that, just have to see if Chapek really steps in it and becomes "too toxic" as you say.

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

It’s what they deserve. Disney are always on the wrong side of LGBT history. 

The problem is they have been on the right side of history in the past and in fact they have used their size to cause change fairly recently.

Disney and its Marvel Studios film unit will not shoot future movies in Georgia if a controversial bill that critics contend would legalize anti-gay discrimination is signed by that state’s governor. Among other companies, Viacom, 21st Century Fox, Lionsgate, CBS as well as the AMC Networks, which films The Walking Dead in the state, have called on Gov. Nathan Deal to veto the legislation.

“Disney and Marvel are inclusive companies, and although we have had great experiences filming in Georgia, we will plan to take our business elsewhere should any legislation allowing discriminatory practices be signed into state law,” a Disney spokesman said Wednesday.

Marvel has filmed such movies as Ant-Man and the upcoming Captain America: Civil War and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 in Atlanta, taking advantage of Georgia’s attractive tax incentives. While Disney’s statement specifically mentioned Marvel, other Disney units like ABC Studios and Disney Studios would also take part in the boycott.

In the wake of Disney’s move today, Griffin said, “We applaud Disney and Marvel for standing up for fairness and equality by sending a strong warning to Governor Deal. It’s appalling that anti-LGBT activists in Georgia are trying to pass legislation creating an explicit right to discriminate against LGBTAmericans. We urge other studios, major corporations, and fair-mind Georgians to continue speaking out and urging Gov. Deal to veto this heinous piece of legislation sitting on his desk.”

The advocacy group GLAAD also recognized Disney’s stance, with its president and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis saying in a statement, “Disney is the first studio to speak out, but not the last. Now, Governor Deal needs to demonstrate his leadership by vetoing a law that would harm not only LGBT Georgians, but the growing entertainment industry that supports Georgia’s economy.”

source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/disney-fox-viacom-cbs-amc-877659/

At a press conference moments ago, Georgia Governor Nathan Deal announced that he will veto a bill that would allow discrimination against LGBTQ people. Numerous corporations and celebrities have denounced the bill and threatened to leave the state or abandon planned projects if the bill became law.

Hollywood has been particularly invested in the fight against the bill. Companies like Disney, Netflix, CBS, NBCUniversal, and Discovery joined forces with actors and producers like Aaron Sorkin, Ryan Murphy and Julianne Moore to oppose the legislation. Georgia offers Hollywood production companies huge tax breaks as an incentive to shoot in the state, which took in $1.7 billion last year in revenues from such companies.

Source: https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/03/breaking-georgia-governor-will-veto-religious-discrimination-bill/

Now obviously Disney (and Universal for that matter) cannot threaten to move their theme parks out of Florida unlike how they threatened to leave Georgia but at the very least they can make a statement that supports their LGBT staff and the LGBT people of Florida rather than both siding things.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Potiki said:

The problem is they have been on the right side of history in the past and in fact they have used their size to cause change fairly recently.

Not often enough unfortunately. 

They need to do more and pick a side.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Disney had so many negative stories about them last year that they’re just continuing on into 2022 with another. I’m sure there will be more to come throughout the year. 

And that is bad for Chapek becuase Disney has always been obssesed with a favorable public image.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 1:31 PM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Yeah, we're definitely getting a Kenobi trailer this week as a distraction.

Like clockwork. Big corporations are so predictable. They'll likely toss in some Marvel stuff too (Thor 4 and/or Ms. Marvel; likely the latter as it's the more progressive one which they can use as a prop more effectively). Maybe even an Encanto sequel announcement on top. I really wouldn't want to be in these marketing departments' shoes right now, cobbling together footage at the last minute because of Chapek's lack of empathy and self-awareness.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Like clockwork. Big corporations are so predictable. They'll likely toss in some Marvel stuff too (Thor 4 and/or Ms. Marvel; likely the latter as it's the more progressive one which they can use as a prop more effectively). Maybe even an Encanto sequel announcement on top. I really wouldn't want to be in these marketing departments' shoes right now, cobbling together footage at the last minute because of Chapek's lack of empathy and self-awareness.

Is Entertainment Weekly on this kick as well cuz they released a cover for Kenobi as well 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iHeartJames said:

Is Entertainment Weekly on this kick as well cuz they released a cover for Kenobi as well 

The Don't Say Gay Disney controversy kicked off on Monday, so EW might be in on it too. I'm not fully sure on that though, since there's also physical magazines involved, which can't exactly be put together on a whim.

19 minutes ago, Morieris said:

So in maybe Oct. 2020 I remember being able to listen to the call (one of their investor's calls) in real time.

I wonder if they're doing that today or a recording later.

They're always available to the public. I'm not a shareholder, but I always try to listen to these webcasts live when I drive home from work. Sadly, I'll still be in the office at 1 PM

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-walt-disney-companys-2022-annual-meeting-of-shareholders/

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

They're always available to the public. I'm not a shareholder, but I always try to listen to these webcasts live when I drive home from work. Sadly, I'll still be in the office at 1 PM

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/the-walt-disney-companys-2022-annual-meeting-of-shareholders/

Good looking out. I am a shareholder (Whoo, go Stash), but they hadn't sent an email...

Obviously there's Obi-Wan, but it's also possible we might get some Marvel stuff. Thor 4 is just 4 months away, and Ms. Marvel could be used as a counterprop against all the Don't Say Gay controversy because progressiveness and all. An Encanto sequel announcement could be possible too. They need the public to be distracted while they deal with this problem, and these would all be decent ways to do so.

16 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Today is the day Lightyear goes to the Plus.

Maybe, but Disney+ has Obi-Wan running through most of June which should keep subscribers busy. And Lightyear is actually a known brand so Disney might be more willing to give it a proper launch.

My analysis about Turning Red's shift is that it likely happened because March is pretty much a wasteland for Disney+ until Moon Knight arrives. It also isn't a particularly grand or epic movie. A very personal story for Domee Shi. It might not have done too well in theaters regardless, because spectacle is the name of the game in exhibition save for the occasional Dog. Also, Omicron was taking hold when that decision was made. Lightyear won't have to deal with those problems. It might still shift (never underestimate Chapek's penny-pinching) but it's not an absolute certainty.

Folks.. There's been persistent rumormongering in the leak community that there would be a Kenobi trailer today long before this "Don't Say Gay" controversy broke out.

If one drops today or if we also get Marvel stuff, it very likely is a fortuitous-for-Disney coincidence.