CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

17 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Uh, except he's fucking dead accurate on the number before estimates come out?  Like every time?  So, he's just really good at predicting box office numbers down to the exact decimal point?  Yeah, that's not a coincidence.

And yeah, there hadn't been anything to suggest Kong had major problems either.  Neither did BvS, or Suicide Squad, etc.  They seemed to have had smooth productions until a few days out before release, where a LOT was revealed.

I can't say I'm surprised. It seems like a typical Warner Bros. problem with blockbuster films.

As long as the quality of the film wasn't affected, I don't give a shit. Even if it did, I'm still seeing this on opening day, or a Thursday screening (provided that any of my loser theaters happen to show it; they've been letting me down lately).

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Uh, except he's fucking dead accurate on the number before estimates come out?  Like every time?  So, he's just really good at predicting box office numbers down to the exact decimal point?  Yeah, that's not a coincidence.

And yeah, there hadn't been anything to suggest Kong had major problems either.  Neither did BvS, or Suicide Squad, etc.  They seemed to have had smooth productions until a few days out before release, where a LOT was revealed.

Listen we can argue about this until this cows come home but it won't mean anything until the movie is actually out. Once opening weekend is here the proof will be in the pudding. However as it stands absolutely ZERO evidence, sources or facts have been given to show that this movie is either a bad movie, had a troubled production or will bomb at the BO. We've still got a month and a half to go.

2 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

Listen we can argue about this until this cows come home but it won't mean anything until the movie is actually out. Once opening weekend is here the proof will be in the pudding. However as it stands absolutely ZERO evidence, sources or facts have been given to show that this movie is either a bad movie, had a troubled production or will bomb at the BO. We've still got a month and a half to go.

Stop saying "zero evidence" when it's clear EC is the evidence we need.  It may not be evidence you agree with, but it still is evidence.

13 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

But he is a source.

But again how is he a source? You said he got some numbers exactly right on a particular day for a movie. Okay great. What does that have to do with this movie? He made a couple of vague statements with no further detail or explanation. Im supposed to take that as gospel? I want to know who his sources are and how he got the alleged information when I can't find a trace of it anywhere.

Edited by AgentofMONARCH

5 minutes ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

But again how is he a source? You said he got some numbers exactly right on a particular day for a movie. Okay great. What does that have to do with this movie? He made a couple of vague statements with no further detail or explanation. Im supposed to take that as gospel? I want to know who his sources are and how he got the alleged information when I can't find a trace of it anywhere.

His sources can't be found anywhere cause studios don't go spewing out all of the production issues they have with the movie.  That'd be stupid as fuck.  He probably doesn't know all the details of the production issues given the vague nature of the post, but he probably heard others talk about it in conversation.

As for the numbers part?  That proves that he has special access to information that no one else can have at the time.

It's also abundantly clear you didn't really join this forum to talk about box office so much as getting pissed off that someone has heard negative information on a movie you're excited about.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

His sources can't be found anywhere cause studios don't go spewing out all of the production issues they have with the movie.  That'd be stupid as fuck.  He probably doesn't know all the details of the production issues given the vague nature of the post, but he probably heard others talk about it in conversation.

As for the numbers part?  That proves that he has special access to information that no one else can have at the time.

It's also abundantly clear you didn't really join this forum to talk about box office so much as getting pissed off that someone has heard negative information on a movie you're excited about.

So I'm not allowed to question where information is coming from?

• Like 1

Just now, AgentofMONARCH said:

You are, except for the fact that his information has been proven to be veritable on multiple occasions.  I think it's time to not doubt him given his history with his posts and how often he's right about a lot of shit.

If someone we're going around spewing this shit and had nothing to back it up, then that's a problem.  But he has proved to be a reliable source time and time again.

Off the top of my head, Empire has been right on these movies' receptions:

Civil War

Nice Guys

Popstar

Suicide Squad

Passengers

There's probably more I'm forgetting. The only one he was wrong on was Mag 7; he expected it to be a big crowdpleaser but it got a warm reception. Still, we don't give him too much flack for that considering how right he's been on everything else and Mag 7 did have its fair share of fans.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, AgentofMONARCH said:

You're allowed to question it. You're new, so you haven't really experienced Empire yet. I get it. Just stay on the boards for a while, and you'll see how accurate he usually is, and why we put lots of trust in him.

Like NoobSaibot says, it's a WB blockbuster. They usually have problems with them. See BvS, MoS, Tarzan, et. al. 

Just wait and see if you trust him later.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, franfar said:

You're allowed to question it. You're new, so you haven't really experienced Empire yet. I get it. Just stay on the boards for a while, and you'll see how accurate he usually is, and why we put lots of trust in him.

Like NoobSaibot says, it's a WB blockbuster. They usually have problems with them. See BvS, MoS, Tarzan, et. al. 

Just wait and see if you trust him later.

Actually, this is a Legendary Pictures film. WB is just distributing.

Anyway, the film looks good..... It'll be fine.

On 1/27/2017 at 6:52 AM, filmlover said:

Poor Brie. At least she has Captain Marvel.

Yeah, I wanted to like it for her sake but the trailer does nothing for me.  On the other hand, I may not be the target audience.  I like sci-fi but more the 'space opera' type of sci fi, or maybe Andromeda Strain.  I didn't watch Godzilla, and I understand it did quite all right without me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Off the top of my head, Empire has been right on these movies' receptions:

Civil War

Nice Guys

Popstar

Suicide Squad

Passengers

There's probably more I'm forgetting. The only one he was wrong on was Mag 7; he expected it to be a big crowdpleaser but it got a warm reception. Still, we don't give him too much flack for that considering how right he's been on everything else and Mag 7 did have its fair share of fans.

Well, he did think all signs pointed to Live by The Night being a great film and doing well, didn't he? But to be fair I don't think he had any insider information on that one, it was more of a gut feeling based on the change of the release dates and a couple of other general bits of information.

When he actually has insider information he's usually right, as you've pointed out.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

I obviously can't and will never reveal for the most part where I hear things or I will no longer be hearing them if that makes sense.  

They are tidbits of info sometimes and mostly opinion but I never present them as facts unless I am really sure about them.  They don't always turn out to be "right" as it goes for the majority of opinion on a movie.  For example, people I know that saw Moana very early were mixed on it but obviously it did very well and had great reviews.  Same thing with Magnificent Seven where people that got to see it very early thought it would be a huge crowd pleasing film but was mixed.  

Live by Night is another example where I heard from a source very early that it was good and Warner Bros. loved it and then a few weeks later it moved up 10 months and was given an Oscar qualifying run and The Revenant release pattern.  All of the signs were there that the studio really loved it and it would be good but it ended up being a mess.  

There are a lot of things I don't let on about here that I hear because it is extremely sensitive and don't want to give up that info either way.  It isn't fair to the studio or filmmakers involved in a lot of cases.  I am a huge fan of film and the industry, so I want everything to succeed.  I only say something a lot of times when more than a few people have gotten to see it already or it is positive news for the most part.  

Kong: Skull Island is already screening for various people.  I had heard the troubled production thing for a long time through chatter, but who knows for sure on that.  The word out of screenings from a few people is it is not all that good.  That is opinion.  

The movie is going to come out.  People will either like it or not and everyone can form their own views and everything will be fine either way.  

I'm a nobody for the most part.  This site is read and respected, but we aren't moving the needle even a little bit when it comes to giving out tidbits of information or opinion.  I didn't see Moana being hurt because people came out of trade screenings saying they thought it was mediocre.  It did fine.  =)

• Like 23

Don't worry, guys. Warner Bros CEO Kevin Tsujihara earned an MBA degree from Stanford University. He must be very SMART. Otherwise he would not have got that degree. He could turn things around. In Kevin we trust!

Edited by WeneedtotalkaboutKevin
del
  • Like 1