Cedarpoint1111

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 | Sept 27, 2013 | Estimated 3,800 theaters

I love the first movie. It has no big competition so it will open number one on its weekend. I hope it crashes the opening weekend record of Hotel Transylvania. I'm looking forward to this and I hope it does not disappoint. 

$54 million opening weekend 

(1) No kiddie competition for the month before or the month after

(2) Hotel Transylvania, Shark Tale, and other kids movies have done well in this slot

(3) The original has a ton of good will

(4) Looks light-hearted and fun 

(5) Only tentpole-ish movie until Thor 2 and first one since Elysium/Wolverine 

I'm nearly 18 years old and there is tons of good adult fare this season, yet for some reason, I'm really looking forward to this. My one hesitation is that Lord and Miller aren't returning, but that's understandable, since they have two movies next year. 

The leek and the tear jokes just get me for some reason.

• Like 1

If the budget reported by THR is right, then that's awesome. How can a sequel be more than 20% cheaper?

Cloudy was in development for a while but I think Sony has opened new studios in India and Vancouver which might have cut some of the costs for the sequel. The budget for Hotel Transylvania was $85m which was surprising as that too was in development hell and it was done fairly quickly for an animated film as Genndy came onboard only 18 months before the film was due to be released, only Toy Story 2 had a faster production period. Edited by Jonwo