Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

Well legs or no legs Godzilla is a success. It will do around 500 or better and when I saw the first trailer for it last year I really thought it would tank. So good on Godzilla for making a decent haul even if it did plummet after the first weekend.

• Like 6

I can't believe people are trying to defend Godzilla's drops. If this was a Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich film dropping like this then people would be all over it but because it is a geek friendly movie people let it slide

Who is defending it? Maybe a couple but most are being realistic about it.
  • Like 6

Well legs or no legs Godzilla is a success. It will do around 500 or better and when I saw the first trailer for it last year I really thought it would tank. So good on Godzilla for making a decent haul even if it did plummet after the first weekend.

Do you think the sequel will be a tough sell since some feel cheated by the marketing of the first film?

Do you think the sequel will be a tough sell since some feel cheated by the marketing of the first film?

The next one will drop for sure....unless they just throw all kinds of monster fights at us.

Just want to say american beauty is a 3 feet pile of pig shit. Never understood the love this movie got. It's not enjoyable in anyway. It was on hbo last night.

Edited by Drunkzilla
  • Like 3

I think Wolverine is just overused and overexposed. That will be the case with MCU leads at some point if Marvel pushing it.The thing about X-movies is that aside from fans, there are hardly people who care for the gazillion mutants that popped up, heck, I don't care for more than half of them (and it's not like the movies gave me reasons to either)

I feel this way, and the ones the general audience do care about, the movies do shit with.

When I went to see DOFP last Friday, when Rogue was shown at the last minute, so many people gasped and whispered "look, it's Rogue!" "Hope she's in the next one". Maybe my viewing audience is strange, but I can't help but think with the popularity of True Blood, that Anna Paquin could have brought in some more dough for the movie if her screen time was amped up a bit.

• Like 1

OK to clarify a couple points

The data that has been posted , which shouldn't be (I have known over the years raw data to appear on other site where in a nutshell listing the data was shut down), is not the total gross up until that point in time it is a sample of theatres.

Also included in that sample is a sample of the theatres grosses that played Thu night/midnight , hence a higher than usual number at 10am (fyi you would fall of your chair if you saw say TA at 10am first friday, the addition of this data has to be taken into account as it effect final outcomes)

X films sample data at say 11am,2pm,5pm,7pm is not necessarily the same as films Y Z you might be comparing, so may factor come into it,

like how big is the sample vs  what is the total number of theatres playing (is it 3100 or 4000), is school out, isn't it, some other holiday, weather the list goes on.

When you try and factor in some comp films to try and help make heads or tails of raw sample the films used could be a different mix to what you are using for the actual results on what I think Fri, weekend, final cume etc is going to do.

Like you could compare a film that could do 30m on friday with one that does 50m, why because those titles may be seen to have similar trends better matinees , stronger /weaker evening, plays better in certain markets/regions etc etc so you are ultimately looking at what does TWS 3pm sample BO % to total day vs whatever

Lets say you looked at TWS OD 2pm compared to Thor OD 2pm if you had assumed the same % of business you would have projected TWS to do 43m for the day it did 37, now using Thor as example later in the day there was closer correlation between the two films say you looked at 7pm and based TWS on what Thor had done you would have now projected 37m. so in this case Thor could have been used as a comparion in the evening but not in daytime.

All I can say is this is mostly wrong.  The numbers I used did not include any of Thursday's grosses.  I know better than that.  Also the data involved a "sample" of theatres if by sample you mean a total of 3,600 theatres or more.  That is, it was the vast majority of total theatres that have the ability to report grosses.  I was also very careful to use comps that were being polled at a similar number of locations.  In other words, I know what I'm doing.

Edited by spatulashack
  • Like 9

So is Spidey for all of the grief it took, the winner of May?

I think it'll still be X-men if it's overseas numbers don't fall off a cliff this weekend. Having an international total bigger than any previous X-men's worldwide take is a bigger thing than anything Spider-Man has done.

Just want to say american beauty is a 3 feet pike if pig shit. Never understood the love this movie got. It's not enjoyable in anyway. It was on hbo last night.

Top 5 of all time for me. :)