Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

I'm saying WOM is relatively pointless for these sorts of movies. PACIFIC RIM, CLOVERFIELD, etc. There's a core base and an inherent ceiling, unless the movie is something truly exceptional or unique.

Maybe so, but GZ2014 could have easily done much better if they simply made the title character the primary aspect of the story.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

Interstellar over 400M? No way. No way. It is just not happening, IMO.

For what it's worth, I don't think anything hits $400m this year (right now, anyway). MJ1 could easily drop to around $370-390m (which would still be a stellar gross).

God...Over MJ1? Keeping expectations in check, dude.  :P

I didn't say that I expect it to. I'm saying it's possible, just like Tele's $205m is possible. ;)

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

People love talking about WOM and all, but I'm coming to the conclusion that there are certain franchises or genres that have a set fan base but need something really unique or exceptional to break out beyond that. The core group goes to see it, but the movie never really expands past that. It doesn't really have to do with toxic WOM or anything, but there's not enough there to specifically grab someone who wouldn't normally see it. So you get large (or larger-than-expected) openings but weak legs afterwards.

Obviously GODZILLA is one of these; the X-franchise is another. You could argue that the first 4 Fast/Furious movies were too, until they managed to break out with FAST FIVE.

The thing about your statement as it relates to X-Men is that this was supposed to be that unique movie. It was combining the old cast with the new cast in the same movie. It was being called the X-Men version of The Avengers (although I never understood that comparison).

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

Maybe so, but GZ2014 could have easily done much better if they simply made the title character the primary aspect of the story.

The same way that Transformers would be amazing if it was just about the robots? You guys are so hung up on this.

• Like 3

The same way that Transformers would be amazing if it was just about the robots? You guys are so hung up on this.

The Transformers don't have all of their screentime crammed into the last 15 minutes of the movie. It is a valid complaint and I don't think it's just Internet people who feel that way about it. Movie would be holding up better otherwise.

• Like 4

The Transformers don't have all of their screentime crammed into the last 15 minutes of the movie. It is a valid complaint and I don't think it's just Internet people who feel that way about it. Movie would be holding up better otherwise.

I don't think you can make any sort of definitive statement about that.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

The thing about your statement as it relates to X-Men is that this was supposed to be that unique movie. It was combining the old cast with the new cast in the same movie. It was being called the X-Men version of The Avengers (although I never understood that comparison).

Speaking for myself and probably most others, the main comparison between X-Men and Avengers was that each offered something unique to the superhero genre. For Avengers, it was assembling a collection of major superheroes (even though X-Men kinda did that first). For DOFP, it was time travel and the combo of two different casts. That was the extent of any comparison between the two as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 3

I don't think you can make any sort of definitive statement about that.

It's no more definitive than your assertion that Godzilla is "obviously" similar to the X-Men franchise, even though we have all of 2 movies (both with shitty WOM) to judge Godzilla on.

• Like 1

Just rubbing it in Red as only I do best.. :stirthepot: 

Well, I dunno why anyone would feel...err, "rubbed in".  :ph34r:

It would have been great for DOFP to do 250 but realistic expectations were around the 220-230 mark. Getting the series back on track, with a great movie, and the huge increase OS is an extremely good result and everyone should be happ, even though there is the feeling that it could have done more.

TA2 is sure to be gigantic, but I'd be happier if its quality were on par with DOFP, even if it doesn't make 600 million... ;)

It's no more definitive than your assertion that Godzilla is "obviously" similar to the X-Men franchise, even though we have all of 2 movies (both with shitty WOM) to judge Godzilla on.

I don't think you can say Godzilla's WOM is shitty. It also fits into the pattern of the giant monster genre in general (at least domestically).

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 7

People love talking about WOM and all, but I'm coming to the conclusion that there are certain franchises or genres that have a set fan base but need something really unique or exceptional to break out beyond that. The core group goes to see it, but the movie never really expands past that. It doesn't really have to do with toxic WOM or anything, but there's not enough there to specifically grab someone who wouldn't normally see it. So you get large (or larger-than-expected) openings but weak legs afterwards.

Obviously GODZILLA is one of these; the X-franchise is another. You could argue that the first 4 Fast/Furious movies were too, until they managed to break out with FAST FIVE.

X-Men, yes, they're always fairly front loaded. 

Godzilla? Na... it dropped 67% on a Holiday weekend and its gonna drop 60%+ again this weekend.  I never expected it to make more than 250m, even with that surprising opening, but the fact that it may not even make 200m is telling...

• Like 1