Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

Is it true that E of T really has a production budget of 170 million?  If that is true, this looks like another case of Hollywod going way overboard with the budget and visual effects, instead of simply trying to make this movie with about a 100 million dollar budget.  Same kind of thing that is now happening with Johnny Depp and others, and probably Jupiter Ascending.

• Like 1

That's funny coming from Dash.  Because, you know, there's all kinds of original stories coming out of Hollywood now.  

Just saw HTTYD2. Strong sequel. Really liked it, but didn't love it. Some great scenes but the first was better.Watch it, though. Visual style is stunning beyond belief...plus RUFFNUT.

• Like 2

what about Dawn of the Planet of the Apes? are you not interested

So far nothing really got me excited about it. 

Btw, Universal's NEIGHBORS has scored $85.6M overseas, $223M worldwide...on a budget of $18M.

• Like 1

Placement doesn't matter. They're not playing each other, they're playing the house :) But so much around here is based on movies beating one another, so fine.

Thank Nikki...

Let them fight.

$178M budget, let alone marketing, and it opened to $29M (at best). Of course it tanked.

Original or not, it's true, Godzilla had its third >50% drop in a row.

I agree TFIOS will have a huge drop, but I can't see EoT dropping less than 50%, no matter how good the film is. This genre of movies always fall more than 50%.

I made the names based on their box-office performance. The movie may be shit (dunno, I haven't seen it), but dropping only 51% is impressive since most high-profile films this summer dropped by more than 60%. It is also a smaller drop than SWATH (-59%). With the competition it had, it is admittedly an impressive hold.

MALEFISHIT didn't open to more than 90 M.

How about this:

1) The film that made it's budget back on Friday morning at 11AM

2) Jolie's panacea 

3) Cruise isn't on the driver's seat anymore

4) Has a chance to double the gross of FC

5) Seth should have cast someone else in the lead

6) Dropzilla

I agree with all of them except maybe #4. I don't think it's the right perspective because it is also a sequel to The Last Stand, which DOFp will not out-gross in North America. (the list I made only takes the NA BO into account, otherwise for example EOT was very impressive in China)

After next weekend Summer goes into darkness. Wake me up when Interstellar arrives.

I don't even have next weekend.  I will see other movies, but really until August, there is nothing I am begging to see

None of those is $180m budgeted flop ....  :rolleyes:

With 180m, you can try 10+ FAULTs.

Yes...but it is still a failure. For comparision's sake:

Beautiful Creatures: $58.9M WW gross on an $85M budget (This includes P&A for all the films listed)

Mortal Instruments: $82M WW gross on a $90M budget

Legend of Oz: $8.3M WW gross on an $85M budget

Free Birds: $101.9M WW gross on a $92M budget

21 and Over: $45.9M WW gross on a $35M budget

AMWTDITW: $50.2M WW gross on a $75M budget

Now I know what you're thinking: "But Free Birds and 21 and Over broke even!" It looks like that...however, studios and distributors only get half of the money earned in the box office. So, if you do the math:

Money Lost for:Beatiful Creatures: $55.6M

Mortal Instruments: $49M

Legend of Oz: $80.9M

Free Birds: $41M

21 and Over: $12.1M

A Million Ways to Die in the West: $49.9M

So, yeah, a lot of money can be lost for the studio, even if it isn't $180M budget.

$178M budget, let alone marketing, and it opened to $29M (at best). Of course it tanked.

Original or not, it's true, Godzilla had its third >50% drop in a row.

I agree TFIOS will have a huge drop, but I can't see EoT dropping less than 50%, no matter how good the film is. This genre of movies always fall more than 50%.

I made the names based on their box-office performance. The movie may be shit (dunno, I haven't seen it), but dropping only 51% is impressive since most high-profile films this summer dropped by more than 60%. It is also a smaller drop than SWATH (-59%). With the competition it had, it is admittedly an impressive hold.

Talk again after EOT gets a 4x multiplier

Is it true that E of T really has a production budget of 170 million?  If that is true, this looks like another case of Hollywod going way overboard with the budget and visual effects, instead of simply trying to make this movie with about a 100 million dollar budget.  Same kind of thing that is now happening with Johnny Depp and others, and probably Jupiter Ascending.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=allyouneediskill.htm

DAT FROZEN EFFECT! (For Disney Princess films)  :lol:

I'll wake you up when Think Like a Man Too, Transformers, Apes, and GOTG come out.

I couldn't care less about TLAMT. The rest of the Summer is just epic boring.