Olive

Weekend #'s FIOS: 48.2, EOT: 29.1

I don't think a couple of weeks of good promotion is enough when you're trying to sell people on a tent pole film with an $180m budget.  The buzz should have been building for months as it did with Godzilla, Maleficent or any of the comic book movies. Heck, Neighbors had greater earlier awareness.  Even in the last couple of weeks WB didn't do enough to highlight what was unique or great about it.  

I think legs for recent openers show more of  reaction toward those specific films than genre weariness. Two of those movies had mixed WOM and the other comes from a series with notoriously short legs.

• Like 2

It's not about 'girl-power', even with the substantial success of Gravity, The Hunger Games or Maleficent or Alice or whatever the female perspective is still definitely nowhere near where it should be in film at least as far as big movies are concerned. I don't think it justifies supporting one movie over the other just because but I definitely get a kick out of a movie like Maleficent doing well.

• Like 5

I think WB did a solid job marketing EoT in the final weeks. The first trailers were iffy, but they corrected that when it mattered.

The problem is that it opened immediately after four other big action movies earned ~$200m or more each within the last two months. Audiences aren't in the mood for action movies anymore--as evidenced by the fact that one of those movies isn't legging out very well despite strong WOM (X-Men).

That, plus Cruise's declining drawing power ( :()and a very generic title.

I wish they had gone with 'Live. Die. Repeat.'

The line became pretty famous anyway.

I think WB did a solid job marketing EoT in the final weeks. The first trailers were iffy, but they corrected that when it mattered.

The problem is that it opened immediately after four other big action movies earned ~$200m or more each within the last two months. Audiences aren't in the mood for action movies anymore--as evidenced by the fact that one of those movies isn't legging out very well despite strong WOM (X-Men).

That, plus Cruise's declining drawing power ( :()and a very generic title.

yep that is one of the main reasons the release date is shit. Too many other  choices. Also, the World Cup overseas is going to hurt it

• Like 1

It's not about 'girl-power', even with the substantial success of Gravity, The Hunger Games or Maleficent or Alice or whatever the female perspective is still definitely nowhere near where it should be in film at least as far as big movies are concerned. I don't think it justifies supporting one movie over the other just because but I definitely get a kick out of a movie like Maleficent doing well.

Edge Of Tomorrow is actually the most "girl power" movie compared to Maleficent all things considered. Blunt's character isn't some poor thing victimized by men that defines her traits and destiny, she just owns and exists on her own prerogative as a hardass soldier not waiting for anybody to fulfill her (no "I'm like what I am because I'm a former innocent poor thing mistreated by a man that broke my heart, victim of circonstances"), a woman of action that teaches Cruise as a mentor then as an equal together.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 6

Edge Of Tomorrow is actually the most "girl power" movie compared to Maleficent all things considered. Blunt's character isn't some poor thing victimized by men that defines her trait and destiny, she just owns and exists on her own prerogative (no "I'm like I am what because I'm a former innocent poor thing mistreated by a man that broke my heart, victim of circonstances") and teaches Cruise as a mentor.

This x100.

Edge Of Tomorrow is actually the most "girl power" movie compared to Maleficent all things considered. Blunt's character isn't some poor thing victimized by men that defines her trait and destiny, she just owns and exists on her own prerogative (no "I'm like I am what because I'm a former innocent poor thing mistreated by a man that broke my heart, victim of circonstances") and teaches Cruise as a mentor.

Maleficent doesn't allow her victimization to define her, it's kind of the whole point of the movie.

• Like 3

Edge Of Tomorrow is actually the most "girl power" movie compared to Maleficent all things considered. Blunt's character isn't some poor thing victimized by men that defines her trait and destiny, she just owns and exists on her own prerogative (no "I'm like I am what because I'm a former innocent poor thing mistreated by a man that broke my heart, victim of circonstances") and teaches Cruise as a mentor.

even beyond Blunt, the movie depicts women fighting side by side with men as equals, if anything it's one of the more feminist movies i've seen.

Maleficent doesn't allow her victimization to define her, it's kind of the whole point of the movie.

......Umm what? Everything Maleficent does in the movie is because of the 

date-rape allegory.

• Like 1

I want EOT to be successful because Doug Liman is the one who had the vision to make this movie and entertain us and want to keep this going.  He helped the Bourne series which I loved.  And is doing Splinter Cell movie.  He sees people not flocking to this movie, he would feel let down.  Unless he has thick skin and don't care.

• Like 1

Everything up until the Christening is due to Stefan's actions, we are not even meant to excuse or support her actions there btw. Maleficent is at least partly about a women who learns to rise above the bad things that happen to her and become a better person in the process. She even

refuses to kill Stefan in the end.

Everything up until the Christening is due to Stefan's actions, we are not even meant to excuse or support her actions there btw. Maleficent is at least partly about a women who learns to rise above the bad things that happen to her and become a better person in the process. She even

refuses to kill Stefan in the end.

Which was dumb because Maleficent in this film is a anti-hero at worst.