Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

53M isn't bad for Dragon 2...I don't see what's the fuss about...

The problem is that even with a 4x multiplier, 54-55m only gets it to match the original. Expectation was a hell of a lot higher than that.
  • Like 4

I dont see how that 53m OW for Dragon 2 is great ? Thats just 10m more than the first one did OW. (So now it is "at least it increased" ?) As one of the most beloved animations in the past decades, both DWA and the observers of course expected much more than that from the highly anticipated sequel.

it's not good. Since it is a movie a lot of people here like though people will be easier on it and say things like "Oh it's still a good opening" or "it's still a lot of money" like they did for STID last year. It this was a Pirates, Amazing Spider-Man, Or Transformers movie underwhelming everyone would be constantly laughing and  making fun of its performance

• Like 2

it's not good. Since it is a movie a lot of people here like though people will be easier on it and say things like "Oh it's still a good opening" or "it's still a lot of money" like they did for STID last year. It this was a Pirates, Amazing Spider-Man, Or Transformers movie underwhelming everyone would be constantly laughing and  making fun of its performance

The difference with Pirates and TASM is also in the fact their predecessors did really well. Dragon 2 is following a $218M. That's a bit of a difference. And, if TF4 under performs and does say $250M, let's not forget it is coming off a $350M third film.

• Like 1

I regret getting caught up in the Dragon hype and putting it so high in the summer game. No one I know references the original and it just didn't FEEL big like DM or Frozen or past non-Pixar movies like Shrek did. It doesn't have the cultural resonance. Hell, I don't even know one trait or character that has crossed over and made this special. It lacked that special something, and it didn't help that marketing sucked. I just got caught up in hype post DM2/Frozen/Lego. 

It is too intelligent and thought-provoking for a little kids' movie. Probably even moreso than Pixar movies.  It is basically 50% political thriller for adults, and 50% silly animated movie for kids.  I can tell that the filmmaking team hates far-right wing conservatives like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, some of the people on Fox News, etc. and that might turn a small number of people off.  It is bold and daring, unlike most kids movies.

• Like 1