Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

People keep bringing up the 4 year gap. What does that matter here? An extra year for kids to watch it at home? It's not a terrible thing.

I think it can be too long. A lot of sequels which have had a 4 year hap tend to disappoint but that could be just coincidence. A 4 year can be kind if a big deal when the original wasn't huge to begin with. Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

No. 4 years is really pushing it. Waiting too long was a big reason why Star Trek ID decreased DOM. Also that's why the YA film franchises releases a new movie yearly, so the attention from people won't fade. :ph34r:

Your big comparison is Star Trek? Come on now. There was four years between Toy Story 1 and 2. You guys are making too big of a deal out of the 4 year gap here, particularly for a film as well liked as Dragon. You can't call an animated movie's performance on Friday night. Don't you know that by now?
  • Like 5

Only $8m increase from the original is odd, usually sequels are double the budget of the first film. Jonah, Channing, Miller and Lord must be on backend deals to keep the budget similar to the first

Well, it's not like the budgets need to be massive or something. The two movies pretty much are shot entirely at schools and use background actors for students. There are also only TWO lead actors with Hill and Tatum. Ice Cube might get an okay pay for being a supporting actor, but I'm guessing it is still much less than Hill or Tatum.

• Like 2

BO doesn't always work like that. It could get 4+ but this summer has been pretty weak overall and it wouldn't shock me with sub 4 multiplier.

I wouldn't be surprised with a 4x. Most no competition and stellar reviews. That said same could've been applied to Lego and its going to fall shy of that so thinking 3.7-8 is a good target. Edited by WileECoyote
  • Like 2

Your big comparison is Star Trek? Come on now. There was four years between Toy Story 1 and 2. You guys are making too big of a deal out of the 4 year gap here, particularly for a film as well liked as Dragon. You can't call an animated movie's performance on Friday night. Don't you know that by now?

Just 2 animated films released between TS1 and TS2. Between HTTYD1 and HTTYD2 41 animations released wide.

http://boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=computeranimation.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&p=.htm

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

KFP is a good comparison for dailies. It wont increase more than 10% on saturday and probably barely drop on sunday. KFP did < 0.5M in midnights. Dragon 2 with 18M with previews does not guarantee 55M as sphagetti said. But its early yet and it can go up to 20M. 

Overall its disappointing for sure. I am not sure about 250M and it definitely aint hitting 300M. 

• Like 1

I don't think there's nearly enough data to support a 4 year gap being a problem one way or the other. It's especially difficult for animated films.

However, Ice Age 2 was 4 years after the first, it managed to beat it in both OW and total, but not by a huge margin in the latter case. It did more than double the OS gross, however, which is probably a big part of the positive chances for Dragon 2.

The Madagascar films hit on 3.5 year cycles. The third dropped in OW from the second (which was bigger OW, but smaller in total than the first), but had a nice bump in total.

MIB2 came 5 years after the first, had a slightly bigger OW, but dropped a fair bit in total. It also wasn't very good.

Mission Impossible 2 came 4 years after the first. It beat it in both OW and DOM total, despite iffy audience response.

Toy Story 2 came 4 years after the first. It beat it handily in both OW and total.

Star Trek's been mentioned.

So there aren't a ton of comparable data points to build a pattern. Sometimes 4 year gaps are bad. Sometimes they don't matter.

• Like 4

I wouldn't be surprised with a 4x. Most no competition and stellar reviews. That said same could've been applied to Lego and its going to fall shy of that so thinking 3.7-8 is a good target.

4th of July weekend will really help HTTYD 2, it'll be the only family film around then. You might respond back with Earth to Echo, but that's only tracking for a $10M OW, and I think that even that might be too high.

• Like 2

And it's been two whole months since the last animated movie. Let's wait until we hear about tomorrow's number before we get all gloomy about this opening.

not gloomy. in fact this was my previous post

About 60m for HTTYD2 is a very good result. It could have long legs. Have mentioned it before but I think that Alice in Wonderland and HTTYD1 came just as Avatar was slowing down and the post Avatar 3D surge helped both those movies to an extent. So after a 4 year gap, despite 5.0 multiplier of HTTYD1 one I expected this one to have a good bump in ow over the previous one but not an extremely high bump (75m+). It has the entire summer to play out as the only major animated movie with good reception (users on RT 92%, same as critics).

but i can hold those 2 thoughts at the same time in my head, that it's a good ow, and i think 4 year gaps are a bit much considering how many animations release yearly now days.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1