Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Oh man I just ran across RIPD. Life's too valuable for me to continue on

That's kinda what I've been thinking lately. Why should I waste my time on shitty movies? There's always something better to watch out there.
  • Like 1

I think the fact that Lego Movie and Maleficent where able to pull down $69 mil, make the fact that HTTD 2 couldn't get close to that a disappointment, I feel like HTTD2 needs 4 - 5x multiplier to save face, I feel 22JS is doing just fine.

• Like 3

Wow, that's just terrible for HTTYD2 .... people were expecting it to cross 100m OW just months ago. Now it's just similar to the first one.

DWA has officially flopped now. Flops after flops. Now even the most anticipated sequel of their best work in history underperformed.

FLOP? lol The only flop here is your post.

• Like 4

Because the original was universally beloved and had fantastic legs.Dreamworks just keeps dropping the ball over and over. And trading Paramount for FOX where they now have to fight for good release dates with Blue Sky isn't helping. They're playing second fiddle to Pixar and Disney again. Hell, Illumination is in a better place right now.

Most of the studios with animation arms are doing good, only DWA seems to be misfiring. They need to reconsider both their 3 films a year strategy and spending so much on each film and expect them to be similar hits to the past.

HTTYD ll opened below people expectations but that does not mean it's a flop. Call it an underperformance once we know the total. I'm hoping it holds well in the weeks to come. Any international numbers?

• Like 3

i don't think that's it. i can tell you that i've pretty much never seen HTTYD on my tumblr, in comparison to movies like Frozen, Tangled, DM, and even Wreck-It Ralph. despite being an awesome movie for some reason it didn't manage to maintain people's attention afterwards. if i had to guess, it's because the characters aren't that compelling, most of them being two-dimensional, and Hiccup's lack of charisma being pretty much a plot point.

I have to concur. Like I said before, many films can become big hits with great word of mouth and still be pretty much a phenomenon of its moment that doesn't transcend. I mean, think of tons of films that were beloved by audiences during their release and whose sequels still flopped. Not all films that become hits need sequels. I think it all comes down to the characters' ability to make audiences want to see them again. It's like when you meet somebody who you like and have a great time with, but who you don't necessarily want to hang out with again. It happens. Edited by cochofles
  • Like 2

Mal spoiled HTTYD OW ? The Frozen effect.

My theory is that people watched Frozen so many times and it made them despise animations so that's why they didn't watch Dragon. Yes, that's right, blame Frozen.

What do you expect here Sir?

as you know good sir no matter what it opens to in North America it will probably end up getting close to a4xr. So that means it will probably finish north of 200 million dollars. I personally expected it to finish close to 300 but not over it. And the other thing is North America is but one market. Let's wait and see how well it does worldwide. The first movie was well-liked I'm sure this movie will be just fine. But claiming something to be a failure after initial Friday numbers is really just silly and most of us to have been tracking numbers four years know this by now.