MovieGuyKyle17

Early Wed Numbers: Tammy 6.18 (incl 1.3 previews), Trans4 7.7, DUFE: 2.8 ETE 2.6...pg 21

From Deadline:

3rd UPDATE, Monday, 1:08 PM: Based on matinee numbers so far, Tammy looks right now like it may gross $7M to $8M today (which would include late shows) on track for a $33M to $36M July Fourth holiday weekend. It will need strong word-of-mouth to push it higher, but as it looks now it’s gotten lukewarm reception, it maybe will take in $26M or lower for the 3-day weekend number. Deliver Us From Evil and Earth to Echo are on track to unearth anywhere from $3.5M to $4M for Echo and $3M to $3.5M for Evil for Wednesday. It’s still way early but right now the two pictures are tracking closely — with Echo pulling in maybe in the low-to-mid teens ($15m to $17M) with Evil maybe low teens for the holiday (maybe $12M to $15M). That’s how it looks now, but there are so many factors that will be influencing these numbers. Most of the Evil crowd will start coming in tonight. We are also watching the weather on the East Coast. Earth to Echo, which Relativity picked up after Disney said nah, may do a little better over the weekend given that there is no new family fare. But none of these pictures are getting good reception from critics and none are doing bang-up business. It’s blah like the weather on the East Coast.
  • Like 1

This can be the Wednesday thread, then we'll have a normal Thursday thread, and then Friday/Fourth/Weekend thread (where we can talk about the 5-day numbers if need be).

I meant more that someone started up a separate Wednesday thread.

• Like 1

Another hit for the queen of comedy, Melissa McCarthy.

I don't know why she has so many haters, but in the last 18 months she has opened three out of three movies to numbers that most other A-listers can only dream of.  

• Like 2

in case you were wondering which movie to see this week...

rottentomatoes:

Tammy - 21%

America - 25%

Deliver Us From Evil - 34%

Earth To Echo - 53%

Might as well go see Transformers instead. At least you get Dinobots.

• Like 1

so I guess they are saying that Tammy should make in the mid 30's for the 5 day and about 26 for the three day? Is that how its supposed to read

• Like 2

so I guess they are saying that Tammy should make in the mid 30's for the 5 day and about 26 for the three day? Is that how its supposed to read

Yeah, that is what they are predicting based off these #s. 

• Like 1

If they're going with 26 for the 3day and 36 for the 5day, it'll earn either 2 or 3m on Thursday, based off the 7-8m Wednesday estimate they're touting.

If they're going with 33 for the 5-day, that means Thursday will either be at 0 or will somehow cause it to lose a million.

Fantastic math, Deadline. Just fucking fantastic.

• Like 5

in case you were wondering which movie to see this week...rottentomatoes:Tammy - 21%America - 25%Deliver Us From Evil - 34%Earth To Echo - 53%Might as well go see Transformers instead. At least you get Dinobots.

Awesome. Even though I am not an advocate of RT, it feels like Hollywood isn't even trying this summer, and audiences are following suit. I think Apes will open to around 75 and leg it to around 220, but the very crowded August means that GOTG, TMNT and others will have much smaller legs. 16 wide releases in 4 weeks in August.
  • Like 1

16 wide releases in 4 weeks in August.

They always crowd August up every single year. 2009 showed that with the right movies it is possible for there to be hits in the month (despite the idiocy of putting two horror sequels on the same weekend). But the month is mostly treated as a dumping ground 90% of the time. I mean, just look at the movies opening in the second half.

They always crowd August up every single year. 2009 showed that with the right movies it is possible for there to be hits in the month (despite the idiocy of putting two horror sequels on the same weekend). But the month is mostly treated as a dumping ground 90% of the time. I mean, just look at the movies opening in the second half.

The thing this year is that most movies are targeting the same demo. GOTG, TMNT, Into the storm, let's be cops, Expendables 3. And that is just the first 15 days.
  • Like 1