Ash Skywalker

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials | In theaters

Can't be as optimistic as above, but:

Weekend: 42m (chance at the Sept. record)

Domestic: 120m

International: 280m

Worldwide: 400m

You really believe the sequel will barely increase overseas over TMR? Even Insurgent increased over Divergent, and that movie wasn't as well received as TMR. Edited by Queen Shar

You really believe the sequel will barely increase overseas over TMR? Even Insurgent increased over Divergent, and that movie wasn't as well received as TMR.

6.8 on imdb for both. Maze Runner has better critical reception, but that doesn't matter at the box office. I think MR2 could increase DOM, but i'm not sure about OS, where MR was already big.

You really believe the sequel will barely increase overseas over TMR? Even Insurgent increased over Divergent, and that movie wasn't as well received as TMR.

I gave it a 20% increase across the board. I think that's doable. Anything more is gravy. While TMR was better received by critics than Divergent, there is little difference in audience reaction between the two films, although I will say I think younger audiences liked TMR better. I think what it does have going for it is a better demo mix than Divergent. It's not like this film needs to make a lot of money for it to be profitable. Hell, I'll love to see this do 70/200 and be a breakout hit of the fall, but even 50/150/500 is optimistic in my view. I'll stick with 42/120/400 for now. I certainly won't feel bad if I'm wrong though.

Edited by Knoxcore
  • Like 1

Even Insurgent increased over Divergent, and that movie wasn't as well received as TMR.

It did by 7M WW despite 3D bumps.

A 2% increase in WW box office (and a near 15% decrease in DOM) is hardly worth mentioning. What is worth mentioning is that TMR achieved $340m without 3D, while both Divergent and Insurgent was unable to crack $300m with 3D. I think that's a very good sign for The Scorch Trials WW box office prospects and why I think $400m is achievable.

Edited by Knoxcore

Holy shit this was actually awesome. Much better and more enjoyable than first film, very Empire Strikes Back but still feels fresh. Can't wait to see where they go next.

Now please open RTM - Kelli, CJohn, anyone? Need somewhere for thoughts lol

P.S. also official request to change the title to The Scorch Trials

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 3

Fiiiine, since no one will open RTM....Extended thoughts/review.

Much more enjoyable and better than the first. Bigger scale, awesome worldbuilding, surprisingly strong and satisfying story too. Only sorta complaint is that the first act was breakneck-fast but the pace smoothed out eventually. Cast was great in their roles, MVPs were Esposito and Salazar, CIA (Gillen) was really awesome but a tad underused. The Empire Strikes Back approach feels much fresher here, especially keeping first instalment in mind. Can't really say much more without spoilers. Score was great, CoD: Zombies - Cranks Edition NEEDS to happen, and can't wait for the (un-split) finale!

8.5/10
  • Like 1

Addendum - haven’t read the books, and not intending to to keep film experience fresh. From what I understand Wes changed a lot to make this a superior movie and that’s fantastic. The whole thing reminds me of the whole MJ1 situation - Francis would’ve achieved what Wes did here if MJ was one film. Faithfulness be damned. TST pretty much proves that.