CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

Apes $29.9M

Purge $27.2M

Planes $24.1M

Sex $23.7M

Under 30M for Apes?  :unsure:

EDIT: I just saw the Thursday number. Horrible.

Edited by #ED
  • Like 1

Apes $29.9M

Purge $27.2M

Planes $24.1M

Sex $23.7M

I don't think Sex Tape will get that high.  Probably only about 20 or so.  3 terrible comedies this summer have opened poorly on OW (Blended, Million Ways, Tammy).

• Like 1

Under 30M for Apes?  :unsure:

EDIT: I just saw the Thursday number. Horrible.

I honestly don't think it will be under $30M. BUT, it will likely need at least a 60% increase today to avoid it. What's the likely increase for July release from Thursday to Friday on a second Friday?

• Like 1

I don't think Sex Tape will get that high.  Probably only about 20 or so.  3 terrible comedies this summer have opened poorly on OW (Blended, Million Ways, Tammy).

Comedies have opened poorly. But, I feel like Diaz opened well enough with that flick with her a couple other girls. I could see women trusting her enough that they run out to see it.

• Like 1

Someone asked about you. I knew you'd be back for Sex Tape. Right on cue.

• Like 2

LOL I can't believe that this is looking to come reasonably close to the first movie despite that film's terrible reception. I got dragged to it last year and almost emerged from the theater 85 minutes later as a human vegetable from enduring so much idiocy.

They made the 2nd film what the first should have been, i.e. sticking with the purge concept through the whole movie and not just slapping a typical home invasion horror film over the backdrop of the purge. The marketing showed that, so people will give it another chance.

• Like 1

I've voiced it before, but I actually believe both Hercules and, especially, Lucy will hurt Dawn next weekend. I expect another 50%+ drop for it because the adolescent(Hercules) and adult(Lucy) action demos being catered to.

• Like 1

I've voiced it before, but I actually believe both Hercules and, especially, Lucy will hurt Dawn next weekend. I expect another 50%+ drop for it because the adolescent(Hercules) and adult(Lucy) action demos being catered to.

Umm... adolescents are not interested in Hercules. 

• Like 1

I just can't get past that lowest common denominator premise. I know it's a fantasy film, but the misinterpretation of the 10% thing is just something that bugs the heck out of me.

• Like 3

Not exaggerating, if the Purge sequel opens above 25 (as it looks like it will) it's one of the biggest surprises of the summer for me.  Among my group of friends, the first was universally hated.  Now add in an even lesser known casts and this thing almost opens on par with the first!?!?

I give up on this summer.

• Like 2

I just can't get past that lowest common denominator premise. I know it's a fantasy film, but the misinterpretation of the 10% thing is just something that bugs the heck out of me.

And yet getting powers by being bitten by a radioactive spider works just fine for you?

• Like 2

Well, that's the audience it appears to be marketing to. That's the audience the Rock sells best with. Not sure it will hit big. But, It will take some eyeballs from Apes. As will Lucy...

... I'm pretty sure Hercules isn't marketing to kids. 0.o
  • Like 1

Shockingly good preview numbers for The Purge 2. The first was hated by most everyone who watched it, had bad legs even for a horror movie (it made more than 25% of its gross on day 1), and had no one recognizable in the cast this time. I guess there is an inherent appeal in the concept itself, because there is no logical reason why it should be doing better than a lot of the straight up horror movies this year.

• Like 2