CJohn

Weekend Estimates: The Purge 28.3M | Apes 36M | Sex Tape 15M | Planes 18M | Godzilla 470k +91% 198.9m!!! | More Numbers on Page 1

It's probably a bad comparision, but Monsters University earned $2.6 million from midnight shows in June, and came to an $82 million OW. Based on Planes: Fire & Rescue's $450,000 midnight numbers, and using MU's legs, it may only earn $14 million this weekend.Though it'll probably stretch further this weekend, I don't see it topping $20 million at all.

• Like 1

It's probably a bad comparision, but Monsters University earned $2.6 million from midnight shows in June, and came to an $82 million OW. Based on Planes: Fire & Rescue's $450,000 midnight numbers, and using MU's legs, it may only earn $14 million this weekend.Though it'll probably stretch further this weekend, I don't see it topping $20 million at all.

Pixar appeal to adults as well as children.  Planes 2 is pretty directed at very young children - not the ideal group to be going to late night or even evening showings.  It will probably do the bulk of it's business during the matinees.

• Like 2

Comparing with HTTYD2 comes up even worse, 2.0m/49.5m => 0.45m/11.1m

It won't do that bad but yeah, over-20m is not a lock.

• Like 1

Monsters University had a much larger audience outside of its primary audience, whereas planes is almost entirely a childrebs film. I actually thought it'd be more like 200k midnight $20M OW
  • Like 1

I'm guessing after this Planes will probably hit the direct to video route for any future installments

The first one made to be direct to video then they just decided to release it in theaters and then it made money...  Unless the second doesn't turn any theatrical profit I think Disney will continue to use the theatrical window as advertising for the later video.

• Like 1

How much would Planes have to flop to the point where a DTV release would've been preferable?I'm guessing there will be a theatrical Planes 3 just as long as they double their marketing expenses.

I think it costed 50M. And it is pretty much locked to do 200M WW at least. 

• Like 2

Monsters University had a much larger audience outside of its primary audience, whereas planes is almost entirely a childrebs film. I actually thought it'd be more like 200k midnight $20M OW

Still, when you're using HTTYD2 comparisons and it only adds up to $11M, I think it's safe to say that P:F&R will earn about $16-18 million at the most.
  • Like 1