13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

"Fuck YOU, that's my name!"

One of my absolute favorites. Everyone is amazing in this, Pacino and Baldwin are obvious, but Jack Lemmon is utterly heartbreaking giving, in my opinion, the best performance of the lot, and the more understated guys like Alan Arkin and Jonathan Pryce are also invaluable if easy to overlook. The atmosphere of a never-sleeping, depression-filled city surrounding these people is beautifully conveyed in just a few touches (the lights, the constant rain, the noise of the night train, the overwhelmingly dark/gray visual palette) and makes the film cinematic enough and not just a piece of filmed theater.

It's strange that James Foley seemingly never even came close to making another movie this good. True, you can't really go wrong with this script and these actors, but Foley made not merely a good, but the best possible film out of this.

• Like 6

The brilliant acting more than makes up for a few weaknesses in the script here and there, and Alec Baldwin's cameo (which was not in the original play) is among the best one-scene wonders ever. Truthfully, I'd much rather teach this than Death of a Salesman, even though the f-bombs would never fly in a school.  ;)

A-

I only knew of this movie thanks to the infamous Alec Baldwin scene, but decided to watch it on a whim (and because Netflix removed Edward Scissorhands). It's pretty fun, mostly due to winning performances by the entire cast. The real standout is Jack Lemmon, but that might be because I've only seen him before in Some Like It Hot, but Spacey, Harris, and Pacino are all great too. The issue is it feels a bit too much like a play. More of an adaptation process would've been fun. I'd also like to see a more creative director take on the source material, but as it is, it's still a highly enjoyable watch. B

On 2014-07-20 01:02:07, Jake Gittes said:

"Fuck YOU, that's my name!"

One of my absolute favorites. Everyone is amazing in this, Pacino and Baldwin are obvious, but Jack Lemmon is utterly heartbreaking giving, in my opinion, the best performance of the lot, and the more understated guys like Alan Arkin and Jonathan Pryce are also invaluable if easy to overlook. The atmosphere of a never-sleeping, depression-filled city surrounding these people is beautifully conveyed in just a few touches (the lights, the constant rain, the noise of the night train, the overwhelmingly dark/gray visual palette) and makes the film cinematic enough and not just a piece of filmed theater.

It's strange that James Foley seemingly never even came close to making another movie this good. True, you can't really go wrong with this script and these actors, but Foley made not merely a good, but the best possible film out of this.

I agree with you about Lemmon giving the best performance of the bunch. That scene where he knows he's fucked and Pacino just keeps talking is a masterclass in acting.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:47 AM, TMP said:

So fucking good. Did Bryan Cranston base his Walter White performance on Jack Lemmon in this? Mannerisms and diction felt similar.

Wonderful movie, great performances all around.

But Alec Baldwin rant is the one people remember.

"It takes BALLS to sell Real Estate"...

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2015 at 8:45 PM, Blankments said:

I only knew of this movie thanks to the infamous Alec Baldwin scene, but decided to watch it on a whim (and because Netflix removed Edward Scissorhands). It's pretty fun, mostly due to winning performances by the entire cast. The real standout is Jack Lemmon, but that might be because I've only seen him before in Some Like It Hot, but Spacey, Harris, and Pacino are all great too. The issue is it feels a bit too much like a play. More of an adaptation process would've been fun. I'd also like to see a more creative director take on the source material, but as it is, it's still a highly enjoyable watch. B

I disagree, I think they were right in not expanding it from the play,(except for adding Baldwin's rant )in not moving it out of the real estate companies offices. Would have ruined the mood.