CJohn

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil | October 18 2019 | Now on Disney+

I'm one of the people who GET the live action remakes and is just fine with them.

This, however, feels like too much. Maybe they really are just making this as an example of filler content for Disney+ and figure it will do well enough to be worth releasing it theatrically first.

3 minutes ago, InVy said:

now I understand why it's for Autumn, it would look so strange in Spring.

Strange or bad? Since it doesn't look any less conventional than the last Maleficent or the two Alice in Wonderland live action films, all of which were released in March to May (where this was originally scheduled for in 2020)

I laughed when the title came up. Looks ok I guess. I did watch the first movie in theaters expecting to hate it and ended up actually liking it. It’s just strange to me why they’re making a sequel at all and doing it so many years later. 

Edited by Deja23

Just now, boyamama said:

jolie wardrobe looks too sexy even for PG-13...maleficent rated-R is coming..................

Joaquer v Maleficent: Dawn of R Rated Children's Characters

5 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Oh, man, I'm gonna end up going all Tele on this by October, aren't I?

5 hours ago, MrGamer said:

angry clint eastwood GIF

I get the feeling that this is gonna be like marmite.  Lots of people hate it, but those that love it, LOVE it.

===

Personally, it looked fine.  Didn't see anything terrible or bad or bomb worthy in it.  Kinda looks like fun, actually.  Trailer music was a little off, but that's just personal taste, really.

Not my cup of tea. But I absolutely can see why some are gonna go bonkers for it.  It's just deliciously and unapologetically 'out there' and there are some folks who will love it for that.

Hope it finds its audience and that the audience that finds it, likes it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Lots of people hate it, but those that love it, LOVE it.

It's MICHELLE PFEIFFER and ANGELINA JOLIE sassing each other for two hours in a high fantasy, camp setting.  

uh huh yes GIF

I agree the music choice isn't as glorious as Lana Del Ray's Once Upon A Dream.  But I'm here for all the feminine energy bursting from the screen.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Didn't see anything terrible or bad or bomb worthy in it

I'm using the Alice --> Alice 2 model as a baseline for why I think this will bomb; not because of my subjective views on it. We'll see how badly the 5 year wait affects Godzilla, but I feel like it'll impact Maleficent 2 really hard.

Just now, TMP said:

I'm using the Alice --> Alice 2 model as a baseline for why I think this will bomb; not because of my subjective views on it. We'll see how badly the 5 year wait affects Godzilla, but I feel like it'll impact Maleficent 2 really hard.

It's less of a 5 year wait and more of a 2 year wait because of Skull Island.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

It's less of a 5 year wait and more of a 2 year wait because of Skull Island.

Maybe, even then I'm unsure of how well publicized Kong being in the same universe was to general audiences. Nothing in the marketing indicated so.

I wonder if the surplus of Disney animated adaptations out this year will hurt this too.

Just now, TMP said:

Maybe, even then I'm unsure of how well publicized Kong being in the same universe was to general audiences. Nothing in the marketing indicated so.

I wonder if the surplus of Disney animated adaptations out this year will hurt this too.

The post-credit scene got really popular online and spread around. Not sure how much that correlates to irl though.

10 minutes ago, TMP said:

Counterpoint: Alice 2 looked like crap, and this doesn't.

Second counterpoint: Alice's box office depended heavily on 3D, and as far as I know, Maleficent didn't.

*checks*

3D was 35% of the sales for its OW - it won't repeat that, but that ain't close to the 70% 3D of AiW's OW.

The years long gap ain't great, no.  But I suspect some on this board don't realize there is in fact a decent sized group out there stanning for this film.  How large that group is, and how much the rest of the GA cares remains to be seen.

But this doesn't look remotely as cringe worthy as Alice 2 did.  At least IMO.

• Like 1

We'll see how later trailers sell the film (I'm guessing Maleficent turning into the dragon is probably a given), but the story looks like it's going to be remarkably similar to the first one, down to giving a ruler who is very bad to make the titular character more sympathetic. That's a bad foundation for most sequels, and while I don't think it'll implode like Alice 2, seeing its gross halved to $120M feels reasonable.

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Counterpoint: Alice 2 looked like crap, and this doesn't.

Again, subjective.

Alice 2 looked like it was more of the same in that series, and Maleficent 2 seems to be following suit in that regard. I'd also argue that AiW had a much larger fan-base than Maleficent ever did, and that didn't seem to help the sequel at all. An issue with the big years gap is that a big portion of the audience might have "out grown" the appeal, a la what we saw with Dragon 2. Another problem is that the cultural impact of the first Maleficent doesn't seem significant enough to justify that gap, and a big reason the first film did so well was due to its connection to the original Sleeping Beauty animated film, a card which this film wouldn't really be able to employ anymore since it's a sequel.