CJohn

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil | October 18 2019 | Now on Disney+

This film was a hit because the elements were perfectly aligned...beloved property, great special effects, brand recognition, and the absolutely perfect combo of star-character. Audiences did love the film, whether or not its detractors want to admit it or not. However, a sequel seems unnecessary. The only Jolie sequel that truly has room to move the characters and the story forward, and answer some questions is SALT 2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I have a feeling that this is another Alice 2.

Alice had some key element of a special case that should happen less to Alice 2

) Longer time, if Maleficiant 2 is released in 2019 or before, that would be 5 year's or less since the first in 2014, Alice 2 had a 6 year's window

) Alice 1 overperformed by the peak of 3D popularity big time, the movie was the second biggest at the domestic box office for example, but on home video those 2010 video sold more:

According to the numbers, was number 9 of that year release on US home vide sales:

Toy story 3: 248m

Tangled: 231m

Despicable me: 210m

Twilight eclipse: 210m

How to train your dragon: 195m

Iron man 2: 177m

Inception: 161m

Potter: 154m

Alice: 118m

2014 release home video performance

Guardian: 144m

Lego: 130m

Big hero 6: 99m

Ninga turtle: 99m

Maleficiant: 80.17m

Look like it is in the top 5, for a movie that was number 8 domestic, excellent.

Alice in Wonderland

imdb: 6.5/10

RTaudience score

55% liked it

Average Rating: 3.5/5

User Ratings: 479,941

Maleficiant

imdb: 7/10

RT audience score

70% liked it

Average Rating: 3.8/5

User Ratings: 175,367

Legs were also a bit better on Maleficiant but started with a much lower OW, making the comparison not really telling. It should drop quite a bit, but I would not expect anything close to the spectacular 70% drop of Alice 2.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I have a feeling that this is another Alice 2.

Seems like Disney has not learnt anything. Fairy tale films are not action, sci-fi  or comic book films where you keep making sequels. The happily ever after endings are there for a reason and the general audience won't be tricked into watching a film that should not exist. This better have a good release date with no competition around it.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hades said:

Seems like Disney has not learnt anything. Fairy tale films are not action, sci-fi  or comic book films where you keep making sequels. The happily ever after endings are there for a reason and the general audience won't be tricked into watching a film that should not exist. This better have a good release date with no competition around it.  

AiW2 tanked because the first one wasn't well received. People actually liked Maleficent, so they're more likely to go out of their way for a sequel.

This is why Disney makes money. Their films typically win the hearts of their viewers.

1 hour ago, NoobSaibot said:

AiW2 tanked because the first one wasn't well received. People actually liked Maleficent, so they're more likely to go out of their way for a sequel.

This is why Disney makes money. Their films typically win the hearts of their viewers.

Maleficent didn't make anywhere close to Alice 1 numbers though. And I don't see the goodwill being so strong that it could give this movie a boost, or even retain 100% attendance. 

Unless the strategy is to break from the norm when it comes to the release schedule and drop it in a relatively uncrowded October or something.

8 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

:wintf:   Ok then, 400 mil domestic, I billion worldwide coming right up for this film. Disney should also green-light a Cinderella sequel, that is also sure to increase :redcapes:

5 hours ago, Hades said:

:wintf:   Ok then, 400 mil domestic, I billion worldwide coming right up for this film. Disney should also green-light a Cinderella sequel, that is also sure to increase :redcapes:

12 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

And I don't see the goodwill being so strong that it could give this movie a boost, or even retain 100% attendance

Why anyone would suggest not a good drop (say 20-30% drop or so) ?

Maleficent was a 750m monster, there is a lot of room here, what is suggested is that it should not drop by 70+% like Alice 2 did, not that it has a good chance to go in the short list of sequel that did more than the first very successful movie.

Edited by Barnack

15 hours ago, Hades said:

I never said it would make $1 billion. I merely implied that a sequel to Maleficent stands a better chance at being successful than AiW2 ever was.