153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Well, Sony killed Spidey, so I suppose he's not :(

Then again, if Sony aimed to make a separate Spider-Man that was allegedly more faithful to the character as fans insist, then perhaps the problem was with the source material.

Of course, the MCU doesn't directly adapt 100% from book to screen as Iron Man 3 can attest to.

Then again, if Sony aimed to make a separate Spider-Man that was allegedly more faithful to the character as fans insist, then perhaps the problem was with the source material.

Of course, the MCU doesn't directly adapt 100% from book to screen as Iron Man 3 can attest to.

I would say the TASM series was equally more faithful and less faithful. I liked TASM2. But where Sony is headed means only one thing. No more Spider-Man. They're doing a modern Marvel Comics. They're killing him so they can resurrect him later. They just don't know it yet(and hopefully Marvel will get the rights back before they attempt another resurrection---and hopefully Marvel Studios doesn't go the way of the comic counterpart in the meantime). ;)

• Like 1

Loved it. Easy A for me and right up there with IM1, TA and TWS. I was sold the moment he started dancing and singing in the early scene. Pratt was perfect in the role as were pretty much every one else. Rocket and Groot were great together. Also, I was pleasantly surprised by how good Bautista was as Drax. He was quite funny. Loved the overall look of the film. The visuals were awesome. The only small negative I have is the villains. I was hoping for a little more of them. Hopefully we'll get a little more of Nebula in the sequel.

• Like 1

My feelings on the dance-off are of elation.  It's a really silly moment and I love silly moments.  

But, dancing was something that was mentioned more than a few times in the movie.  You might even say it was a recurring theme.  

-He danced during the opening credits.

-His talk with Gamora about dancing that led to the discussion of Footloose and how Kevin Bacon defeated the people with sticks up their butts by dancing.

-Then he defeated Ronan (who had a serious stick up his butt) by dancing and distracting him.

It's not like it was a completely random dance scene.  It was awesome and silly and I loved it.

• Like 11

Man that soundtrack was just bliss , esp the way they used it in the film! WIN

when i love a movie and really enjoy it i tend to talk back at the film and not care much if anyone hears me 

the references were just too much "kevin bacon" :rofl: & to whomever said this reminded them of farscape yes yes so much  WIN!

this movie is the defnition of FUN! like the cool party people talked about days after!

as for our guardians loved them, i esp loved how they gelled organically as the film unfolded, a most ecclectic grouping of people put together that didnt set out in that optic

GAMORA she's awesome tots kicked ass and give one of my fav quotes "i'm surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy"

STARLORD chris pratt did a really cool job with it, he's def a fresh breeze in the marvel world, still not tony stark but i could totally see them having a pissing match then hugging it out and becoming bff , of course hulk might get jealous but he can hang out with

GROOT who knew 3 words could make a character so expressive and complex ! when he smiled i smiled , when he dance i was dancing in my seat !

DRAX  i won't lie i was dubious about the wrestler but he is indeed a wonderful surprise !

RACOON ROCKET what a mouth on him  :P

i'm just going to react to some reviews i'm reading

-did not even think about josh brolin , Thanos was just thanos to me ! but his scenes were cool , lee pace character RONAN went from dude i need your help  to when i'm done with these puny peeps i'm coming for you, i was like yo dude you mad!!!

-omg michael rooker ,that's the dude from walking dead , knocked it out of the park ! and that last scene of his as he opened the orb lmao, now we know where kids disappearing from earth go they get abducted by yandu and his accolytes

@darkelf

agree about the villains , yeah they can certainly do better on that front

that dance scene though the most unexpected move ever in order to defeat a villain , i was stamping my foot !

@empire his mom scene at the beginning very emotional , his poor family having to dealt with his disappearance after his mom death ouch, funny enough i had a feeling about his dad in that scene but then i forgot about it  

about the collector , are we to understand this takes place after the avengers events? asking because didnt thor friends bring the tesseract to him , because this infinity gem sure blew his place up lol

you know what i liked about the music is that its not just random songs , its quill connection to his mother /past /earth. He went around for 20 smtg years listening to that one mix tape and might have had 2 of them if he had only opened his mom's last gift !

@deecee

lol, first some woman thought i was sleeping after the credits started rolling then a few mn later an usher came to tell me i had to leave , i told him i can't i'm waiting for the end-credit scene, i paid for my ticket i'm staying 

by the bye what was the point of that scene anyway?

Edited by LadyEvenstar22
  • Like 2

this movie has quotes likability to give as if it was trick or treating on halloween night !

you know what i loved also , its ok for them to insult each other but someone else comes along and they send them flying literally !

lilmac

[*]I cannot forgive Star Lord and Gamora being able to survive in the vacuum of space. Assuming there was enough breathable air and tolerable temperatures in the two scenes with them in space, there is no pressure. It's a vacuum. Even if they weren't fully human, that's just not possible

i did , reminded me of a scene in farscape except they floated in space for way longer but had oxygen , also there's a character in it d'argo who survived in space for 15/20mn so its not completely out of the realm and they did say she could survive a few mn in space , quill breathed in oxygen !

i feel why it might have seem unrealistic to you is that the scene kind of went slow-mo making it seem way longer than it was , quill was clearly feeling the effect of being without oxygen but less than a human would who'd be dead already (my opinion)

@jayHollywood 

see the thing  is , my grade or appreciation of it concerns the movie itself first and foremost ! my pleasure of it isnt depending on comparison to gazillion other movies nor a deterrent

Edited by LadyEvenstar22
  • Like 1

It started off well enough, but by the half way point it really started to drag for me and a lot of the humor and "serious" drama felt forced whenever it didn't just fall flat, bravo to the black light joke though(the fact that half the theater wasn't laughing made it funnier, presumably the kids not getting it and/or disgusted parents).  And I'm sorry, but the scene where Gamora and Star Lord are floating in space for a few minutes and surviving without anything on to protect them was just an utterly dumb eyeroll moment... even for a light-hearted comic book movie.  Villain was as boring and 1 note as they come, but thats not surprising in these movies anymore.  I liked a lot of the music though!

C+

lol, yeah not many people at my cinema seemed to get this joke. Also when they are in space Rocket actually explains how they are able to stay alive, I just forgot what he said but given that they are aliens, it can hardly be called a dumb moment.

• Like 1

Star-Lord saving Gamora is probably the best sequence out of it all visually and emotionally (Imo, better than "We are Groot" and the fact that Groot's death is kind of arbitrary as Rocket claims "You gonna die!", we're supposed to care a lot when he utters that line but we know his regenerating power will inevitably comes into play since he's a regenerating tree) with shots in slomo for bigger drama impact dilating time so it actually may have been shorter than seen. Gamora is an alien and Quinn is half-human in a wacky scifi fantasy comedy so give me a break with "IT'S NOT REALISTIC BOOOOO!", the movie has bigger defaults like how the constant tone shiftings between self-patting comedy and space opera drown any sense of stakes which are basic and run-of-the-mill in the first place. The movie wants so bad to be Spaceballs, Star Wars and Flash Gordon all at the same time. Unless you're Boon-Joon Ho, it's hard to pull that off without being jarring in one way or another.

(Didn't like some of the intra-diegetic music use because the familiarity pulls me off the movie when the use is not perfectly tied to the feel of the scene. And most were not really appropriated and didn't lend themselves naturally over the editing, some needlessly went on for too long like "Hooked On A Feeling" and the "Cherry Bomb" use was annoyingly put over dialogue explaining the final battle plan. It should have been either instrumental on the actual footage edit or the song should have begun after that endgame exposition montage when they suit up and walk in slomo)

Didn't help that Thanos who is supposed to be the big baddie inspiring fear in the whole galaxy looks he's doublecrossed and betrayed by anyone of his minions like a little bitch and nobody really gives a shit of following his orders and authority, ie. Nebula and Gamora who are supposed to be his faithful executors. It was supposed to make Ronan a badass but it didn't, Ronan was still a cardboard non-threatening and boring villain of the week ala Malekith and now Thanos is seen as a lazy doofu sitting in the middle of nowhere being given the finger anytime he's turning his back...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

funny i always get feeling thanos has bigger fish to fry but like all kings sitting on a throne he has to deal with the commoners issues / humour them from time to time its good politics but don't let his sitting on my throne routine to fool you!

i hope they spend more time on him though down the road !

• Like 1

Star-Lord saving Gamora is probably the best sequence out of it all visually and emotionally

This I agree with. The soundtrack playing during that scene was very good, too.

I remember that, at the beginning of the movie, when Quill lands on that planet and starts dancing, I asked myself 'Did I make a mistake when deciding to watch this?'

Edited by ChD

This I agree with. The soundtrack playing during that scene was very good, too.

I remember that, at the beginning of the movie, when Quill lands on that planet and starts dancing, I asked myself 'Did I make a mistake when deciding to watch this?'

The planet introduction (not the hospital scene), visually and musically wise, was good in setting a mysterious scifi atmosphere. The music reminded me of Aliens.

And then he put on his walkman...I did tell to myself "Okay, so the much-vaunted quirkiness begins. If the whole movie is gonna be like this...this will be a tough sit."

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1