Guardians of The Galaxy (2014)

153 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

The Star Wars saga was fairly enjoyable but I was never really a passionate fan. GOTG just hit a nerve with me. Loved it totally. The characters, the visuals, the dialogue, music etc. Everything just clicked with me.  Sci-Fi wise I am a huge fan of films like Blade Runner,2001, the first Matrix and the first two Alien movies too and have not been a passionate fan of Marvel movies in the past though I have found them to be enjoyable.

I have no idea why people are so over me when all I did was make following statements

1. it wasn't bad it was passable entertainment to me hence 6/10

2. it rips off SW ( which I'm not a fan of like I already said ) heavily from the story structure to the certain characters all the way through the death star-like finale - fact

3. now this is my personal view but since someone did point out that this thread is designed for that I don't have to particularly justify myself but I always valued originality in work and when something is remade chances are if the thing that was being remade is already great there's no need for it but since it says that its a REMAKE I'm not that much bothered since the original film is referenced or acknowledged, however a rip off ( and I'm sorry I didn't read the comics I don't care about them I only care about what's on the screen ) is something else and this movie lifted off SW so much that it kinda made me uncomfortable about how obvious it was

4. Its just not that special of a movie there's a scene with all of them in the circle proclaiming their friendship ( when did that happen ? just cause they say they are friends doesn't make me believe that ) and determination to fight a bad guy and yet I do not believe it cause its simply not earned at all ... it simply isn't - maybe if they spent more time developing that instead of CGI space battles it would be but it just isn't

5. I am going too much into depth in a film that hasn't got any so I'll stop

thank you for your time

• Like 1

I have no idea why people are so over me when all I did was make following statements

1. it wasn't bad it was passable entertainment to me hence 6/10

2. it rips off SW ( which I'm not a fan of like I already said ) heavily from the story structure to the certain characters all the way through the death star-like finale - fact

3. now this is my personal view but since someone did point out that this thread is designed for that I don't have to particularly justify myself but I always valued originality in work and when something is remade chances are if the thing that was being remade is already great there's no need for it but since it says that its a REMAKE I'm not that much bothered since the original film is referenced or acknowledged, however a rip off ( and I'm sorry I didn't read the comics I don't care about them I only care about what's on the screen ) is something else and this movie lifted off SW so much that it kinda made me uncomfortable about how obvious it was

4. Its just not that special of a movie there's a scene with all of them in the circle proclaiming their friendship ( when did that happen ? just cause they say they are friends doesn't make me believe that ) and determination to fight a bad guy and yet I do not believe it cause its simply not earned at all ... it simply isn't - maybe if they spent more time developing that instead of CGI space battles it would be but it just isn't

thank you for your time

Because we all love to bitch.

Seriously though, just because there is a space battle at the end it doesn't mean it ripped off Star Wars. And you could also say Groot and Rockets relationship ripped of Ron Burgundy and Baxter's relationship in Anchorman :P.

• Like 1

Its got a completely different tone to Star Wars

Just saw it and really the only two things in common between GOTG and SW is that it is set up in an outlandish space universe and Rocket/Groot can remind the Han Solo/Chewbacca dynamics and communication. That's it.

But the rest, not so much, especially the tone for hence. Star Wars is a straight forward space adventure harkening back to western, GOTG is a comedy adventure filled with lot of fanservice nudgings to create proximity and relatability. In fact, GOTG got more in common with Indy, Buckaroo Banzai and Big Trouble In Little China than Star Wars in its iconoclastic mash-up of references.

Can someone point me to the countless pop culture references and quirky offbeats lines played for laughs in Star Wars that you'll find in GOTG? Because there were no reference to any pop culture memorabilias and nostalgic drawbacks in ANH to create some kind of constant offbeat tone putting an ironic distance and a (forced) relaxed feeling menacing the whole thing to crumble at the risk of being loose and unconcerned about it all.

That's why ANH felt universal and so unique. Because there were no visible signs of belonging to an era ("A Long Time ago in a galaxy, far, far away...") nor any pop culture references of the seventies just there to cuddle the audience into some kind of laidback coolness and funny familiarity. (Quill being a child of the eighties being abducted from Earth in the eighties constantly reminding us he is a manchild from the eigthties listening to seventies and eighties stuff whose main references come from the seventies and the eighties and so on throughout the whole movie thanks to the soundtrack and visual items for gags...).

Any trace of humor in SW was not because it referenced some american popculture item of its era that dates it. GOTG is the movie that wants you to laugh out loud because one character says "Kevin Bacon". Geez...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 12

Probably because most of your statements are just kinda wrong.

What are you talking about being a remake?  I don't understand this at all.  As far as lifting of SW so much, I ask you again, did you know that Star Wars lifted all kinds of shit from other films?  

Drax blows up Nebula for saying something bad about Gamora.  I totally bought it as a real friendship.  I could believe that what they have been through so far, they were going to be there for each other no matter what.  

See also:  Groot sacrificing himself to save everyone.

ugh.

thank you for your time

• Like 1

Just saw it and really the only two things in common between GOTG and SW is that it is set up in an outlandish space universe and Rocket/Groot can remind the Han Solo/Chewbacca dynamics and communication. That's it. But the rest, not so much, especially the tone for hence. Star Wars is a straight forward space adventure harkening back to western, GOTG is a comedy adventure filled with lot of fanservice nudgings to create proximity and relatability. In fact, GOTG got more in common with Indy, Buckaroo Banzai and Big Trouble In Little China than Star Wars in its iconoclastic mash-up of references. Can someone point me to the countless pop culture references and quirky offbeats lines played for laughs in Star Wars that you'll find in GOTG? Because there were no reference to any pop culture memorabilias and nostalgic drawbacks in ANH to create some kind of constant offbeat tone putting an ironic distance and a (forced) relaxed feeling menacing the whole thing to crumble at the risk of being loose and unconcerned about it all. That's why ANH felt universal and so unique. Because there were no visible signs of belonging to an era ("A Long Time ago in a galaxy, far, far away...") nor any pop culture references of the seventies just there to cuddle the audience into some kind of laidback coolness and funny familiarity. (Quill being a child of the eighties being abducted from Earth in the eighties constantly reminding us he is a manchild from the eigthties listening to seventies and eighties stuff whose main references come from the seventies and the eighties and so on throughout the whole movie thanks to the soundtrack and visual items for gags...). Any trace of humor in SW was not because it referenced some american popculture item of its era that dates it. GOTG is the movie that wants you to laugh out loud because one character says "Kevin Bacon". Geez...

Oh dash sure do love hitting that nail on the head, I take it you wasn't a big fan of GOTG then?