Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

5 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

The BFG says Hi. 

You know, I saw that a few weeks ago with my boys...and I realized why it failed.  It took away the crazy and zaniness of the book and created a different tonal experience.  It was beautiful and beautifully done, but it wasn't The Roald Dahl BFG, and so I was left a little disappointed and almost cold...

It's a fine line/balance to meet a book lover's expectations and still make a great movie...sometimes, if you meet the expectations, you make a bad movie.  Sometimes if you make a great movie, you miss the book lover's expectations.  

• Like 2

Man i wonder how Ava now feels about turning down that Black Panther gig. She said no to them on the basis that she would not be able to put her personal stamp on it, and then Marvel turns around and gives the film to the dude she considers her little brother. And he proceeds to make a film that crushes it out of the park, breaks all kinds of box office records, and becomes a cultural touchstone that's probably going to win a bunch of awards and be remembered for a long time. And he did all this while working across the hall from her in the Disney building.

I'm sure she's happy for him and all, but thats gotta sting a little.

Edited by sdeezy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Ask the Ready Player One haters that as well. People desperately want that film to fail.

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

He can't because he is one. @Telehilation has been against RPO for some reason.

I don't see people mocking and demeaning Spielberg, but if I did, I think I'd have the same reaction. 

I'm not excited by the movie and I have a feeling I won't care much for it, but I'm hardly trying to shout out that it's some awful miserable thing and I hope it bombs.

The critical or BO failure of any non-CBM/non-franchise movie is always a sad thing. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Telehilation said:

I don't see people mocking and demeaning Spielberg, but if I did, I think I'd have the same reaction. 

I'm not excited by the movie and I have a feeling I won't care much for it, but I'm hardly trying to shout out that it's some awful miserable thing and I hope it bombs.

The critical or BO failure of any non-CBM/non-franchise movie is always a sad thing. 

:rofl:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Weird to be so against people who don't think that AWIT looks great then...

I also don't think AWIT looks great -- which you'd realize if you've read my posts from when the first material was released. But it's hardly some personal thing or vendetta. 

5 minutes ago, kells said:

Why do we allow this?  How do people not realize how shameful that is to the director/writer to coddle them and just say good job,, if not really good job.  I guess not allowed to be a 'critic' of certain media in 2018.

Edited by AdamKendall
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Weird to be so against people who don't think that AWIT looks great then...

I don’t think @Telehilation is against people who don’t think a movie looks great. There’s a difference between saying why you don’t think a movie looks good and using gifs of garbage and the like. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Maybe, just maybe, she didn’t want to direct a Black Panther film, and wanted to direct this instead?

Nah she said she wanted to do it initially, was excited at the the prospect and was close to accepting it, and then changed her mind later. And of course she could have had a change of heart, but i'm just saying she's probably looking back at that from a different perspective today.

6 minutes ago, sdeezy said:

Man i wonder how Ava now feels about turning down that Black Panther gig. She said no to them on the basis that she would not be able to put her personal stamp on it, and then Marvel turns around and gives the film to the dude she considers her little brother. And he proceeds to make a film that crushes it out of the park, breaks all kinds of box office records, and becomes a cultural touchstone that's probably going to win a bunch of awards and be remembered for a long time. And he did all this while working across the hall from her.

I'm sure she's happy for him and all, but thats gotta sting a little.

She thought she can turn this into something great with Oprah's blessings and Disney backing her. LMAO. 

Really should have just worked with Fiege on BP. But then we wouldn't have gotten MBJ as KillMonger. Let's face it, that dude didn't had to audition for the role. He came along with Coogler. A package deal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sdeezy said:

Nah she said she wanted to do it initially, was excited at the the prospect and was close to accepting it, and then changed her mind later. And of course she could have had a change of heart, but i'm just saying she's probably looking back at that from a different perspective today.

Assuming she's happy with the final result of AWIT, probably not.