Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

15 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I don't think people should be light on their criticism bc of who made a movie or who stars in it, but excuse me if I have to laugh at this man, who would probably physically fight everyone behind CinemaSins in a dive bar, who talked shit about your bland-ass monster movie.

In fairness he did go on honest trailers to try to save face :redcapes:

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

So why do white people want this to be the worst movie ever made?

The Black Panther revolution was too much for them. It's out-grossing all their favorite superheros. 

10 minutes ago, Premium George said:

'Cos in their mind, WW and BP only got good reviews because of political reasons, and not for actual quality of movie.

Bingo.

I remember the same thing hapened with Supergirl, Barb Wire, Elektra, STeel, and The Meteor Man: all got glowing reviews and pehomenal box office because of SJW reasons not because...oh, wait...

nevermind.

• Haha 1

The idea that critics are “contorting” themselves to like a movie with 43% on RT and 54 on meractitic is ludicrous. Some white ppl are exhausting. It really seems they are annoyed that BP was so critically praised but can’t fault it due to its massive box office take and amazing legs so far so they are using this movie as s proxy in some culture war they are trying to generate when it’s not warranted like at all. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Bingo.

I remember the same thing hapened with Supergirl, Barb Wire, Elektra, STeel, and The Meteor Man: all got glowing reviews and pehomenal box office because of SJW reasons not because...oh, wait...

nevermind.

I have used this reason on them. Believe me if this getting 45% doesn't convince them that there is no conspiracy, nothing will. 

So maybe some do want this to be the "worst film ever made". Is it really worth getting fired up over people hating what's probably not that great a movie a little too much? You can't fight off every single racist.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Objectively speaking, the trailers did this film no favors. Derivative Disney dribble like “your father is gone and only you can save him”, etc. 

Unfortunately it looks like the film isn’t much better. That being said, I’ve never liked the source material, so my opinion is hardly worth it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DarthPynchon said:

Objectively speaking, the trailers did this film no favors. Derivative Disney dribble like “your father is gone and only you can save him”, etc. 

Unfortunately it looks like the film isn’t much better. That being said, I’ve never liked the source material, so my opinion is hardly worth it.

Well, there was no way for the trailers to hide the tragically miscast Oprah and Reese, the hideous makeup, the early '90s looking CG or the ugly color palette. 

1 hour ago, Premium George said:

I have used this reason on them. Believe me if this getting 45% doesn't convince them that there is no conspiracy, nothing will. 

The excuse I've seen is that it would be at <10% if it didn't involve minorities. Its so utterly ridiculous. They're mad its not LOW enough.

From what I've seen, the schadenfreude over this movie's reception has been nothing out of the ordinary for a prominent tentpole. I'm certain any number of white male led superhero films would also have some people complaining that critics were still too soft on it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

From what I've seen, the schadenfreude over this movie's reception has been nothing out of the ordinary for a prominent tentpole. I'm certain any number of white male led superhero films would also have some people complaining that critics were still too soft on it.

Like any Marvel movie. They receive that kind of complaints all the time. Heck, that's how Disney Payroll Conspiracy started. :hahaha:

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Like any Marvel movie. They receive that kind of complaints all the time. Heck, that's how Disney Payroll Conspiracy started. :hahaha:

The conspiracies over Marvel are stupid as hell too but Marvel movies get good reviews and all have above 80% on RT. This movie is 45% on RT. Considering barely anyone has seen it the complaints about critics going soft are completely unwarranted. 

I have a question to those who think that because this movie is sitting at 40% on RT there must be this grand conspiracy theory that critics are being too generous with the film and the rating should be worse: Have ya'll watched the movie? If not, sit down and be quiet. You're embarrassing yourselves and really showing your asses. 

Like do you guys do this with every movie that's rated at 40%? No. So why is there suddenly a conspiracy that critics have to be giving this movie a good rating? Like if someone heard you guys they'd think this movie was getting raves and was in line for best picture at the Oscars next year. So embarrassing. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, AJG said:

So why do white people want this to be the worst movie ever made?

We don't, its just some people are unhappy when a critic uses political biases to rate a movie, i.e. they give it a better score because of the racial stuff than if it hadn't had that racial stuff

35 minutes ago, ban1o said:

The conspiracies over Marvel are stupid as hell too but Marvel movies get good reviews and all have above 80% on RT. This movie is 45% on RT. Considering barely anyone has seen it the complaints about critics going soft are completely unwarranted. 

I didn't follow the Justice League thread too closely but it wouldn't shock me at all if there were something going on there too. And critics would have had a pretty sympathetic reason to "go soft" in that case.

And lord knows I had to deal with it stanning for John Carter and The Good Dinosaur.

Edited by tribefan695

43 minutes ago, Nova said:

I have a question to those who think that because this movie is sitting at 40% on RT there must be this grand conspiracy theory that critics are being too generous with the film and the rating should be worse: Have ya'll watched the movie? If not, sit down and be quiet. You're embarrassing yourselves and really showing your asses. 

Like do you guys do this with every movie that's rated at 40%? No. So why is there suddenly a conspiracy that critics have to be giving this movie a good rating? Like if someone heard you guys they'd think this movie was getting raves and was in line for best picture at the Oscars next year. So embarrassing. 

It's really bizarre because it's not just the typical internet dwellers that have their knives sharpen this time, there seems to be some industry insiders who are in on the WIT bashfest to fan the flames. It's like a pent-up vendetta against Ava DuVernay was brewing because she's a former PR boss who worked behind the scenes for studios and mentored under Oprah Winfrey's wings so she must be a trifling witch tricking her way up.

It's rich because Hollywood is based on networking and kissing asses for a come-up, "Who knows who" in Tinseltown more than your stellar credentials and merits, ingratiating the powers that be for a break. It looks like a gigantic gentlemen's club high on bro culture but God forbid an ambitious black woman worked that ladder for herself, building and securing her industry connections. (Even though plenty of mediocre white men have been given plenty of passes because they're buddies with some studio execs and producers that cape for them even when they shit the bed).

It looks like some petty classroom squabble where the bros were foaming at the corner of the class for years to shit on Miss Teacher's Pet for all those years of perceived ass-kissing ass-kicking. Apparently, their bruised egos are threatened by DuVernay's career even though she's being panned by critics, they want her humiliated.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

We don't, its just some people are unhappy when a critic uses political biases to rate a movie, i.e. they give it a better score because of the racial stuff than if it hadn't had that racial stuff

The movie literally has a 42% with a 5.1 avg score....

Is it meant to be lower?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

The movie literally has a 42% with a 5.1 avg score....

Is it meant to be lower?

I was referring to the content of the reviews themselves not the meaningless RT score

TWIT is a family movie. They usually get thumbs down from critics cause they are corny/cheesy/schmaltzy by nature and critics don't like that. The audience, however, responds in big way hence why family movies are critic-proof and have good legs.