filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

Bay has undeniable talent when it comes to drawing in the masses.Sure he works with well established properties but he is just darn good. A big factor in me wanting to see TMNT is that Bay is involved.

I think these 80's properties sell themselves.

Even Secret of the Ooze with Vanilla Ice made 150 m domestic (adjusted).

Sorry Tele, didn't mean to derail the thread.  Someone brought up 80's cartoons and Michael Bay since now he has 2 successful attempts at doing it.  Back to our regularly schedule program. Wow Turtles shuts some haters up.  Good God at Guardians, looks like the WOM is kicking in. 

It also helps that '80s babies are one of the first generations to not really let go of their kiddie stuff. I mean, our parents or grandparents weren't really clamoring for a Howdy Doody or HR PufnStuf, were they?

I agree, we have embraced our childhoods more than our parents did.  This is why "Transformers" and :"Turtles" can be a blockbuster success.  We are bringing our kids while re-living out childhoods. 

They should let Bay produce G.I. Joe 3. Same studio and also a Hasbro property like Transformers.Or maybe he could reboot it with nods to Transformers so we one day get a G.I. Joe Transformers crossover film.

Why? Isn't one franchise's quality and integrity being destroyed enough?Well, it's not like GI Joe had any of that anyways...

Oh, this is funny. Prepare for the inevitable meltdowns when that Guardian number will decrease.

I won't be too dissapointed if it goes down by $2-3M, considering it's still a great second weekend drop for a huge tentpole, and it's 10-day total will be larger than any other 2014 movie. :)

• Like 1