filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

It got my grandma in the theater for like the second time in twenty years lol. She and her friend loved it and wants my parents to go see it. Thats just them tho, not saying everyone is thinking that way.

I have no doubt its a fine film and probably worth seeing.

The first 10 days of August have been really strong. There is a decent chance now that August monthly gross is more than July. I don't think that has happened anytime in recent history.

• Like 3

Is anyone else starting to lose faith in the tracking systems that are currently in place?  This is two weeks in a row that the top movie has been severely underestimated (Godzilla was another one this year, as were others).  So either the tracking has been way off... OR studios are starting to infiltrate the estimates with their own "studio-friendly" numbers.  Just think if GOTG had been tracking for $110 mil, the $94 mil would've been a black eye for Marvel; same with the $65 mil for TMNT - what if tracking was quoted in $90-mil OW range?  Now both are seen as smash hits, even though neither will come close to landing in, say, the Top 60 of all-time - no movie released this year so far will.

So has tracking become that unreliable, or is someone manipulating those numbers to make above-average-to-good openings look considerably better?

Beside tracking never being that ....

After this years rather strange numbers in general, I'm not that surprised about a bit cautiously predictions.

How strong the advertising ideas for GotG might impact, how to predict such, if new(err) methods?

Beside:

Don't forget, till now only 3 movies made an OW over $50m in an August....

Curious how strong the upcoming Expendables with the PG-13 rating will be interesting for teens who till now were not allowed to see the older ones

• Like 1

The first 10 days of August have been really strong. There is a decent chance now that August monthly gross is more than July. I don't think that has happened anytime in recent history.

True. July missed 1B this year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES earned an estimated $1.24M on Friday. Domestic total now stands at $194.67M. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DawnOfApes?src=hash">#DawnOfApes</a></p>&mdash; BoxOffice (@BoxOffice) <a href="

9, 2014</a></blockquote><script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • Like 2

If Turtles keeps getting up from estimates, we might still have our first true 100m OW before Mockingjay. :ph34r:

Also, strong number for Guardians. Considering most movies this summer regardless of their critical reaction had bad to average legs, a sub-60% drop for Guardians should be viewed as a success.

• Like 2

Really? How? I thought the record was 69m?

Really? How? I thought the record was 69m?

Without a Guardians release the week before, TMNT could be doing better (like 70 + maybe?) as both seem to have quite the audience overlap...Either way, this is shaping to be a great August. :D

Without a Guardians release the week before, TMNT could be doing better (like 70 + maybe?) as both seem to have quite the audience overlap...Either way, this is shaping to be a great August. :D

oh

• Like 1