filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

One of the things I found to be incredibly stupid in the GOTG (and this is apparently one of the parts that people love is)

getting rid of the villain by distracting him with a dance recital.  It was like I was watching Scooby Doo.  If that wasn't Marvel, it would have been ripped to shreds.  But Marvel can do wrong right now.

The entire cinema gave one of the biggest laughs for that

• Like 7

My only complaint on GOTG was that the villains looked like they came straight from a power rangers shoot. Ronan, Thanos and Nebula looked made for a tv show and not really menacing. Also the Peter-mother angle seemed forced and bland. But other than that, it was magnificent. Visuals were astonishing, action scenes brilliant, and the music was gorgeous.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Ok they actually look scarier than any Marvel villian to this point ;)

• Like 3

One of the things I found to be incredibly stupid in the GOTG (and this is apparently one of the parts that people love is)

getting rid of the villain by distracting him with a dance recital.  It was like I was watching Scooby Doo.  If that wasn't Marvel, it would have been ripped to shreds.  But Marvel can do wrong right now.

This is going to sound totally weird, and maybe even a little hypocritical in your eyes, but....I actually think the scene works because Ronan isn't that strong of a villian. If this were someone like, say, Nurse Ratched, Buffalo Bill, The Joker, etc., it would be much harder to see such a threatening person be taken down by such a simple distraction. Here, it's almost as if Gunn was making a subtle comment on how lousy Marvel villians are and using it to create something fun with it. I'm not saying the moment works, but it does make me dwell on it a bit more.

• Like 2

I haven't seen TMNT. What is age inappropiate in it for kids? I thought it was a straight up kids movie from the trailers.

I get the impression 8 years and above, its a kid movie but it cater to older audience who grew up with it

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100758/parentalguide

Here it recommends 10 years and up

Edited by eXtacy

Yeah I can definitely see how that doesn't work for you.  At first, I was crazy about it, but as the scene went on, I dealt with it.  However, I get why it can be looked upon as bad or stupid

I haven't seen TMNT. What is age inappropiate in it for kids? I thought it was a straight up kids movie from the trailers.

about half way through there's an eyes wide shut style party scene. I know, I was surprised too.

• Like 3

I also didn't find anything amusing about GOTG.  I knew from the trailers and the awful music cues that the film wouldn't be for me (but I see everything I can) and that same tone lasted for nearly 120 minutes.  Could not stand Chris Pratt...

BTW, why are the villains in the Marvel universe so incredibly weak?  There is never the feeling of any real danger or risk.

I'd say that's pretty much a deal-breaker for this film, since he is very clearly the lead in every sense of the word.  I completely understand that if you couldn't stand Pratt, you simply couldn't enjoy the film.

For me, as with the Avengers, GOTG's biggest strength is watching the characters interact, which was a boatload of fun, IMO.

And it's also hard to argue your point about Marvel's villains.  I thought maybe they'd turned a corner with the Winter Soldier, as Redford made a great behind-the-scenes baddie and the WS himself seemed quite formidable and more than able to take out Cap in every scene, but Ronan was a regression back to the likes of the boring Dark Elf guy from Thor 2 and the over-the-top Guy Pearce in IM3.  After some of the best fight scenes in CBM history in CA:WTS, GOTG brought back the generic hand-to-hand battles with virtually no WOW factor that I felt during Cap's best battles.  Yet, like I said, I still really enjoyed GOTG because of the interplay between all 5 leads (Gamora, the least of the bunch, though).  I bought into most (but certainly not ALL) of the comedy; you didn't.  As others have pointed out, it's pretty much impossible to try to convince someone that what they saw was funny, if it just didn't hit 'em that way.  It is or it isn't.  Doesn't make me a Comedy Connoiseur and you a Comedy Snob - I'll bet there are lots of movies we both find funny - it's just a difference in taste.  And Gunn's sense of humor is an odd taste... which I enjoy.

Glad you didn't completely hate the film - we certainly agree that the look of GOTG was surprisingly impressive.

• Like 1

God, I loved that part so much!I don't know... I think it fit the rest of the tone of the movie, so I think most people were pleased with the way it was executed. I was surprised how much of that final act balanced LOL moments with some real emotional stuff.Marvel gets its fair share of criticism. Thor 2 and IM3 are eviscerated pretty heavily on these boards and on the 'net. And there's always Ant-Man if you're looking for something to gang up on Marvel for. And people (not critics) give their favorite franchises a pass for the most part. So, honestly, I don't think the sentiment that Marvel can do no wrong is inaccurate and unfair.
  • Like 2

The thing that makes me excited about TMNT is that it shows how readily kids will show up to any movie they want, even if it's PG-13. I'd love to see studios have the guts to make a big, PG-13 animated tentpole.

CAYOM, this ain't, cause there's, like, 5 of them coming in the next year.  :lol:

• Like 3

This is going to sound totally weird, and maybe even a little hypocritical in your eyes, but....I actually think the scene works because Ronan isn't that strong of a villian. If this were someone like, say, Nurse Ratched, Buffalo Bill, The Joker, etc., it would be much harder to see such a threatening person be taken down by such a simple distraction. Here, it's almost as if Gunn was making a subtle comment on how lousy Marvel villians are and using it to create something fun with it. I'm not saying the moment works, but it does make me dwell on it a bit more.

Yea but all Ronan had to do is shoot him, then it's done.  But he stops, like a cartoon, and gets confused by what is happening.  It's cheap, imo, silly, imo and betrays what Marvel villains are supposed to be like.  This guy basically told Thanos to go fuck himself and yet he gets killed because he's confused by someone dancing in front of him.  Stupid imo.

• Like 1

yeah, that was pretty stupid.