filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

And finally Deadline weighs in 

Box Office Matinees: ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Looks To Win Weekend Battle As Estimates Raise to $50M to $55M; ‘Guardians’ Over $40M

2nd UPDATE, Friday, 1:49 PM: No two ways about it, it’s a monster.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is looking like its on track for a $20M to $22M Friday, soaring to a new weekend estimate of $50M to $55M for Paramount Pictures. Others have it at $47M to $53M. Regardless, it is on track to be the weekend’s big winner. Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy in its second weekend should feel the surge tonight, but it looks like it will gross in the low-to-mid $40M for the three day. It’s holding well though with maybe a 53% drop. Warner Bros.’ disaster picInto the Storm is tracking at $14.5M to $18M for the weekend right now, and Disney’s The Hundred-Foot Journey from DreamWorks/Participant may dish up $7M to $9.5M. Meanwhile, Lionsgate’s romancer Step Up: All In looks right now to swing in with $6M to $9M. That’s how it looks now. Will update again as the day/night progresses, but a big congrats to Paramount and everyone involved in this picture which was marketed well to family audiences. It has been tracking strong among the 25 to 35 crowd — those kids who grew up on the Turtles on Saturday morning cartoons.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

And finally Deadline weighs in

Box Office Matinees: ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Looks To Win Weekend Battle As Estimates Raise to $50M to $55M; ‘Guardians’ Over $40M

2nd UPDATE, Friday, 1:49 PM: No two ways about it, it’s a monster.Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is looking like its on track for a $20M to $22M Friday, soaring to a new weekend estimate of $50M to $55M for Paramount Pictures. Others have it at $47M to $53M. Regardless, it is on track to be the weekend’s big winner. Disney/Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy in its second weekend should feel the surge tonight, but it looks like it will gross in the low-to-mid $40M for the three day. It’s holding well though with maybe a 53% drop. Warner Bros.’ disaster picInto the Storm is tracking at $14.5M to $18M for the weekend right now, and Disney’s The Hundred-Foot Journey from DreamWorks/Participant may dish up $7M to $9.5M. Meanwhile, Lionsgate’s romancer Step Up: All In looks right now to swing in with $6M to $9M. That’s how it looks now. Will update again as the day/night progresses, but a big congrats to Paramount and everyone involved in this picture which was marketed well to family audiences. It has been tracking strong among the 25 to 35 crowd — those kids who grew up on the Turtles on Saturday morning cartoons.

Still no proper numbers

I totally hope somehow Pokemon and Digimon someday get big screen treatments as well. They are the big boys of the mid/late 1990. Hopefully the success of this TMNT makes that happen. 

Edited by CJohn

I totally hope somehow Pokemon and Digimon someday get big screen treatments as well. They are the big boys of the mid/late 1990. Hopefully the success of this TMNT makes that happen. 

Considering the Digimon movie did a pathetic $9M back in 2000 (which is around the time I assume the show was popular), I wouldn't bet on that ever happening.

My kid can't get enough of the Turtle shit. The animation on that show is trash though,

I honestly can't get into the new animated shows.  I honestly only like Traditional Animation for my Turtles cartoons.  I think computer animation has over saturated the market.  There should of always been a balance between traditional and computer. 

Pokemon is inevitable. I hope it gets the Bay treatment for maximum internet hilarity

• Like 1

Man, not even my nostalgia boner, Megan Fox, or my son's interest in turtles could get me to the theater to see the new TMNT :( But, I am hoping for a good box office to give the summer some positive closure, so good on Turtles.Man, if Guardians manages a 53% drop.... AWESOME!

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 1

Pokemon already had 2 movies that got released in theaters in the US in 99 and 2000. The first was actually kind of massive, grossing around 200m DOM adjusted.