Blackout

Thursday #s: GOTG 7.6m

http://www.deadline.com/2014/08/box-office-preview-audiences-expected-to-shell-it-out-for-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-will-guardians-hold-fast-at-no-1/

In comparison,Guardians of the Galaxy grossed $11.2M last weekend and has been logging a stellar mid-week gross. Last night, it took in approximately $7.6M. 

-13.6%

Edited by Sky™
  • Like 1

But then again you did have 4(!) movies having previews last night.

TMNT and Step Up had both 2D and 3D showings. Add in a premium format, and that could account for 6-8 (or more) screens at many theaters last night. So pretty much half the theater, if not more.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a number of films with far worse than 13% drops last night.

If it follows Dawn of the Apes, it would make $47.4M this weekend. It still has a shot at making that cause Guardians is more family friendly than Dawn of Apes. I'm still predicting $45M, but Friday needs to perform well. It still looks like it'll be a close race to #1.

You also have to think about Thursday previews. We have all four movies getting shows Thursday night and that's going to make it drop a little more on Thursday.

There are times when I can be right in here!

But, that might mean we get a higher than usual Friday bump. Maybe.

• Like 2

TASM2 and DOFP both fell 13% on Thursday.Meanwhile, CATWS fell 4% and Godzilla fell 7% (two films that pretty much had opposite legs).TF4 had a huge increase, because it was July 3.

The thursday drops indicates nothing how long the legs will be in the end.