kayumanggi

Weekend numbers thread:TMNT: 28.4 GOTG: 24.7 LBC. 17.7 Ex3: 16.2

Guardians will likely top out between $280-290M, methinks. Although the fact that might be enough to take #2 of the year domestic is pretty mind-boggling.

It should depend on how well the Hobbit pulls numbers.  Several folks I know were tired after the first two but I'm guessing people will still go see it because it's the last.

Can't see GOTG hitting $300 million. $290 absolute maximum imo. It'll start to lose more theaters and weekdays will get weaker as we exit the summer. We've basically got one guaranteed $300 million grosser in THG and imo two potentials with Interstellar and Hobbit. Possibly three if Disney's Big Hero 6 explodes - but I doubt it will.

It should depend on how well the Hobbit pulls numbers.  Several folks I know were tired after the first two but I'm guessing people will still go see it because it's the last.

I agree that the Hobbit probably ends up at #1 domestic for the year, but my God I've been wrong all year long so far so no reason to pay attention to me. E.g., if four months ago someone would have told me that Captain America's domestic tally would withstand the assaults of X-Men, Spider-man, Godzilla, Planet of the Apes, and Transformers (!!!) I would have told them to give me some of what they were smoking! :P

Edited by estebanJ
  • Like 1

The worst part is their main news contributors fan the flames. JoshWilding is always making a post about Marvel beating D.C. etc. I called him out on twitter a few days ago for inaccurately reporting Cap2's gross and he basically shrugged it off.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oop! LOLOLOLOL!!!!

Wilding's a friend on Twitter, (as is RorMachine and Marvel_Freshman). I love talking CBMs with them and other random stuff, but yeah, I'll admit he does write really baity headlines. Often ;)

I've teased him for his clickbait a lot :P

• Like 1

I can't imagine teaching myself German.  Good for you for doing it on your own....really impressive.

I had a

starting help' (hence the reason I say 'mainly).

I had 1 hour a week at school for a time, but the teacher wasn't a native English speaking person, I was really bad then too and he didn't teach English like it is really used => like maybe a 2 year old would speak

At that time we had no Internet, said DVDs, not even VHS or so. Then a longer break, without any use of the learned little knowledge and than a re-start vis also technical handbooks (how to repair an British car...) And so it began...

Ian Sandwell @ian_sandwell 2 mins

Guardians of the Galaxy up to around £19m in the UK.

=>

OW $10,703,387 for the moment $23,244,928

Considering the big success of another actual movie in UK, I'd say = not bad

Some MCU UK numbers as a comparison

CA 1

OW $4,899,096 final $14,752,839

Thor 1

OW $9,106,603 final $22,521,717

CA 2

OW $10,045,775 final $32,230,026

great WOM MP

IM 2

OW $11,712,073 final $30,456,328

Thor 2 (internationally more successful as some here seem to think)

OW $13,804,931 final $31,811,834
  • Like 2

BoxOffice@BoxOffice 2m

THE EXPENDABLES 3 opened with an estimated $16.2M this weekend. #TheExpendables3

Sad as that number is, after the Friday number I was half expecting under 15, so it over performed given my lowered expectations.

Still a bad number for the franchise. That's -43% from EX2

I wonder if that will kill even the female Expendables movie.

• Like 2

I don't blame the leak on the bad numbers, I blame the leak for turning the bad numbers into some pathetic numbers, like 1.5m OW in Australia, for example.

It's not just the leak. I am pretty sure the PG-13 rating and the whole thing about the movie being mostly about a younger cast instead of the "bunch of old style heroes beating the fuck out of people" has a lot to do with it.

I always look at my own social circle to get a feel for how something is going to do.Two close friends who are frequent moviegoers and went to see the first two Expendables movies - both watched the leak two weeks ago. They have no plans to see it in theaters, despite liking it.Definitely had an effect.

Agreed.  Was at the beach yesterday and asked a few friends if they were going to see Expendables and they said they had already downloaded it.  Neither was thrilled with it but would have been at the theater if there had been no leak.

• Like 1