Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Why do you expect this? 

I've seen too little of it to judge either way, but the premise is interesting enough. I actually think Aquaman's popularity with general audiences will turn a lot of online "critics" around and the narrative will change, where it becomes retroactively more embraced by them. As such, I believe that if the execution for Shazam is on the money - as in a fun, entertaining, visually interesting movie that alows for you to have fun watching it (like Aquaman), any script issues will be more easily overlooked. To put it another way - 3/5 reviews that went rotten for Aquaman I can see the reviewers attributing as fresh with Shazam. So I could easily see an 80%+ tomato meter, but with a low average. 

Well let's hope so, but until the critics start to do that then I will remain pessimistic. 

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

, but they - especially a lot of the new generation online ones - are influenced by their audience. The DCEU movies have not clicked with audiences, so the general impression is that they are bad movies, compared to the MCU.

Unfortunately I don't think the numbers from RT support this theory.

After 6 movies, DC has an average audience score of 73.5% and average Audience rating of 3.88/5

Meanwhile after 20 movies Marvel has 83.25% (13% higher) and 4.07/5 (4.9 % higher).

If critics are influenced by their audience then their ratings should somewhat reflect the audience rating right? Instead here are the stats:

DC: Average tomatometer 51.17 % - average critics rating 5.82/10

Marvel: Average tomatometer 84.05 % (64% higher) - average critics rating 7.2/10 (23% higher)

The averages show that the GA indeed like Marvel more than DC, but not by much. It's the critics that are massively favoring one over the other.

Of course 6 movies is a very small sample, and BvS and SS really skew the average tomatometer, let's see how the averages change when DC has more film under their belt. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rocinante said:

What will they do when the child actors become too old to play the parts? Will they recast them?

Also critics are gonna rip this film to pieces. I'm expecting 50% RT. 

50% is not ripping to pieces, a Venom like score is. Furthermore it's too early to say what is going to happen one way or the other.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the new trailer next year. 

10 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Didn't realize there were reviews for this movie already. Can somebody send me the link?

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

My thoughts exactly. Lol.  Like what? There are no reviews. 

There are you need to have exclusive membership access to view them. 

• Haha 1

I can see both scenarios. I can see reviewers enjoying this for the fun movie it probably will be but it’s seems lots of a reviewers still have a glass half empty outlook when it comes to DC. So I also wouldn’t be surprised if goofy and cheesey become a bad thing all of a sudden like they did with *ahem* a certain movie. But regardless I think it will be a crowd pleaser which is the more important thing. 

Edited by Bane Cook

After Aquaman,I really don't care what critics think.According to Metacrtic,Aquaman is lowest Christmas film this year.However,Aquaman is a Big winner This Christmas.Audiences WoM is 2nd Best This holiday.If DC films can continue succeeding like Aquaman,I don't really care what critics bloggers think.DC universe need solid and GA-friendly film.That's enough.not critic favourite film.DC fans or haters care too much Rotten tomato.International audiences even don't this website exist.WB should release OS first As Aquaman do.

Edited by SliverS

Nobody reads metacritc. At least not enough people for it to matter. Jumanji had much worst reviews than Star Wars last year and which one did audiences like more? Jumanji is the answer. 

Dumping that dopey dark n gritty mope fest 3000 style will be the best thing that WB ever did with regards to the DC films. That tone is fine for lower budgeted side projects but it's awful for their mainstream projects. Also WB should start aggressively going after women from now on. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

6 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Nobody reads metacritc. At least not enough people for it to matter. Jumanji had much worst reviews than Star Wars last year and which one did audiences like more? Jumanji is the answer. 

Dumping that dopey dark n gritty mope fest 3000 style will be the best thing that WB ever did with regards to the DC films. That tone is fine for lower budgeted side projects but it's awful for their mainstream projects. Also WB should start aggressively going after women from now on. 

I think Batman should remain dark and gritty but the rest, more like WW and Aquaman. 

Did anyone see the “new” trailer? It played in front of Spider-verse for me. It’s not really new. Just a cut of the old trailer but a few seconds of new footage of the scene in the gas station. Also I think maybe his suit is color corrected the way it is in the new photos. Looked on youtube and didn’t see it.

EDIT* And no it’s not the exact same shortened trailer that’s been playing in theaters for months. Like I said, this has a few secs of new footage of Freddy recording Captain Marvel in the gas station.

Edited by Bane Cook