Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

11 minutes ago, RichWS said:

132 MINUTES

giphy.gif

I didn't know runtime before I watched it but it definitely drags in the third act, I really felt it testing my patience (I was enjoying it huegly). Fighting at the end lasts too long.

Edited by Avatree

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

2017 was the year of John Denver

Yeah and I'm feeling nostalgic for 2017. The Three Kings ruled that year.

King Covenant

King Logan

and King Sman

36 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think all the studios..including Marvel, are going to look for Superhero stories that can be made on a budget smaller then what has been Standard

There a bit of a danger into doing that too much too, easier to keep the very small Oligopoly going on giant budget, animation can be made a very low cost, the over 200m business of Disney-Pixar is a really good model that make it really hard to compete with them.

4 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Action was good though?

I guess? It's just the same kind of dull weightless action as all the other superhero films, it's the writing, the character stuff and humour that works much better here.

Edited by Avatree
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

$45M OW while perfectly fine for its budget can't help but feel it would be a bit disappointing. Hopefully goes above $50M.

Let's hope for some WOM and good legs

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

There have always been different budgeted CBMs. Daredevil cost $78m the same year SM2 cost $200m.   X-Men 3 cost $168m the same year Elektra cost $43m, V For Vendetta cost $54m and Sin City cost $40m.

But the MCU already uses Netflix, Hulu etc and soon to be Disney+ for it's lower scale output.  Looking at their current theatrical business model they have no cause to change course especially since they have an audiences that is used to a certain level of spectacle and they're reportedly going more cosmic.

Also just b/c a budget is half or one third the budget of a larger scale film doesn't mean the releasing costs or participation points are similarly down scaled.   P&A for Deadpool2 was still $135m and participation another $60m on top of the $110m budget

nah...P&A for shazam will be small...zac and the kids won't ask a big chunk of dollar....meanwhile deadpool2 is sequel and ryan is an A-list actor...

• Thanks 1

Great reviews from mainstream media critics the last few days, the awful presales (for a superhero movie) are puzzling. It reminds me of Spider-Verse.

I never thought it would have a lot of appeal overseas so that part isn't surprising.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, boyamama said:

nah...P&A for shazam will be small...zac and the kids won't ask a big chunk of dollar....meanwhile deadpool2 is sequel and ryan is an A-list actor...

P&A is still going to be $100m+ WW.   Participation will of course be lower though participation on DP1 was actually higher than DP 2  which is what kept the budget lower and P&A was still over $100m WW.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, boyamama said:

Why would they ? Smaller property start with less awareness and less partnership deal for free promos.

Like @TalismanRing, will still be over 100m like a regular studio movie with a world release, you are right for the participation being in the lower side for those movies too.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Why would they ? Smaller property start with less awareness and less partnership deal for free promos.

He obviously meant participation, that is the only thing mentioned in the rest of the comment. And the cast of Shazam does look significantly cheaper than usual (e.g. Aquaman or MoS).

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

There a bit of a danger into doing that too much too, easier to keep the very small Oligopoly going on giant budget, animation can be made a very low cost, the over 200m business of Disney-Pixar is a really good model that make it really hard to compete with them. 

Well in recent years, superhero movies in the $100M range (Deadpools, Venom, Logan) have been very profitable, only beaten in profits by the very top of the MCU after 20+ movies.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Well in recent years, superhero movies in the $100M range (Deadpools, Venom, Logan) have been very profitable, only beaten in profits by the very top of the MCU after 20+ movies.

Yes and they used brand establish by the 200-300 and now 400m+ movies in those success, from time to time they are a good idea no doubt, but you probably want to keep it something with a very high level cost of entry and spectacle/scope almost impossible for newcomers to compete with.

Stories that Zach Levi will start filming the 3rd Season of "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel" in a couple of weeks now that his publicity chores for "SHazam " are done.

Good news, since I think "Maisel" is easily the best comedy on Television.