Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine Shazam was always going to be skewed more domestic heavy due to being more comedic. It'll probably do better in the English speaking markets. 

Said this weeks ago but no one agreed 

American comedies don’t usually do as well overseas as they do domestically 

The problem with the "lost in translation" stuff at least in my country is less "the jokes don't make sense" (they mostly do) and more about the fact that many theaters are screening almost exclusively (sometimes exclusively) dubbed versions of the film, and the dubbings I have seen have been pretty lame. Pretty much ruins the performances in the movie, and it's what pretty much carries it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Captain Marvel coming out when Captain Marvel has already came out seems confusing to me.

:sparta:

It's a case that people are not anxious to see a CBM when they have just seen one CMa couple of weeks ago  and know they will be seeing another one in just a couple of weeks. Sort of like not wanting to eat in a Chinese restaurant tongith when you ate in one Yesterday and know you will be eating in  one tomorrow. Most people would want a change inbetween.

To be fair, I understand that Warner's chose this date before they knew the CM and Endgame release dates. So it might just be a case of bad luck for Warners.

46 minutes ago, TheUndertaker said:

The problem with the "lost in translation" stuff at least in my country is less "the jokes don't make sense" (they mostly do) and more about the fact that many theaters are screening almost exclusively (sometimes exclusively) dubbed versions of the film, and the dubbings I have seen have been pretty lame. Pretty much ruins the performances in the movie, and it's what pretty much carries it.

SOmetimes humor not carrying over is not even a transalation issue. British Humor falls flat for a a lot of Americans.

And few British comedians make it big in the US;Monty Python was of course, an exception .

This film will not open as high as Aquaman and Wonder Woman (let alone OW behemoths like BvS, BP and IW), but mark my words...the family angle and the the charm, heart, and emotion that it has in spades will make it the DCEU's biggest multi. Even with IW in the horizon, families are going to love this movie. And it will be able to make bank despite IW. Not everyone is invested in the MCU's multi-movie narrative. Plenty of people around to enjoy this film as a genuinely strong crowd pleaser that the whole family can enjoy. Even if we have become so used to and so jaded about CBMs. Shazam manages to make us believe in the simple pleasures of a silly romp that is all about wish fullfilment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The more I think about this, the more I like it.

That trailer shot when he jumps out and yells SHAZAM! is one of the greatest shots in any superhero films ever. Shit, this might be one of my favourite superhero films ever? Just. so. good.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I reckon a sequel is likely even if it only does $350-400m. I think perhaps they could use Black Adam to raise interest in a Shazam sequel then tie both characters for a third film.

If they are smart, they will absolutely bring in The Rock/Black Adam for the sequel. With that, Shazam 2 has the potential to be Shazam's own The Dark Knight (in terms of a sequel exploding at the box office and increasing exponentially from the first film). 

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

The more I think about this, the more I like it.

That trailer shot when he jumps out and yells SHAZAM! is one of the greatest shots in any superhero films ever. Shit, this might be one of my favourite superhero films ever? Just. so. good.

This is definitely one of my favourite superhero movies ever, for sure in my top 10, probably a bit higher then that also. I just loved everything about the movie and the way it made me feel while watching it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they used Black Adam in the sequel  (Big Spoilers for Shazam in the tag)

Spoiler

I'd hope they'd save Mr.Mind and Sivana for the third movie then. Three villains in one movie, two of which are new would be a Spider-Man 3 or TASM2 all over again.

22 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If they used Black Adam in the sequel  (Big Spoilers for Shazam in the tag)

Hide contents

I'd hope they'd save Mr.Mind and Sivana for the third movie then. Three villains in one movie, two of which are new would be a Spider-Man 3 or TASM2 all over again.

Nah, I think they'll save Black Adam for his solo film and a crossover film with Shazam, for a Shazam 2

Mr Mind and the Monster Society of Evil would be more than enough plus the Seven Realms. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

I think EG hype is totally swallowing this. Tracking is really low and it only has a couple weeks to make money before no one is going to see it. Sucks since it's actually one of DCEU's offerings that don't suck. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think EG hype is totally swallowing this. Tracking is really low and it only has a couple weeks to make money before no one is going to see it. Sucks since it's actually one of DCEU's offerings that don't suck. 

Wonder Woman was great, Aquaman was great..  this post doesn't compute. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just got out. Probably my favorite DC movie behind The Dark Knight. I loved the humor and the overall story. Darla was hands down my favorite. She stole the movie imo I’ll probably watch it again in theaters. 

@CoolEric258 I had to chuckle several times throughout the movie because it was so obviously not shot in Philly. What’s up with those Septa signs? :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

🤔

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I just got out. Probably my favorite DC movie behind The Dark Knight. I loved the humor and the overall story. Darla was hands down my favorite. She stole the movie imo I’ll probably watch it again in theaters. 

@CoolEric258 I had to chuckle several times throughout the movie because it was so obviously not shot in Philly. What’s up with those Septa signs? :rofl:

Darla was adorable. Man, I can't believe the guy who wrote Earth to Echo - the worst of the ET wannabes - wrote such interesting characters in this.

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

You can only make Toronto look so much like Philly lol.

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Darla was adorable. Man, I can't believe the guy who wrote Earth to Echo - the worst of the ET wannabes - wrote such interesting characters in this.

I loved the movie because of the characters! There wasn’t one that I didn’t like which is weird cause usually when there’s this many, there’s always one to not like but not in this movie. The characters were all very well written and it def elevated the movie 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1