Olive

Weekend Numbers (4 day estimates pg 35)

Sin City 2 opened here last weekend and in 61 screens it sold a "massive" 6108 tickets. Stunning. That is a total of 100 persons per copy. 

Meanwhile Lucy already sold over 160000 tickets in 11 days  :lol:

• Like 1

Sin City 2 just came waaaayyyy too late by waiting until no one cared anymore, so the fact it flopped isn't really surprising. Even so, it's performance has been quite embarrassing. It's barely gonna make more than an infamous flop like Jonah Hex!

This so much.

The first film was never that well liked to begin with. The sequel's decline should have been a clear sign to the studio that enough was enough.

Empire Strikes Back, Godfather 2, Jaws 2, Temple of Doom and so many others dropped from the original.  Does that mean the originals weren't liked?  The second made 300 mill WW, there was plenty of interest in the third film.  The leak killed it, and then the WOM killed it even further.  If the leak hadn't happened, this would have done fine.

• Like 1

Anchorman 2 waited the same amount of time and it increased from the first in admissions. Granted, it didn't increase anywhere near as much as people thought it would, but--actually, that just shows that even a film that maintained a sizable following over such a long gap has an uphill battle to expand as anemically as AM2 did (without the Christmas break it could have even dropped in ticket sales).Harvey...stop greenlighting sequels to 6+ year old movies. It didn't work for Scream 4 or Spy Kids 4 or Scary Movie 5 or Sin City 2. (Actually, I think Dimension has now run out of franchises to belatedly continue. Unless they somehow get Rob Zombie back to do a Halloween III rather than just re-rebooting the franchise...)

Edited by TServo2049

About the revisionist thing I agree. Before the movie opened many of us were hopeful but we had some doubts and were cautious with estimates: Unknown characters, "weak" end of summer release date, weird vibe. Looking back in retrospect at GoTG elements it all seems like a no-brainer: It's got Disney marketing, Marvel branding and it combines the two most reliable genres in movies today: Live action Superheroes to attract teens/YA & animation/animated characters to attract families. :wub:Revisionist view: How did we ever doubt this thing? :D

I always thought that it would be huge and I was puzzled why so many people doubted it .Anyway I don't get the sin city2 hate ....

Safe to say GOTG took advantage of zero competition after Turtles.

Also that its like a mini Avengers film.

Meaning it was the crowd pleasing film of the summer handily. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

I don't hate Sin City 2. I just think it's a good illustration of the "limited window of opportunity" principle for direct sequels (reboots don't count) in anything but the most enduring franchises. Anchorman 2 was lucky to pass AM1's ticket sales, and the original had a following. The Santa Clause 2 was the 2nd biggest film of the highest-attended November of all time, and the 4th biggest film of the highest-attended holiday season, and it couldn't pass the gross of the original even with 8 years of inflation. Likewise, I think Dumb and Dumber To will have its work cut out for it to pass the unadjusted gross of the original (doable, but $150M is probably the ceiling).I've mostly stayed out of the SC2 thing except for a couple of historical statistical observations. (Now, if Mike Myers actually makes the dreaded Austin Powers 4 he has threatened us with on multiple occasions, I will delight at seeing that go down in flames like the Hindenburg...)

Edited by TServo2049

I hope GotG stays over 10M because it will be depressing to have a weekend with no movie over 10M. 

I sorta kinda want the previous lowest grossing #1 for a weekend (Jerry Maguire, $5,518,727 in its seventh weekend, January 24-26, 1997) to fall just for shits and giggles.