Neo

Jason Bourne | 7.29.2016 | One week IMAX release on August 26 thanks to Ben Hur flopping

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Greengrass is Hollywood royallty by the way, one of the very few A-List directors to command 10m$ a pop.

So yes he got 10M to shake his boot.... camera again for this.

Outside of his Bourne, none of his films have been huge hit. He sure is riding the "huge hit, one smaller hit, good salary" to it's fullest. 

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

9 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

It's almost as if they were real people.  :lol:

Of course ;) It's just interesting, as people paid to critically evaluate films, (even if reviews are at their essence opinions), that there are such radically different evaluations of a film, particularly on the same specific criteria or elements of the film. There are always those reviewers that will be "outliers" so to speak, but I find it interesting with very mixed reviewed films such as this. :)

Peace,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are always outliers but for this film most of the reviews seem to lay in the B/C level (2/4, 2.5/4, 3/4, 3/5) which fits with it's current 5.8/10 avg (which is a bit less than 3/5 stars)

3 hours ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Outside of his Bourne, none of his films have been huge hit. He sure is riding the "huge hit, one smaller hit, good salary" to it's fullest. 

Captain Phillips made over $100M, even if it was mostly on the strength of Hanks' drawing power in an acclaimed performance.

So...

I liked some aspects, but I do have qualms with it. Still deciding my thoughts, one thing definitely pissed me off.

However, I went to one of the least popular theaters in my city, and it was 85% full in the 7:30 showing. Very strong results, I can only imagine how the rest did.

Another sampling of very positive versus very negative reviews for those interested:

• "Made with a palpable sense of urgency, this tense, propulsive motion picture is a model of what mainstream entertainment can be like when everything goes right." - LA Times
  • "What could be a cash grab turns out to be the series' finest chapter, with the same piano-wire tension plus a narrative clarity lacking before." - Grade: A
  • "Through it all, Damon keeps us glued to the war going on inside Bourne's head. It's a brilliantly implosive performance; he owns the role and the movie. It's a tense, twisty mindbender anchored by something no computer can generate: soul." - 3.5/4 stars
  • "Despite regurgitating elements from the founding trilogy, Jason Bourne represents the best the series has yet offered." 3.5/4 stars - James Berardinelli

-------

• "It isn't just Bourne who's triumphantly returning. It's that hash of a style: the shaky-cam is back." 1/4 stars
  • "Director Paul Greengrass tries to up the perambulatory drama with lots of cuts, swishes, jiggles, and wobbles from his camera and swellings from his soundtrack, but the energy just isn't there." - 0/5 stars
  • "By the spectacular final chase scene, Jason Bourne goes into a sensory overload of loud noises, retina-torturing imagery and an incessantly wound-up score devoid of humanity, dimension or common sense." - 1.5/4 stars
  • "The character motivations are weak, and the story is poorly structured. But its camera work, possibly intended to distract audiences from the movie’s flaws, only compounds its problems. It distances the audience and makes Jason Bourne a chore to sit through."

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Australian opening suggests USD65m is the floor. 

Yeah, i think we are in for a surprise this weekend. 60-70m looks likely now after the AUS news. People are underestimating the power of the Bourne brand and Matt Damon at the peak of his career after The Martian.

• Like 2